Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies looking for cash payments

Options
  • 21-09-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of this happening.

Most recently I had issue with pipes under house. Called out drain company. €100 cash for call out. Appeared to be broken pipes. Used cctv. €240 to clear out debris to have a better look and 50/50 chance it could be repaired and may need builder to dig up kitchen. In the end the repairs worked.€1500 to put in repairs. When I asked what the final total was it was rounded up to €1800. There was never a mention of cash.
    They knew I'd approach insurer and they said they'd have to create invoice and add vat on. As it's wear and tear insurance won't cover it. I told him I'd give a cheque. No that was the cash price he claimed and he'd have to create a paper trail and add vat if I wanted to pay by cheque.

I had a refurbishment earlier this year spent €9000 and never saw an invoice despite asking for it many times.

I'm annoyed that every time I have to get work done it has to be done on the side. I have to pay tax USC Prsi on my earnings yet they're getting my cash in their back pocket.

I feel like reporting latest to revenue. Any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Allinall

Most recently I had issue with pipes under house. Called out drain company. €100 cash for call out. Appeared to be broken pipes. Used cctv. €240 to clear out debris to have a better look and 50/50 chance it could be repaired and may need builder to dig up kitchen. In the end the repairs worked.€1500 to put in repairs. When I asked what the final total was it was rounded up to €1800. There was never a mention of cash.
    They knew I'd approach insurer and they said they'd have to create invoice and add vat on. As it's wear and tear insurance won't cover it. I told him I'd give a cheque. No that was the cash price he claimed and he'd have to create a paper trail and add vat if I wanted to pay by cheque.

I had a refurbishment earlier this year spent €9000 and never saw an invoice despite asking for it many times.

I'm annoyed that every time I have to get work done it has to be done on the side. I have to pay tax USC Prsi on my earnings yet they're getting my cash in their back pocket.

Sort it out in advance.

Any reputable company will accept a bank transfer or debit/ credit card payment.

Cheques are out, though. They are so rare these days that anyone offering to pay by cheque is immediately viewed with suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Allinall wrote: »
    Sort it out in advance.

Any reputable company will accept a bank transfer or debit/ credit card payment.

Cheques are out, though. They are so rare these days that anyone offering to pay by cheque is immediately viewed with suspicion.

That wasn't really the point.

I could have paid by credit transfer. This "legit" company is doing jobs off the books and pocketing the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Next rime ask before they start if the price includes vat. I have no doubt they prefer cash but it also depends who you work with. We always quote ex vat and charge vat on top because we mostly deal with other businesses who claim back vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

You've also potentially lost out on making a claim on the home improvement revenue scheme on the €9k outlay

meeeeh wrote: »
    Next rime ask before they start if the price includes vat. I have no doubt they prefer cash but it also depends who you work with. We always quote ex vat and charge vat on top because we mostly deal with other businesses who claim back vat.

It's not about preferring cash. It's about criminal activity.

You charge vat. These see it as a handy excuse not to record the business. No corporation tax, vat or income tax.

• Advertisement

It's not about preferring cash. It's about criminal activity.

You charge vat. These see it as a handy excuse not to record the business. No corporation tax, vat or income tax.

But you don't want to pay vat either. They told you that then the price is 1800 plus vat. They should make it clear that the price is ex vat when quoting, I agree they are defrauding the state but you are not prepared to pay extra 13.5% or 23% or whatever it is either.

But you don't want to pay vat either. They told you that then the price is 1800 plus vat. They should make it clear that the price is ex vat when quoting, I agree they are defrauding the state but you are not pretend to pay extra 13.5% or 23% or whatever it is either.

I didn't say that. I was given a price which I assumed fairly was the final price which I agreed to. It's not about me not paying 13.5% it's them defrauding the taxpayer of their share of tax.

Will be reported to revenue tomorrow. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

If quoting to a consumer is there not a law that requires the figure to be inclusive of VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

consumers prices should be quoted inc-vat

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    If quoting to a consumer is there not a law that requires the figure to be inclusive of VAT.

No but there is a law requiring registered businesses to declare all income and pay appropriate vat, corporation and income taxes instead of pocketing the cash directly into their back pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

No but there is a law requiring registered businesses to declare all income and pay appropriate vat, corporation and income taxes instead of pocketing the cash directly into their back pocket.

ok

You are right, they should issue you an invoice for 1800.00 + vat and you should pay it. Then there would be no tax default then.

You are right, they should issue you an invoice for 1800.00 + vat and you should pay it. Then there would be no tax default then.

Agreed, if it actually make them put the entirety of the invoice through their books and records and they paid their share of Vat, corporation, income tax.

Or even put €1800 incl. vat through the system. That's the price they quoted albeit expecting to get cash so they could back pocket it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/pricing_of_goods_and_services.html
    Under the Prices and Charges (Tax- Inclusive Statements) Order 1973 all prices for goods and services available to the consumer must be inclusive of all taxes including Value Added Tax (VAT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

No. No. No.

If they issued a quote for 1800 then that quote has to include VAT. That's the law.

OP, you're dead right.

Thanks guys appreciate your posts.

I've nothing in writing though to prove €1800 is the full quote. It was all verbal. After job was done he did up email for me for insurer which stated 1800+Vat. That was first mention of the price plus vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Thanks guys appreciate your posts.

I've nothing in writing though to prove €1800 is the full quote. It was all verbal. After job was done he did up email for me for insurer which stated 1800+Vat. That was first mention of the price plus vat.

No doubt you will be returning the €235 to the insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

davo10 wrote: »
    No doubt you will be returning the €235 to the insurer.

Per the first post, it's not being covered by insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Cash is legal tender no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sasta le wrote: »
    Cash is legal tender no?

That has nothing to do with the discussion on companies looking for cash to avoid declaring revenues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Allinall wrote: »
    Sort it out in advance.

In business 45 years , always pay by cheque never any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

I have to pay tax USC Prsi on my earnings
    Also you have to pay VAT on the goods and services you buy. Yes, that is you, not them, that are charged VAT. They only collect it for the taxman.
    So when you accept a cash-in-hand no VAT price, you avoid paying the VAT, and they avoid paying the other taxes.

I'm not pointing fingers and passing blame, just telling. I have no standing in this, I'm paye paying all that to the taxman.

I absolutely hate when people charge me €235 less for their services. Ruins my day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I absolutely hate when people charge me €235 less for their services. Ruins my day.

I don't like it when the state has to cut essential services due to rampant tax evasion in certain sectors of business.

L1011 wrote: »
    I don't like it when the state has to cut essential services due to rampant tax evasion in certain sectors of business.

Do you not feel you are being fleeced anyway by the state without handing over more money for repairs on your house? I've paid cash to builders to cut the price, but I pay a lot more tax than you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I hate it when people support the 'grey/black' economy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you not feel you are being fleeced anyway by the state without handing over more money for repairs on your house? I've paid cash to builders to cut the price, but I pay a lot more tax than you do.

No, because I'm not a neoliberal. And its rather presumptive to assume you're paying more tax than someone you don't know.

I would have hoped I didn't need to remind a regular poster that encouraging fraud is not allowed here.

I hate it when people support the 'grey/black' economy.

I know, we should all pay more vat. If you have loads, stand on your principles, but for small jobs on your house, save a few quid and spend it on the kids.

If your employer came to you one day and said "Hey John, your doing a great job, here's €235 cash" would you say, no, I'm not taking that, I want to pay 40% tax on it?

If your employer came to you one day and said "Hey John, your doing a great job, here's €235 cash" would you say, no, I'm not taking that, I want to pay 40% tax on it?

I'd want the pension contributions, ability for it to be reckoned for any calculations based on total salary and so on. That requires it to be paid by payroll. My employer also doesn't deliberately act to defraud the state.

Another reminder that encouraging fraud is not allowed here.

In the case of 9k work the OP had done, they would have got the VAT back under the HRI anyway.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd want the pension contributions.

Wow.

Advertisement