Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies looking for cash payments

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

davo10 wrote: »
    Wow.

Now that I think of it, you are aware that your scenario is rather pointless due to the Small Gift Exemption anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

L1011 wrote: »
    Now that I think of it, you are aware that your scenario is rather pointless due to the Small Gift Exemption anyway?

You are aware that pension contributions are the best (and probably last) way of reducing tax on your income. You are getting the benefit of a pension and writing off 40%. The irony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I know, we should all pay more vat. If you have loads, stand on your principles, but for small jobs on your house, save a few quid and spend it on the kids.

If your employer came to you one day and said "Hey John, your doing a great job, here's €235 cash" would you say, no, I'm not taking that, I want to pay 40% tax on it?
    I had almost that situation yesterday except my employer doesn't defraud the local tax office. I received an exceptional bonus of €2000 gross for some good work I did in the last few weeks. I will see less than half of that in my pay packet at the end of the month.

I've seen the other side too in the family business where the customer demands the ex-vat cash price for product that is being bought in through the books and must go through the books selling onward. You tell them you can't do that knowing that they'll find a more flexible competitor who gives them what they want ex VAT.
    Tax evasion is ingrained in the psyche of many Irish people over many generations.

It's not right but shur isn't everyone at it so it can't be that bad...no wonder Ireland's national debt is nudging 200Bn Euro. cue whataboutery re: bankers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are aware that pension contributions are the best (and probably last) way of reducing tax on your income. You are getting the benefit of a pension and writing off 40%. The irony.

Legally. And I meant the %, not getting the inexplicable bonus (that was so low it could be given as a gift card under the SGE) as an employer pension contribution.

Legally. And I meant the %, not getting the inexplicable bonus (that was so low it could be given as a gift card under the SGE) as an employer pension contribution.

My point being, not everyone can afford to make pension contributions and make use of the 40% relief, some/maybe most, would appreciate the cash in hand.

• Advertisement

My point being, not everyone can afford to make pension contributions and make use of the 40% relief, some/maybe most, would appreciate the cash in hand.

Says the person boasting about paying more tax yet being perfectly willing to defraud the state?

There is endemic tax evasion in certain business sectors in Ireland - it is not about a consumer appreciating a discount or the vendor appreciating a bit of cash in hand; it is outright robbery of every other tax payer.

Says the person boasting about paying more tax yet being perfectly willing to defraud the state?

There is endemic tax evasion in certain business sectors in Ireland - it is not about a consumer appreciating a discount or the vendor appreciating a bit of cash in hand; it is outright robbery of every other tax payer.

Not boasting, saying I give enough, and if a builder will do a job a couple of hundred € cheaper for cash, I apologise to no one for paying it. Your the knob saying I want to pay tax and pension contributions on a few quid. Good boy yourself.

Not boasting, saying I give enough, and if a builder will do a job a couple of hundred € cheaper for cash, I apologise to no one for paying it. Your the knob saying I want to pay tax and pension contributions on a few quid. Good boy yourself.

Do not post on this topic, or in this manner on another thread, again

Advertisement