Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Ryan - Amazon Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hadn't realised this was (executive) produced by Michael Bay: suddenly this entire show makes a lot more sense, now that I have a better frame of reference :D

Didn't notice that.

Presume his notes include: 'Could I suggest some explodey stuff?'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

was thinking Transformers with the soldiers jumping out of the plane.

just watched episode 4, the london rooftop chase was movie quality

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

moby2101 wrote: »
    Watched 2 more, it went downhill fast... couldn't be arsed watching any further.
    Bailed after second episode. 2nd rate stuff. I never really rated Noomi Rapace, but she pulls it off quite well here. Krasinki is just not credible in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Too Clancy died in 2013. How is he executive producer for seasons 1 and 2 of this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 5 done and ... yeah it's total fluff, but if nothing else it's very slick, splashy looking fluff. It's showier than most thriller movies.

Though while I don't mind Krasinki in this, he's perfectly fine, the writing around him is so bad. This show could literally be renamed "Most Competent Man"; the script hits this cliché so hard it comes out the other side from parody. Evvvvvvvery epsode Ryan's going rogue, finding the truth where others dare not look, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Too Clancy died in 2013. How is he executive producer for seasons 1 and 2 of this?

I saw this an assumed it must be a child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Binged it over the last few days. I enjoyed it, wouldn’t mind a third season.

I've watched these two seasons and enjoyed it.

Have already completely forgotten what the plot for even season 2 was - it's pure consume and forget stuff and completely preposterous - perhaps all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Season 1 is okay, not terrible. Season 2 is absolute garbage though, it's unadulterated US propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I pretty much gave up on season two when Jack told the president of Venezuela that he knew he murdered his friend. Absolute muck.

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »
    I pretty much gave up on season two when Jack told the president of Venezuela that he knew he murdered his friend. Absolute muck.

true. season 1 was better and I enjoyed it more - liked the romp across multiple European locations.

Season 2 was a fair step down and I did 5 second skip fwd through some bits to get through some episodes. It's like the budget was reduced for season 2 - the locations were a lot poorer.

Season 3 will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

I’m only on season one so no spoilers please - Ryan just baited Sulieman about Hanin and the daughters.

There was an agent who featured twice in the first couple of episodes - buddy of Greer who snatched Sulieman and accompanied Greer and Ryan to Paris but after he gave Jack a gun I never saw him again.

I had assumed he was going to be eventually revealed as John Clark but did he die in the raid and explosion? I don’t remember any sight of his body and I’m only thinking about it now but don’t have access to the show.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

Season 2 was hard to get into but once i did I liked it a lot....needs to be binge watched I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Season 2 was hard to get into but once i did I liked it a lot....needs to be binge watched I think.

Was a big drop in standard from season 1 imo, very poorly done in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Was a big drop in standard from season 1 imo, very poorly done in parts.

It was dire. I gave up after 3 episodes. There's too much decent TV out there to be wasting time on this crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Season 2 was a slog to get through, and the ending was just pure muck. Wouldn't be surprised if Michael bay wrote it.
    Krasinski really lacked any range, he had that one constipated face no matter what the situation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched both seasons of this back to back and I cannot remember a bigger, more sudden drop in quality. Season 2 was one of the most ridiculous seasons of TV, full of classic tropes and cliches as well as characters doing stupid things purely to move the plot along or in order to have certain characters be in a particular place for a later point (why the fck did Uber leave the goddam boat, you literally had one job!!). Thought season one was great and slightly more realistic in that Jack was clearly lower down the chain of command and we actually see some of the decision makers from other agencies, here there was no chain of command and Jack's just leading an American military assault on the residence of a foreign leader without any repercussions. It was shockingly bad, annoyed with myself that I wasted time on it.

Also, side node, does anyone know why they aren't adapting the books.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Also, side node, does anyone know why they aren't adapting the books.

They are adapting the books, just not very well in my opinion, season 2 was Clear and Present Danger adapted to the modern world, I found it a good show but some big plot holes. Personally Cardinal of the Kremlin was my favourite JR book, I'd love to see an adaption of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Clareman wrote: »
    They are adapting the books, just not very well in my opinion, season 2 was Clear and Present Danger adapted to the modern world, I found it a good show but some big plot holes. Personally Cardinal of the Kremlin was my favourite JR book, I'd love to see an adaption of that.

Oh really? Interesting, I knew the first series was a new story and just assumed the second one was also because it was so poor. Is the book that action heavy, I've never read any of the books but I was under the impression that they weren't very action heavy and more spy thriller.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not 100% sure but reading the books I'm just assuming that that's what they are leveraging from, series 1 has a bit of Hunt of Red October in it, especially by his introduction but they are all at different times of his career and relationships, like he's only meeting Cathy not married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Yeah, Season 2 was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The books are nothing special but at least they're relatively coherent. Season 1 was watchable on a dreary night if you had nothing else to do.

Season 2 is so bad (and I dropped it after half of episode 2) that I wouldn't watch it if lockdown continues for 5 years. It's utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Rainbow 6 would make a good series 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not connected to the series since John Clark isn't in the series.

The John Clark solo movie drops on April 30th on Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Not connected to the series since John Clark isn't in the series.

The John Clark solo movie drops on April 30th on Prime

I’ve only seen season one so far and I thought the black op soldier who appeared occasionally with different and said his kids thought he was an astronaut was eventually going to be reveal as the John Clark character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeesh. Without Remorse looks horrendous; running with almost every "wronged operative" cliché I could think of, executed without an ounce of panache or style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeesh. Without Remorse looks horrendous; running with almost every "wronged operative" cliché I could think of, executed without an ounce of panache or style.

It's just using the name of the book and lead character. Seen to be ignoring the story from the book altogether. Looks terrible.

When I saw the trailer I was thinking they're trying to get John Wick into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,362 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 4th season ahead of the launch of seaon 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Season 3 back December 21st, 38 months after the October 2019 release of Season 2

Advertisement