Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has our plumber taken us for a ride

Options
  • 21-09-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife engaged a local plumber (North Co Dublin) to do the following;

Fix 2 cisterns in ensuite and downstairs WC that were taking ages to re-fill - access to both is difficult and involved removing tiles and plasterboard due to the crap design and construction of our house.

Replace tap in downstairs WC - very straightforward job with easy access

Replace tap in ensuite - access difficult here also.

Wife went to suppliers and bought taps, came back and they were somehow wrong. Wife returns to suppliers and long phone argument between shop and plumber ensues. Wife eventually returns with correct taps.

9 hours later as he is finishing up I ask how much I owe him. He says 9 hours labour x €50 = €450. I arrived home at 3pm and helped him for the last 2 hours. He still left the place in an awful mess. If I want an invoice he will have to charge VAT on top of that.

Now I know it wasn't the easiest of jobs but I would have said 5 hours at an absolute maximum would have been adequate for any competent tradesman.

Thoughts?

My own is if he arrived this morning and quoted a figure of €450 he would have been swiftly shown the door
    MOD NOTE: Don't turn this thread into a tradesmen bashing thread. Stick to the original post when answering or I will hand out infractions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

No tradesman will quote for 5 hours as they usually can't fit in another job that day. They will stretch out to 7 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its one of those things. Try negotiate a bit see if can do for €400. Plumbers are very hard to get bit like back 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

thegills wrote: »
    No tradesman will quote for 5 hours as they usually can't fit in another job that day. They will stretch out to 7 hours.

Even at €350 cash in the hand I would suggest he would be very well paid.

Its one of those things. Try negotiate a bit see if can do for €400. Plumbers are very hard to get bit like back 10 years ago.

He was rang yesterday afternoon and was available to come the morning after so he obviously wasn't that busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Did you not ask him the price before he started?

• Advertisement

Did you not ask him the price before he started?

Unfortunately not:rolleyes: My wife took responsibility for the hiring of this guy.

It's usually X euro for first hour or two and then Y euro after that. It's a full days pay from what you described. How much exactly do you want to pay him?

As long as the work is good quality (I appreciate there appears to be a mess to clean up but is the work itself good?) then I'd pay and move on considering you've had everything sorted in 1 day.

It seems a little expensive for the job but not if the plumber was onsite for 9 hours- was he competent enough in the first place or was it just that none or few of the jobs were easy?

You might want to look at it this way- if the job is good and done, then what price would you actually pay to have all of this sorted? I think it will just depress you, if you go around thinking you've been ripped off- there's probably 80 euro in the difference between the low-end estimate and hi-end estimate for this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I would usually work on the basis that if you don't make a price for a job you just suck it up and pay.

It's usually X euro for first hour or two and then Y euro after that. It's a full days pay from what you described. How much exactly do you want to pay him?

I suppose my question is how many plumbers (or anyone for that matter) are clearing €450 cash in the hand for a days work?

As long as the work is good quality (I appreciate there appears to be a mess to clean up but is the work itself good?) then I'd pay and move on considering you've had everything sorted in 1 day.

Hard to quantify - time will tell how good the work is

It seems a little expensive for the job but not if the plumber was onsite for 9 hours- was he competent enough in the first place or was it just that none or few of the jobs were easy?

To be honest he came across as very incompetent. The Mrs said the staff in the plumbers shop knew him and gave the same impression

You might want to look at it this way- if the job is good and done, then what price would you actually pay to have all of this sorted? I think it will just depress you, if you go around thinking you've been ripped off- there's probably 80 euro in the difference between the low-end estimate and hi-end estimate for this job.
    Its not sorted yet. There is probably the guts of a days work for a tiler to put everything right - tbf not all his fault

I paid him €150 on the spot because it was all I had. Giving serious consideration to giving him €150 more next week and instructing him never to darken my door again. I have never felt this way before about a tradesman and would be of the view that a man should be well paid for good work

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems a crazy price if he had no outlay on any parts whatsoever. 450.00 to mess around with a few taps, geez if he is getting that everyday with no outlay he's a very well paid man.

• Advertisement

Seems a crazy price if he had no outlay on any parts whatsoever. 450.00 to mess around with a few taps, geez if he is getting that everyday with no outlay he's a very well paid man.

My point exactly. I'd say the most gifted tradesmen in the country are not clearing close to €450 a day into the hand...this guy was far from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

veetwin wrote:
    9 hours later as he is finishing up I ask how much I owe him. He says 9 hours labour x €50 = €450. I arrived home at 3pm and helped him for the last 2 hours. He still left the place in an awful mess. If I want an invoice he will have to charge VAT on top of that.

Not having a pop at the op but usually when homeowners try to help I end up tripping over them and they make the job harder. Op I'm not saying that was the case today.

I'm sure he used a few fittings out of the van and they have to be paid for. I'd have been happy if he'd charged 450 inc vat

Tell him that you want a vat invoice as you can claim it back on the home improvement scheme. At least that way he'll have to declare the 450 as earnings if that makes you feel better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you give the full amount maybe revenue may like to know and it may well be he is claiming welfare.

It does sound extreme especially as pointed out above he had parts given to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

veetwin wrote:

Need any electrical work done??? 😉😉

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not having a pop at the op but usually when homeowners try to help I end up tripping over them and they make the job harder. Op I'm not saying that was the case today.

He asked me for help

I'm sure he used a few fittings out of the van and they have to be paid for. I'd have been happy if he'd charged 450 inc vat

I'd be amazed if he used €5 worth of his own fittings

Tell him that you want a vat invoice as you can claim it back on the home improvement scheme. At least that way he'll have to declare the 450 as earnings if that makes you feel better

]

If I ask him for a vat invoice I will be liable to a further 13.5% on top of the €450 as well as legitimising his extraordinary fee. Also I think the home improvement scheme involves spending several thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

450 bucks in the hand is extortion, especially considering the type of work done even if you are paying Dublin rates.

That said you should always define your expectation's for the job and rates before agreeing to have the work done.

I really can't believe the fee though - ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Plumber removed and fitted a new toilet and cistern for me a while ago. More than a half days work involved and he also bought a fitting. €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

veetwin wrote:
    My own is if he arrived this morning and quoted a figure of €450 he would have been swiftly shown the door

Why didn't your wife negotiate a price before he started, didn't he even give a quote?

veetwin wrote:
    If I ask him for a vat invoice I will be liable to a further 13.5% on top of the €450 as well as legitimising his extraordinary fee. Also I think the home improvement scheme involves spending several thousand

I'm not sure how the scheme works tbh. I know that you don't have to spend all on the one job. Several people have claimed back for showers I have done and they would all be less than 450.

I don't know how hard the work was or wasn't so can't comment on the bill. I will say that I don't like that it's cash in hand. My daughter works 39 hours per week and comes home with a lot less than 450 for the week.

450 cash in hand is worth 900 before tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

When you hear that cash price BS run for the hills, because that's what the plumber will be doing once paid.....

• Advertisement

Why didn't your wife negotiate a price before he started, didn't he even give a quote?

Ah jasus Jimmy you didn't need to bring that up. I'm sure the atmosphere is frosty enough in the house as it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

You're mistake OP was not agreeing a price before he started. Can't really tell how difficult the job was so don't know if 9 hours was justified for it.
    Even if it was the price seems a lot even allowing for the fact you're in Dublin. I'd be negotiating it if possible.
    How did your wife find this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sleeper12 wrote:
    Ah jasus Jimmy you didn't need to bring that up. I'm sure the atmosphere is frosty enough in the house as it is.

Then I guess there's no point suggesting to her the next time that she answers the door in a see sexy negligee and ask if he'll take any other form of payment.... ☺ï¸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Jesus I had to double take there. Take one letter out of that sentence and it takes on a whole new meaning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

veetwin wrote:

€50 per hour is about right I would think, if he was there for 9 hours you owe him the €450. You helping him for 2 hours doesn't reduce his rate some would say it should increase his rate. Remember when you give him €450 he hasn't cleared €450 into his pocket he has overheads like any other business and is allowed make a profit on top of his wages otherwise he might as well be payee.

EHP wrote: »
    €50 per hour is about right I would think, if he was there for 9 hours you owe him the €450. You helping him for 2 hours doesn't reduce his rate some would say it should increase his rate. Remember when you give him €450 he hasn't cleared €450 into his pocket he has overheads like any other business and is allowed make a profit on top of his wages otherwise he might as well be payee.

I'd normally totally agree if he gave a vat receipt but it's cash in hand. We shouldn't even be talking about "cash" jobs but it is what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

450 euro for a days pay? Ffs time to retrain i think. And thats cash to.

EHP wrote: »

Eh considering the materials were bought for him 450 most certainly is a ride.

Back to good auld rip off ireland.

You're mistake OP was not agreeing a price before he started. Can't really tell how difficult the job was so don't know if 9 hours was justified for it.
    Even if it was the price seems a lot even allowing for the fact you're in Dublin. I'd be negotiating it if possible.

I dont agree that its op mistake. Its a case of a plumber trying to fleece them. But there are a lot of dishonest ones around.

50 euro an hour.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Give him 300 or 350 which seems about fair for the job. And then see how much of a fuss or effort he makes to get the rest of the money?

Advertisement