Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tonight Show - Virgin Media One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Mary wouldn’t shut up!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Icsics wrote: »
    Mary wouldn’t shut up!

No mary, we’re out of time. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Arghus wrote: »
    Won't miss Ivan, absolute wind bag.

But that's Ivan's appeal, he's a pure wind up merchant. I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

An absolute massive waste of time, no matter what he's been involved in.

Simply astonishing he managed to wangle his way into broadcasting in any form.

Is he good mates with Denis O'Brien I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ciara Doherty from Ireland AM is Ivan's replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Ciara Doherty from Ireland AM is Ivan's replacement

You’d wonder how they decided this. I’ve never hears her on anything current affairs & she’s quite annoying on those morning shows, always feels like a fill in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You’d wonder how they decided this. I’ve never hears her on anything current affairs & she’s quite annoying on those morning shows, always feels like a fill in

Her voice/accent totally grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The only thing you need these days to get a job on TV/Radio is to be a Woman,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mgn wrote: »

qualified Barrister at Law,studied Broadcast Journalism at the London College of Communications. 3 years as a researcher in ITV. worked on newstalk breakfast.

but yeh its cos she's a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Put Gerry on 200.00 a week and see if his view changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

qualified Barrister at Law,studied Broadcast Journalism at the London College of Communications. 3 years as a researcher in ITV. worked on newstalk breakfast.

but yeh its cos she's a woman.

Just because you have a impressive CV doesn't mean your any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ciara's first show, Michael Healy-Rae on now.

M

Opening up the schools but not the pubs is pure crazy.

M

Healy-Rae making far too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Can people please stop saying wet pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Ciara's first show, Michael Healy-Rae on now.

Ciara is doing grand. Has a good interviewing style. Had Prime Time on tonight and Miriam drove me mad with her sighing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Acosta wrote: »

When I hear the phrase wet pubs, I immediately think of the scene from Horrible Bosses, where a supposed hitman was hired to perform "Wet work" Maybe that's how pubs can generate some revenue from now on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Why did I think that it was Ciara Kelly replacing Ivan? Absolutely delightttted to see that it's actually Ciara Doherty. What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

mgn wrote: »

Ivan was absolutely useless at his job on newstalk and the tonight show. Lowest common denominator, if he couldn't handle a guest he'd insult them or look for a reaction to cover his lack of interviewing technique.

I find Ciara Doherty excellent, extremely easy to listen to and very professional. She is clearly well qualified. I hope people aren't mixing her up with another Ciara who'd make your ears bleed..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

New presenter pretty sharp.
    She doesnt allow guests to drift off the point or not answer questions.

• Advertisement

UsBus wrote: »
    Ivan was absolutely useless at his job on newstalk and the tonight show. Lowest common denominator, if he couldn't handle a guest he'd insult them or look for a reaction to cover his lack of interviewing technique.

I find Ciara Doherty excellent, extremely easy to listen to and very professional. She is clearly well qualified. I hope people aren't mixing her up with another Ciara who'd make your ears bleed..

Remember the night they had her on, along with a random secondary school principal who was voicing his concerns re the premature reopening of schools, and she whipped out an A4 page with 30 boxes that she'd drawn with a ruler + pen?? Preaching that by her calculations, students would be fine as their desks could be adequately distanced from one another by at least 1m, easily thwarting the dastardly virus. :rolleyes: I despair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Ciara is doing grand. Has a good interviewing style. Had Prime Time on tonight and Miriam drove me mad with her sighing.

Only seen her the odd time on that breakfast show. Took banal to a new level and a voice that would wreck your head

Surprised to hear positive reports, maybe I'll chance it some evening.

Acosta wrote: »

It sounds disgusting doesn't it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

That doctor/academic guy ‘Tomas Ryan’ is very entertaining. I could listen to him all day, unlike that other young GO from ranelagh who loves to be on tv now but us completely boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have to say Ciara Doherty was like a breath of fresh air on the show, a good choice IMO and completely different to MOC wailing like a Banshee over on Prime Time.

Matt Cooper is a headwreck these days to listen to so the less I see of him the better.

Just watched it, and my first impressions of Ciara Doherty are positive. She is clearly intelligent, has read into the subject, asks the right questions, and can continue a line of questioning without a “script” when a follow up it is needed. She also “runs” the interviews, by which I mean she’s definitely managing proceedings and appropriately steering the conversation.

I found I couldn’t watch it under the previous regime. Now, I will, at least when she’s at the helm. Matt’s trajectory, both on this and the Last Word, is downwards as far as I am concerned

Haven't seen her yet, but anything would be better than Ivan Yates, TBH.

An inanimate carbon rod would be better than Ivan Yates.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it time Matt left, let Ciara on full time

I like Matt but I think he can be a little out of his depth at times. Ciara seems to have a deeper understanding of the more technical topics of conversation, making the show more interesting imo. It's quite obvious when Matt doesn't understand something fully as tends to let the guest ramble on unchallenged for a while, before throwing out a random question to make it seem as though he's in control. No hate though, I think he's a gent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Cooper is supposed to keep his own personal opinions to himself and be impartial, something he has not done over the last few years whenever something about US politics is up for discussion.

Advertisement