Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein Shakes & Supplements

Options
  • 20-09-2017 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Well folks just wondering what other supplements if any you put in your protein shakes.

Thanks to previous advice from this forum i now use ZMA, good multi vitamin and Fish oil daily.

I bought Psylium husk, milk thistle & nac last week and wondering would this mix be ok in one shake.

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Spinach, berries and oats ... just blitz all that up with the whey and away I go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Creatine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

protein, creatine, 4 x frozen strawberries, a banana, milk, some flax seeds

is the science behind ZMA good? just googled it and it sounds bloody great!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

IvoryTower wrote: »
    is the science behind ZMA good? just googled it and it sounds bloody great!

Does it?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMA_(supplement)
    It was developed by Victor Conte (founder of BALCO Laboratories in Burlingame, California, and a felon who served time in prison in 2005 after pleading guilty to conspiracy to distribute steroids and money laundering).
    The study most often used to support the hormone effects of ZMA is one done at Western Washington University. Dr. Lorrie Brilla...However, one of the scientists who conducted the study holds the registered trademark for the original formula of ZMA, and his company funded the research, contrary to the best-practices in scientific research that avoids conflicts-of-interest.

A substance created by a felon and tested by someone who stands to make money from a positive result...not entirely inspiring science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

sorry they were supposed to be separate, i was asking if the science was good and meant to say the claimed "benefits" sound great

I'll stick to my spinach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd only be getting ZMA if I wanted mental dreams.

My protein shakes are made with water, Mi Wadi, leucine and maltodextrin...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd only be getting ZMA if I wanted mental dreams.

My protein shakes are made with water, Mi Wadi, leucine and maltodextrin...

More of an amino-acid shake...

Isn't maltodextrin really high GI? Is it any better than table sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zillah wrote: »
    More of an amino-acid shake...

Isn't maltodextrin really high GI? Is it any better than table sugar?

I wasn't being entirely serious. I do put Mi Wadi in my water from time to time but it would be kinda pointless adding maltodextrin on top of Mi Wadi.

When I do occasionally have protein shakes, I add malto and leucine to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I mix choc whey, creative, leucine, dextrose and water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Does it?

A substance created by a felon and tested by someone who stands to make money from a positive result...not entirely inspiring science.

Isn't ZMA just zinc and magnesium in one tablet? Surely any studies relating to zinc or magnesium supplementation would be applicable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thanks folks but can we get back on topic please i really want to hear what supplements people are taking and or putting in their shakes.

ZMA chat is probably for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does it?

Not sure if you know who Victor Conte is, or you're just being flippant to make a point.
    BALCO under Conte was the "Sports science" lab that developed The Clear. A highly potent, undetectable PED. I wouldn't use the fact he went to jail for his part in those doping scandals to undermine anything he developed.

I agree that having a vested interest in a study isn't a good thing of course. But it's not like they were testing some new chemical compound. It's it just zinc and magnesium. If I buy some ZMA from the shop, I doubt that scientist makes a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Creatine, but I don't put it in my shake, I take it in my tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Whey, maltodextrin, glucose. Small amount of Creatine HCl in water separately at same time.

Monohydrate upsets my stomach no matter how well it's dissolved. HCl tastes like stomach acid but is easy to digest. The taste of it mixed with the other ingredients I mentioned is outrageously bad. Consumed by itself it's tolerable and can be washed down with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Robinio

This is a little bit vague. What do you put in your protein shake? Depends on the results you're looking for and what you are already getting from your diet.

I mix HMB with my BCAA and protein shake (taking a couple of times a day). However, I am only using HMB because I am doing German Volume Training. Benefits of this supplement are more focused on those training hard, and this is literally the first time I have used it.

I don't mix dextrose or anything with my shake. I fast, and then eat fast-releasing carbs after a workout, and drink orange juice.

It also depends on what results you seek, and how long you've been lifting. If you've just started out (I assume this isn't you), you probably don't even need a protein shake!

Aside from multi-vitamin, creatine, BCAA and a protein supplement (ideally casein if you're not vegan and not hitting protein requirements) and essential fatty acids (if not already getting it from your diet), not much point in other fancy supplements. Saying that, l have not tried pre-workouts. Normally just have a double espresso ;)

Robinio wrote: »
    how long you've been lifting

Why does it depend on how long you're lifting? :confused:

Blacktie. wrote: »
    how long you've been lifting

Why does it depend on how long you're lifting? :confused:
    If you are new to lifting, your protein requirements will be lower. By simply increasing your "habitual" protein intake, you will make gains.

So, if you follow guidelines and eat around 60 grams of protein per day - for example - an increase in habitual protein intake of 40-80% is enough to encourage protein synthesis. 40% of 60 grams is 24 grams. That is like 3-4 whole eggs. Or two slices of toast with baked beans. Anyone who cannot eat 84 grams of protein per day without supplementing will need to look seriously at their diet and look to fix that, first.

If you've been lifting for longer 6 months+, your intake of 84 grams becomes "habitual". Therefore, you should ramp up your protein intake again by around 40%. This will take you to around 117 grams. And so on. By the time you hit the higher end of protein requirements (you are lean, and nearing your maximum muscular potential), you would have been training for a couple of years anyway, and your ability to pack on muscle slows, and your need to eat higher protein to preserve what you have added becomes more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

This is a little bit vague. What do you put in your protein shake? Depends on the results you're looking for and what you are already getting from your diet.

I mix HMB with my BCAA and protein shake (taking a couple of times a day). However, I am only using HMB because I am doing German Volume Training. Benefits of this supplement are more focused on those training hard, and this is literally the first time I have used it.

I don't mix dextrose or anything with my shake. I fast, and then eat fast-releasing carbs after a workout, and drink orange juice.

It also depends on what results you seek, and how long you've been lifting. If you've just started out (I assume this isn't you), you probably don't even need a protein shake!

Aside from multi-vitamin, creatine, BCAA and a protein supplement (ideally casein if you're not vegan and not hitting protein requirements) and essential fatty acids (if not already getting it from your diet), not much point in other fancy supplements. Saying that, l have not tried pre-workouts. Normally just have a double espresso ;)

What's so different about casein?

If you are new to lifting, your protein requirements will be lower. By simply increasing your "habitual" protein intake, you will make gains.

So, if you follow guidelines and eat around 60 grams of protein per day - for example - an increase in habitual protein intake of 40-80% is enough to encourage protein synthesis. 40% of 60 grams is 24 grams. That is like 3-4 whole eggs. Or two slices of toast with baked beans. Anyone who cannot eat 84 grams of protein per day without supplementing will need to look seriously at their diet and look to fix that, first.

If you've been lifting for longer 6 months+, your intake of 84 grams becomes "habitual". Therefore, you should ramp up your protein intake again by around 40%. This will take you to around 117 grams. And so on. By the time you hit the higher end of protein requirements (you are lean, and nearing your maximum muscular potential), you would have been training for a couple of years anyway, and your ability to pack on muscle slows, and your need to eat higher protein to preserve what you have added becomes more important.

As counter intuitive as it is I've actually heard the opposite. Newer lifters need more protein as breakdown and muscle building potential is substantially higher compared to a seasoned lifter.

Also nearing max muscular potential after two years.... Ah if only.

Dtp1979 wrote: »

What's so different about casein?
    Studies comparing casein to whey protein have shown little difference, post workout. The benefit of casein, is that it is slower releasing. Therefore, you can take it before bed to aid in protein synthesis while the body is fasting. The supplement industry wants you to think you need 10 types of protein supplement, but it is not true.

If you're in a caloric deficit, and looking to add muscle, casein is a must. You will be eating less, so will need a slower digesting source.

I used to use two types, but after lots of research found that it is unnecessary.

So if you want to choose just one to buy, I would go for casein. Typically has a better amino acid profile, too!

• Advertisement

As counter intuitive as it is I've actually heard the opposite. Newer lifters need more protein as breakdown and muscle building potential is substantially higher compared to a seasoned lifter.

Also nearing max muscular potential after two years.... Ah if only.
    I developed and built my own protein calculator. I added 8.4lb of muscle, and lost 6.2lb of fat in just 13 weeks using the research I did.

I am not able to post links here, but as soon as I am able, I will send you links to all the studies, the calculator, and my DEXA body scans both before and after my recomp to show you what is possible. I have now added 12lb of muscle in 6 months, and aim for 25lb within first year - that is over half of my genetic potential at 5 foot 8 inches.

I developed and built my own protein calculator. I added 8.4lb of muscle, and lost 6.2lb of fat in just 13 weeks using the research I did.

I am not able to post links here, but as soon as I am able, I will send you links to all the studies, the calculator, and my DEXA body scans both before and after my recomp to show you what is possible. I have now added 12lb of muscle in 6 months, and aim for 25lb within first year - that is over half of my genetic potential at 5 foot 8 inches.

PM them to me.

I find it hard to believe you can speak as an authority on this with less than a year of training and some very curious results and assumptions on your genetic potential.

PM them to me.

I find it hard to believe you can speak as an authority on this with less than a year of training and some very curious results and assumptions on your genetic potential.
    I've been training on and off for about 4 years. But not properly. I injured my elbow performing skull crushers last year, and didn't train for 6 months. During this time, I spent a hell of a lot of time researching, so that when I hit the gym again, I would do it as perfectly as I possibly could, and not repeat the mistakes I originally made.

I was up at 25.8% body fat. Some of the gains could be attributed to muscle memory, however, my recomp results were in line with the studies I researched. Plus, I am now carrying more muscle than I ever did previously.

For my height, wrist and ankle sizes, I can expect to achieve around 160lb of lean body mass as a natural lifter. I was 118lb when I started, I was 130lb at my last scan (start of this month), and expect to be around 155lb by the end of my second year - 5lb or so away from my genetic potential.

I am off to demolish my legs with some German Volume Training. Will send you links when I am back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Daily Shake is

25ml prune juice
    10x fresh blueberries
    ~20 pine nuts
    200ml super milk
    50g vanilla whey protein
    Powdered ginger
    Powdered cinnamon
    Chia
    Flax seeds
    Spirulina/Wheatgrass powder
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Sunflower Seeds
    Tablespoon peanut butter
    1 fresh banana
    squirt of honey
    squirt of lemon juice
    handful of frozen berries (strawberry, raspberry, cherry, blackberry, blueberry mix from aldi)

Blitz and have on the way to the office every morning.

Keeps me going until lunch and occasionally until 2-3pm if needs must.

Used to try porridge etc but was hungry by 11 every day.

Also take it before playing golf/yoga/pilates and it works well.
    After 5-aside & pilates & yoga I will have another 50g whey with skimmed milk and ice

I am off to demolish my legs with some German Volume Training. Will send you links when I am back.

Got those links?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Dont mean to put down boards, But have you tried google?
    Theres years of experience out there on bodybuilder forums relating to diet and supplements...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

GreeBo wrote: »
    Daily Shake is...

That is a shed load of ingredients. How long does it take to prepare that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,118 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

An intake on 100g is 100g regardless of how long you've been eating 100g.
    Protein is a macronutrient, not a drug. You don't build up a tolerance that mean you need to keep increasing the dose - which is what you are suggesting.
    I was up at 25.8% body fat. Some of the gains could be attributed to muscle memory, however, my recomp results were in line with the studies I researched. Plus, I am now carrying more muscle than I ever did previously.

For my height, wrist and ankle sizes, I can expect to achieve around 160lb of lean body mass as a natural lifter. I was 118lb when I started, I was 130lb at my last scan (start of this month), and expect to be around 155lb by the end of my second year - 5lb or so away from my genetic potential.

25.8% BF at 118lbs? That can't be right. And underweight BMI with overweight BF%. By all means PM the links and i'll repost for.
    But if that was you start point, I don't think typical gains are any way applicable to you.

At 5'8" you genetic potential is a lot higher than 160lbs. Even with tiny wrists

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That is a shed load of ingredients. How long does it take to prepare that?

5-7 mins from starting to all cleaned up and on my way out the door!

All my ingredients are in jars so its literally just add spoonfuls of stuff together (other than peel the banana!) and lash in some frozen fruit and liquids.

I'm looking at ways to add more fibre as since its all blitzed there is less work for my gut to do....though the prune juice was added to help with that side of things.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

An intake on 100g is 100g regardless of how long you've been eating 100g.
    Protein is a macronutrient, not a drug. You don't build up a tolerance that mean you need to keep increasing the dose - which is what you are suggesting.

25.8% BF at 118lbs? That can't be right. And underweight BMI with overweight BF%. By all means PM the links and i'll repost for.
    But if that was you start point, I don't think typical gains are any way applicable to you.

At 5'8" you genetic potential is a lot higher than 160lbs. Even with tiny wrists
    My lean body mass was 118lb, not total weight. Total weight was 158lb. Should have probably made that clearer

Again, genetic potential of lean body mass. At 10% body fat, I would weigh 178lb

Will PM you the links to check out :)

Advertisement