Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 Football All Stars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    Beaten twice, same last year doesn't seem to matter. Thought AOS was decent against Derry though, although Derry wouldn't be considered a test for Dublin by the logic of some.

AOS played one terrible and one great game against Kerry, while operating between 3 and 8.
    He didn't score in the final again and was bunched again at 55 minutes
    Rock scores four from play in the final this year and the winning free.

Yet AOS is being put forward for an all-star in a forward position.

The Tyrone team that Dublin defeated was the same team Mayo just about won against last year, but Tyrone, a top 4 side are not considered a test now for one simple reason, Dublin beat them well, yet that's not to be counted as players playing well.

I have to say that some Mayo supporters have been unjustly using POTY and the All Stars as consolation prizes for a few years now. It's bad form.

These teams are good if Mayo beat them but not a test when Dublin beat them.

Mayo had all the extra games because they lost and drew games against poor opposition, yet they want 3 or 4 forwards as all stars including a lad who played full back

Thats it in a nutshell.

Keegan was given POTY last year based largely on his contribution against Tyrone. It was deemed worthy because Tyrone were a good side. COC dismantled them even more so this year and its ignored. Mannion scored 7 points from play against Division 1 Monaghan and its largely ignored. The reaction would have been completely different had a Mayo player put up a similar performance in any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

corny wrote: »
    Thats it in a nutshell.

Keegan was given POTY last year based largely on his contribution against Tyrone. It was deemed worthy because Tyrone were a good side. COC dismantled them even more so this year and its ignored. Mannion scored 7 points from play against Division 1 Monaghan and its largely ignored. The reaction would have been completely different had a Mayo player put up a similar performance in any game.

Keegan won poty last year because he was the best player in the country by a mile. His peers voted and they know more about it than you or me or anyone else on here. And no amount of in-county thanking is going to change that im afraid.
    Tyrone didnt show up this year. Surely you arent that arrogant that you think you are just that much better than they are? You drew with them in the league ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It was definitely a factor in his 3 first half misses, I have no doubt about that. The one that dropped short was probably just a miss-cue, but the others could have been playing on his mind at that stage.
    It was definitely a factor?

Dean Rock told you this did he?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    It was definitely a factor?

Dean Rock told you this did he?

Ah ffs. What a joke of a response.
    I could go back to your post on the ogara eye gouge incident and ask if colm boyle told you ogara didnt gouge him in the eye, but frankly im not childish enough to use a response like that.

If you cant see the wind gave people trouble in the game, that is your issue. You seem to have little interest in the actual topic so i wont waste my time

I could go back to your post on the ogara eye gouge incident and ask if colm boyle told you ogara didnt gouge him in the eye, but frankly im not childish enough to use a response like that.

If you cant see the wind gave people trouble in the game, that is your issue. You seem to have little interest in the actual topic so i wont waste my time
    A stupid reply

I can see from the video that O'Gara's finger was in Boyle's mouth and not his eye

As for Rock, you can't claim the wind was definitely a factor in his scuffed 45 (it more than likely was in the free that lead to it) no matter how much you want it to have been.

I know you can never be wrong and always have to have the last word on here so I'll leave you to it.

A stupid reply

I can see from the video that O'Gara's finger was in Boyle's mouth and not his eye

As for Rock, you can't claim the wind was definitely a factor in his scuffed 45 (it more than likely was in the free that lead to it) no matter how much you want it to have been.

I know you can never be wrong and always have to have the last word on here so I'll leave you to it.

No an accurate reply.
    Ogaras puts his fingers in both his eye and his mouth. You can see that from the clip. Just like you can see from the clip, the effects of the wind on various kicks towards the hill end, dean rocks included. Has it not occured to you that he tried to put more on it because of the wind and ended up snatching at it? That would be an effect wouldnt it?
    The reality is I dont have to ask either person involved to see this... Your point is childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Very selective stuff here. AOS was being touted for poty ahead of the semi final. He had put in numerous performances where he was in the running for motm up to that point

A completely uninformed post again. Where is the all star forward play, what division teams was it against? was it in the qualifiers?

So AOS to get an All-star in the forwards, nailed on in your words.

You tell me he played at midfield and fullback. You talk about having a great replay against Kerry, at fullback / midfield.

AOS was injured for a couple of games
    He played fullback against Kerry with his man contributing to 1-6
    In the replay he was much improved at midfield/fullback
    In the final he played in the half forward line and didn't score (no score now in four out of four final)
    He was bunched with 25 %, the championship quarter still to play

So he missed games due injury
    Played in the full back line twice
    Played in midfield
    Played just 75% of the final
    Didn't score in yet another final
    Wasn't there when the game was there to be won

Absolutely no way he was all-star material this year. If he was mayo might have won.

What makes it worse is the double standards. Let's apply a similar critique of cluxton shall we? He made one save and had one good long kickout in the run up to the final, that is it. He was the worst player on the pitch for the first half of the final, and spent the second half kicking 10 yards out of fear of going any longer. He made one good save. Clarke made more good saves in 10 seconds against Kerry than cluxton did all year. He made less bad kickouts all year than cluxton did in the first half of the final.

Lol double standards.

Let's look at your argument.

"Clarke made more good saves in 10 seconds against Kerry than Cluxton did all year."

Cluxton conceded 2 goals in the championship

Clarke let in 8 goals in the championship

Clarke let in the same amount of goals in one game against Roscommon as Cluxton did for the entire championship.

Clarke was lobbed and had the second goal put between his legs in the spell against Roscommon when he was rattled.

"Clarke made less bad kickouts all year than Cluxton did in the first half of the final"

Cluxton was 6 bad from 14 in the first half and 6 bad from 25 overall in the final.

So Clarke made less than 6 bad kickouts all year? so 5 or less, all year ?
    He gifted McCarthy a mark towards the end of the game as one of two kickouts from four won by Dublin in the last 10 of the game
    He put the next ball out over the sideline from a kickout. So at the end of that game alone he had 3 bad kickouts.

So even if he was 100% up to that point, and he wasn't, he only had 2 poor kickouts over the other 9 games, one of which was a loss?

"He(Cluxton) was the worst player on the pitch for the first half of the final"

Maybe he was,people will remember how bad Clarke was though.
    Clarke giving McCarthy primary possession, caving and putting the next kickout over the sideline, handing Dublin possession again. IMO he contributed more than any other Mayo player still on the pitch to Mayo's loss by giving Dublin the ball when the game was in the melting pot.

TBH your points are getting embarrassing at this stage imo, calling people childish. Yet you highlight the oppositions keeper being the worst player on the first half of a game when you're own keeper probably cost Mayo the game when it actually counted. It says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

blanch152 wrote: »
    The reasons why Dublin won the All-Ireland were all mental, O'Connor missing his free (as I predicted months ago he would), Rock nailing his free, and then finally Clarke putting his kick-out over the sideline (another prediction of mine that he would mess up). But Clarke and O'Connor can have their All-Stars as consolation.

To be fair Cillian O'Connor's free was more difficult than Rock's. A 50-50 chance as opposed to an 80-20 one in Rock's case. Dublin fouled in a position where the resulting free was going to be a difficult one, Mayo on the other hand committed suicide by fouling where they did at that stage as Dean Rock was never likely to miss from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No an accurate reply.
    Ogaras puts his fingers in both his eye and his mouth. You can see that from the clip. Just like you can see from the clip, the effects of the wind on various kicks towards the hill end, dean rocks included. Has it not occured to you that he tried to put more on it because of the wind and ended up snatching at it? That would be an effect wouldnt it?
    The reality is I dont have to ask either person involved to see this... Your point is childish.

The producer of the Sunday Game said that they took all the footage of the game, replayed it over and over, slowed it down frame by frame and, they still could not see evidence that O'Gara did anything that merited a discussion on the show that night. They also watched footage from cameras that the viewing public never saw. But naturally, you know more than he does. :rolleyes:

And you are the one calling others childish? I'd tell you to cop yourself on, but so many people have already (including those from your own county,) there really is no point. Your levels of delusion and myopia are very entertaining. Keep it up.

(The producer of the Sunday Game is a proud Cork man btw, before you decide to scream Dublin bias.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

So...the All Stars then?

Same As wrote:
    So...the All Stars then?

Sorry Same as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Last year, was it the Hurling All Stars that were not disclosed until the All Star Event was televised? Will that be the case again this year, or will the Football awards only be revealed on the night?

Yeah, it was the hurling all stars revealed on the night of the event last year, the football ones the day before.

No idea why they don't name both all star teams on the night tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The producer of the Sunday Game said that they took all the footage of the game, replayed it over and over, slowed it down frame by frame and, they still could not see evidence that O'Gara did anything that merited a discussion on the show that night. They also watched footage from cameras that the viewing public never saw. But naturally, you know more than he does. :rolleyes:

And you are the one calling others childish? I'd tell you to cop yourself on, but so many people have already (including those from your own county,) there really is no point. Your levels of delusion and myopia are very entertaining. Keep it up.

(The producer of the Sunday Game is a proud Cork man btw, before you decide to scream Dublin bias.)

But he likes coddle. Definite Dublin bias there.

• Advertisement

A completely uninformed post again. Where is the all star forward play, what division teams was it against? was it in the qualifiers?

So AOS to get an All-star in the forwards, nailed on in your words.

You tell me he played at midfield and fullback. You talk about having a great replay against Kerry, at fullback / midfield.

AOS was injured for a couple of games
    He played fullback against Kerry with his man contributing to 1-6
    In the replay he was much improved at midfield/fullback
    In the final he played in the half forward line and didn't score (no score now in four out of four final)
    He was bunched with 25 %, the championship quarter still to play

So he missed games due injury
    Played in the full back line twice
    Played in midfield
    Played just 75% of the final
    Didn't score in yet another final
    Wasn't there when the game was there to be won

Absolutely no way he was all-star material this year. If he was mayo might have won.

Ah you're too harsh Stoner.

To my eye he touched the ball more than any other player in the first half. KK has been lavished with praise for performing that function with Dublin yet I haven't heard anyone mention it for O'Shea. I have to say I was impressed with how influential he was.

Also, he did weaken in the last 10 but he wasn't the only Mayo player and unlike previous games against Dublin he wasn't exposed at any stage. His shot was his only mistake and it wasn't a stupid mistake as the commentary lads remarked. It was crying out for someone to have a pop.

He was up **** creek playing full back. I wouldn't put a minus beside his name for that. In every other game I say him I thought he was consistently good.

I didn't suggest Kilkenny was an all-star this year either.

All Star forwards should score and play in the forward lines Corny.

There's no room for either of them in the all star team 2017 imo.

Look at Moran, scoring all the way through, setting up goals, that's all star play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Look at Moran, scoring all the way through, setting up goals, that's all star play

Get with the times Stoner... most teams only have 2-3 "forwards" as we once knew them.

corny wrote: »
    Ah you're too harsh Stoner.

To my eye he touched the ball more than any other player in the first half. KK has been lavished with praise for performing that function with Dublin yet I haven't heard anyone mention it for O'Shea. I have to say I was impressed with how influential he was.

Also, he did weaken in the last 10 but he wasn't the only Mayo player and unlike previous games against Dublin he wasn't exposed at any stage. His shot was his only mistake and it wasn't a stupid mistake as the commentary lads remarked. It was crying out for someone to have a pop.

He was up **** creek playing full back. I wouldn't put a minus beside his name for that. In every other game I say him I thought he was consistently good.

And Donaghy "contributed" 0-1 to the scoreboard in that first game. What other "FB" in the game gets subjected to the "his man had a hand in X points" type of analysis. Only Aido.

He was bought in to do a job. He did that job. In doing so, he also got lead on a few merry dances out the field. Donaghy had the upper hand but it was on Mayos/O'Shea's terms.

His performance in the replay was immense imo. He had a good final too. Up until that he was definitely one of our most influential players.

We lost against Galway. He didn't play until late on.
    We narrowly lost the final, if he wasn't goosed for the last 10-15 then it could have been a different outcome.

You've gone down in my estimations Stoner, they were never that high anyway :)

PARlance wrote:
    Get with the times Stoner... most teams only have 2-3 "forwards" as we once knew them.

This isn't a real team PARlance, it's All Star team.

We must have a go at fantasy football sometime!

Between Mayo and Dublin alone it's easy to select 6 scoring forwards and KK and AOS wouldn't make it IMO.

• Advertisement

This isn't a real team PARlance, it's All Star team.

We must have a go at fantasy football sometime!

Between Mayo and Dublin alone it's easy to select 6 scoring forwards and KK and AOS wouldn't make it IMO.

I think the All Star team should probably reflect the way the game is being played. HF's aren't what the once were. I'm sure the HB's will have attacking players who may not be the best defensive man markers.

But I don't think about it too much. Stick O'Shea in at FB ;)

I know but my point was KK has been lauded over the past two seasons for the role. If Keegan didn't show him up so badly in the final he'd probably just be picked as another automatic. O'Shea hasn't been given any of that credit for a seemingly identical role in the final. A wider point i know.

Out of interest who did you go for as the 6 forwards?

corny wrote:
    Out of interest who did you go for as the 6 forwards?

I think McLoughlan, Doherty, Moran had good seasons, Rock and Mannion too, O'Callaghan had a good introduction.
    All of the above had better seasons as forwards than the two boys.

Reward the forwards​ who scored from play on the big days not the lads who played as additional half backs, midfielders or fullbacks. The men who delivered.

Does that not make sense ? Moran was a joy to watch against Kerry, O'Callaghans goals were fantastic that's what All Stars should be awarded for imo

I might have added some harsh words but you guys know where I'm directing them. But it still reflects the essence of what I believe the awards should be for.

So Cillian O'Connor - who broke all scoring records this year with a crazy haul of 3-66, is the best forward in the country and a nailed on all-star then, right? Because forwards have to score and scoring is what counts.
    :rolleyes:

Of course he played more games and so got more scores. But then you had no issue ignoring this when you were comparing Clarke's goals conceded with Cluxton's. Just like you ignore the fact that cluxton didn't have saves to make in general, which undermines further your logic. That isnt even going into the AOS stuff, which even the dubs cant stomach. As I said, childish. Come back when you want to have a reasonable conversation about the all stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

In fairness, Cluxton actually had one of his busier years from a shot stopping point of view.
    Just because the games weren't close this seems to be getting overlooked. He produced saves in one on one situations in most games after the early stages of Leinster.

Menoetius wrote: »
    In fairness, Cluxton actually had one of his busier years from a shot stopping point of view.
    Just because the games weren't close this seems to be getting overlooked. He produced saves in one on one situations in most games after the early stages of Leinster.

Relative to who though? Himself? He never has to make many in general.
    We need to be comparing him to other keepers. How many did he actually make?
    One from Doherty - decent save but kinds straight at him and McMahon actually done very well to force him wide.
    A penalty save - good save.
    What other saves was there? Two saves ffs. Even if there is one or two more, it still isn't many at all.

Clarke was making really massive saves in literally every game. Also, making big saves when you are under pressure to lose is tougher than against a guy who knows his team have been hammered. Now you can say none of that is cluxton's fault - his defence is strong and teams aren't getting chances, and fair enough, but you still have to make the saves which is not an easy thing to do.

There is an awful lot of biased rhetoric around cluxton this year. It is like saying well mannion/moran only got lots of scores because he was given chances by his team, and had john heslin the same chances he would do even better, therefore heslin should get an all-star. It is nonsense logic.

Relative to nobody, I merely replied to your comment that Cluxton didn't have to make saves "in general" by saying he actually has made a number of decent saves over the course of the Summer.
    Nothing more, nothing less

Relative to nobody, I merely replied to your comment that Cluxton didn't have to make saves "in general" by saying he actually has made a number of decent saves over the course of the Summer.
    Nothing more, nothing less

I am aware of that. My subsequent request was to expand on this, as 'a number' can really be anything.
    Can you think of any other one-on-one/decent saves than the ones I listed? Because two is 'a number' also, just not a very big one..

As I said, since the early rounds of Leinster he has made a number of decent saves from one on one situations.
    Just a general observation.
    I didn't realise I'd be hauled in front of the jury to explain myself :)

As I said, since the early rounds of Leinster he has made a number of decent saves from one on one situations.
    Just a general observation.
    I didn't realise I'd be hauled in front of the jury to explain myself :)

Im only pushing on the point because this belief is out there that cluxton has done well this year, yet nobody can name more than 2 saves he has actually had to make. 2 saves and one good long kickout isnt a good year, clarke has done as much in one game, and still not gotten motm in that game. Come to think of it, how many times was cluxton motm this year?

It seems to me that if some young unknown came in and done as much as cluxton did this year, he would be getting no more than an all star nomination, while if cluxton had managed all that clarke had, he would be getting poty. If you remove who plays for who and who won what etc, and just look at their performances game to game, clarke had a bigger season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Im only pushing on the point because this belief is out there that cluxton has done well this year, yet nobody can name more than 2 saves he has actually had to make. 2 saves and one good long kickout isnt a good year, clarke has done as much in one game, and still not gotten motm in that game. Come to think of it, how many times was cluxton motm this year?

It seems to me that if some young unknown came in and done as much as cluxton did this year, he would be getting no more than an all star nomination, while if cluxton had managed all that clarke had, he would be getting poty. If you remove who plays for who and who won what etc, and just look at their performances game to game, clarke had a bigger season.

But his kickouts also arguably cost Mayo two games (Roscommon and Final)

Also strange to see 5/6 Mayo backs nominated despite a number of goals conceded and their keeping having to make numerous saves vs inferior opposition

naughtb4 wrote: »
    But his kickouts also arguably cost Mayo two games (Roscommon and Final)

But they didnt man. Mayo got past roscommon and the all ireland final wasnt won on one kickout that went over the sideline. The other one McCarthy just done well and caught it. Surely you can see that his kickout that went over the sideline is no different to one of cluxton's litany of intercepted kickouts in the first half? How can one be different to the other?

Again, imagine cluxton was in fact some young lad, and put in that first half performance. Then just for arguments sake, everything else is exactly the same except COC scores his free and rock misses his. Imagine the stick that young keeper would take? Cluxton is getting a free ride, because he is cluxton

But they didnt man. Mayo got past roscommon and the all ireland final wasnt won on one kickout that went over the sideline. The other one McCarthy just done well and caught it. Surely you can see that his kickout that went over the sideline is no different to one of cluxton's litany of intercepted kickouts in the first half? How can one be different to the other?

Because when the pressure is on big players come through not kick it out over the sideline

Because when the pressure is on big players come through not kick it out over the sideline

But surely the pressure was on in the first half too? Its all AI final, there is pressure at all times.

People generally only decide when 'the pressure was on' afterwards, with the benefit of knowing who won in the end. But at the time, if you dont think cluxton was feeling the pressure (just like any platyer would be) you are delusional.

1 save from Flynn in the Leinster final
    1 save each from McCarron and Duffy in the quarter final
    Penalty save from Harte in the semi final
    Save from Doherty in the final

That's 5

1 save from Flynn in the Leinster final
    1 save each from McCarron and Duffy in the quarter final
    Penalty save from Harte in the semi final
    Save from Doherty in the final

That's 5

Refresh my mind on the monaghan ones...

Clarke had as many against kerry alone...

Refresh my mind on the monaghan ones...

Clarke had as many against kerry alone...
    I've just given you 5 saves he made in the championship after you claimed he only made 2

You were wrong. Again.

Look them up if you want your mind refreshed.

I've just given you 5 saves he made in the championship after you claimed he only made 2

You were wrong. Again.

Look them up if you want your mind refreshed.

I said i recalled two off the top of my head and asked for more.

As for the saves, if i look them up and they turn out to not be proper one on one saves, what then?

Also, you ignore the part about clarke having 5 against kerry alone, and those were proper goal saves... why may i ask?

As for the saves, if i look them up and they turn out to not be proper one on one saves, what then?

Also, you ignore the part about clarke having 5 against kerry alone, and those were proper goal saves... why may i ask?

Why are any of the Mayo back line nominated?

I feel like Clarke alone saved them from a hammering every game?

• Advertisement

Why are any of the Mayo back line nominated?

I feel like Clarke alone saved them from a hammering every game?

Does that mean you accept that clarke should get the all star?

If none of the other Mayo backs get one why not

It doesn't actually bother me that much, I think the Cluxton love in was a bit much as well. Just feel alot of Mayo players claims are being pushed despite below par performances against inferior teams for much of the Championship, they can't all deserve it

I also think league performances should be taken into account but that's just me

2 saves and one good long kickout isnt a good year

That's correct, but you know quite well he has done many more of both.

Argue for Clarke all you want, but be honest

Indeed

That's correct, but you know quite well he has done many more of both.

Argue for Clarke all you want, but be honest

I am being honest though. I asked what has he actually done this year, obviously by that I mean standout things that warrant such an accolade. I offered two saves myself, and a good long kickout against tyrone.

You say he has done way more, yet all that has actually been suggested is a vague reference to three more saves, and when asked to back it up the request was blankly refused. The save v kildare is familiar alright so I didnt query it, However the others dont. I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask a few questions as regards his performances, when he is being pushed as the premier performer in his position in the country over the championship season.

Here are a few actual truths about cluxton this year
    A) A large majority of his kickouts were short, so there were actually few great kickouts this year. A tactical thing I accept, but again, the result is he was pinging out less kickouts than a lot of other keepers.
    B) Entire games passed where he didnt feature. Not his fault I accept, but not doing anything is still not doing anything.
    C) He made a low number of big saves. Lack of opportunity maybe, but beside the point
    D) The above are being ignored, because it is who it is.

I also take issue with this thing where if you dont praise him you automatically have some personal gripe, generally based on your own county. Cant someone else just have had a better season?

I am being honest though. I asked what has he actually done this year, obviously by that I mean standout things that warrant such an accolade. I offered two saves myself, and a good long kickout against tyrone.

You say he has done way more, yet all that has actually been suggested is a vague reference to three more saves, and when asked to back it up the request was blankly refused. The save v kildare is familiar alright so I didnt query it, However the others dont. I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask a few questions as regards his performances, when he is being pushed as the premier performer in his position in the country over the championship season.

Here are a few actual truths about cluxton this year
    A) A large majority of his kickouts were short, so there were actually few great kickouts this year. A tactical thing I accept, but again, the result is he was pinging out less kickouts than a lot of other keepers.
    B) Entire games passed where he didnt feature. Not his fault I accept, but not doing anything is still not doing anything.
    C) He made a low number of big saves. Lack of opportunity maybe, but beside the point
    D) The above are being ignored, because it is who it is.

I also take issue with this thing where if you dont praise him you automatically have some personal gripe, generally based on your own county. Cant someone else just have had a better season?
    Yes they can. I haven't even claimed Clarke wasn't better. But to say people can't "back up" evidence of saves and kick outs is silly. Watch all the games again if you want back up. This is beyond silly. God be with the days when you could give an opinion on here without being put on trial :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,319 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have been reading all your posts and I have now refined my All-Star team to take account of all the comments you have made. I hope that you find this one to your liking:

Clarke (Mayo)
    Higgins (Mayo)
    Keegan (Mayo)
    Barrett (Mayo)
    Boyle (Mayo)
    Harrison (Mayo)
    Murphy (Kerry)
    Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Parsons (Mayo)
    O'Shea (Mayo)
    Moran (Mayo)
    McLoughlin (Mayo)
    Geaney (Kerry)
    Doherty (Mayo)
    O'Connor (Mayo)

I know that there will be many Dublin players upset at having missed out on an All-Star but when you compare their performances all year to the Mayo ones, there really isn't an argument, is there? You have won me over, I believe that the Mayo players are as great as you have said and the All-Star team should reflect this. I have also come to the conclusion that it is an absolute disgrace that the three nominees for POTY weren't O'Connor, Moran and Clarke. How any Dublin player got within an asses roar of a nomination is completely bewildering.

I just feel sorry for the likes of Seamie O'Shea and Diarmuid O'Connor who just miss out on my list. Ah well, maybe someday they will an All-Ireland to make up for it.

I have also heard that the Dublin management are beginning to agree with you on Cluxton. They are stripping him of the captaincy and relegating him to the O'Byrne Cup squad. I mean, captaining your team to three All-Irelands, being the most outstanding goalkeeper of all time, possibly the best GAA footballer of all time and having the rule changed three times because of your revolutionary play just doesn't cut it anymore:rolleyes:

Us Dubs will just have to console ourselves with next years slogan - Dublin 4 SAMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I'd llike be to see Jim withdrawing all Dublin players nominations and see the sh1tfest that would ensue, you'd have one mayo man happy though😂😂😂😂

Lol.

Yes give him one on the Dublin side for handing the ball back to the Dubs three times at the end of the all Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Some amount of shyte being posted on this thread.

Clarke edges it as All-Star goal keeper for me. Not a vintage year for keepers but he was the best of what there was. Cluxton is a great goalkeeper and deserves most of the praise he gets but there seems to be a move to canonise him at this stage. Personally I thought he had a very satisfactory year while not being overly busy but talk of him winning POTY is strange to say the least.

Anyway regardless of who gets an All-Star award the Dubs have the only medals that count. If I was Aidan O'Shea or Cillian O'Connor or Andy Moran an All-Star award wouldn't mean jack sh1t to me at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Some amount of shyte being posted on this thread.

Clarke edges it as All-Star goal keeper for me. Not a vintage year for keepers but he was the best of what there was. Cluxton is a great goalkeeper and deserves most of the praise he gets but there seems to be a move to canonise him at this stage. Personally I thought he had a very satisfactory year while not being overly busy but talk of him winning POTY is strange to say the least.

Anyway regardless of who gets an All-Star award the Dubs have the only medals that count. If I was Aidan O'Shea or Cillian O'Connor or Andy Moran an All-Star award wouldn't mean jack sh1t to me at this stage.

Clarke as All Star keeper- his last kick out in the final should rule him out of contention completely.
    Straight over the sideline when ball rentention was needed most

• Advertisement
Advertisement