Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Full Aldi list here

Multitool with chain breaker for €6 could be handy.

Decent light set is still only 5.99 as well (the design of the front light is different but it's still 2x Cree LED with built in USB plug so I reckon it's basically the same light)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I see they've moved away from the Muc-Off stuff in this offering (or is that Lidl?)

I'll be picking up a pair of the winter gloves, they're very good for the price. Anyone have the base layers (non merino)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

How're the Aldi merino base layers? I know it's been discussed before, but search on Boards remains pants

I have one from a number of years ago, and it's itchy. They may have improved since then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have 2. Don't find them itchy at all.

• Advertisement

They both had muc-off. I've used the tru tension stuff before and it's decent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not this version, but I have them from years ago and still regularly use them commuting. Not convinced on the wicking of any baselayer, with the caveat that I tend to over layer/ dress on the bike due to circulation issues (and have a weakness for cheap chinese retro jerseys!).

I might have a punt on one if they have them in locally. One more question on sizing. I remember buying tops in Lidl/Aldi before where the thinking seemed to be that Tadgh Furlong was an example of a normal sized human. I presume the usual size up for most other cycling gear doesn't apply?

• Advertisement

If not size down, based upon the last jersey I picked up (for a whole 2.99 reduced).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Definitely getting a few cans/bottles of cleaner for the bike. It's good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Whats the thoughts on the wet and dry lube for winter commuting? Which would you go for??

Wet I reckon, is it any good though?

This comes up fairly regularly. It's fairly evenly divided between people who use dry lube all year round, and just apply it more regularly in winter, and those who switch between the two. Personally I've been using dry lube only for a number of years, because I found that the wet lube was particularly difficult to clean.

Having said that, I just bought a bottle of Fenwicks All Conditions lube, as I've seen it being recommended by a few different sources

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've used the wet and dry lubes. I kinda gave up on the dry lube after a recent event around Wicklow where the rain seemed to wash it away and I spent several Kms listening to the noise before the event mechanic was able to provide me with lube (this sentence sounded better in my head!). However, as per @cletus's post above, it is diffictult to keep the casette and chain clean when using wet lube (which is why I originally went over to dry lube).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as i've probably mentioned a few times, i use wet lube as a 'base' lube after stripping a chain dry or a deep clean. i would never apply it more than about once every 4 or 8 weeks; let it get deep into the links but top up with dry lube only then.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

FYi - The description of the bike light set online is incorrect. The set in store is not Rechargeable and has no brightness controls.

that might explain why they're so cheap (though the previous high power rechargeable set were being sold off on clearance for that price quite recently as discussed further up this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

Yeah, I thought it was too good to be true !.

I picked up a pair of the basic cycling socks and they appear to be decent quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I picked up a few bits including some wet lube 😁

Also grabbed the gloves but the XL is fairly snug on my maulers. They will do as fall back but guess I need to venture elsewhere now for the commute. Wonder have Lidl anything planned in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

And they all seemed to be in rathnew. None in my local.

picked up the last multitool in Greystones and a base layer (not the merino one, but it seems pretty warm nonetheless).

there didn't seem to be any of the Tru Tension cleaning/lube stuff on the shelf.

I picked up a couple in size L last night, and on me they're a relaxed fit, so I could have probably gone M (for the psychological benefits it nothing else 😁). For reference, I'd go for XL in Galibier tops. For what it's worth to all the Galibier fans out there (there might be a few of ye!), I'd say the chest measurements on the back of the pack correspond quite well with the Galibier measurements on their site (not the sizes though) if you're wondering.

Only tried it very briefly for size, but it feels nice - I wouldn't have had it on long enough to determine it was scratchy as @cletus mentioned

I picked up a large too. I also could have probably sized down, and I'm also an XL in Galibier tops.

I won't change it, though, as the sleeve length is good on me (I have stupid long gorilla arms).

Was only running in for the tea, but the lubes and cleaners were by the till in Rathnew. Or at least some of them (picked up a brush!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Whatever about the style, cut/fit, quality of the fabric, stitching, zip, etc - the colours of the jetseys are terrible. It's like they've intentionally tried to make the ugliest jerseys ever.

In general, I agree. I have one jersey, however, that I use regularly for Spring/Autumn spins from Aldi (Lidl?)

It's plain blue, long sleeve, merino wool, except for a wind blocking panel on the chest. It's a ¾ zip too.

When you say a brush, do you mean a cleaning/detailing brush?

Chain cleaning brush - brush at one end, u shaped brush the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

My old man who is only a recent convert to cycling did the Ring of Kerry with me last year, it was a very wet day. I don't think I will ever forget his look of utter mortification when I stopped at the mechanic in Kenmare and said to him "d'you've any lube man?".

Advertisement