Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent Calendars 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

My mum bought me the L'Occitane one, can't wait for the first of December!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tesco €5!
    23130570_1710637795636107_7095662863059073949_n.jpg?oh=5cec51d628147e7f489766f7b51ff0a4&oe=5AAB5C34

Ok it's nowhere near as exciting as a beauty calendar or anything but today I bought the dogs and cats their pet Advent calendars and I'm pretty damn excited about it! :D

Home made Advent Calendar!

gallery-1476754677-clx1209114a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I love it!!!!! Totally want to buy it - our little girl would love it! I'm trying to avoid sweet and toy based advent calendars! This might be a winner! Is it as nice in the flesh as it is on the website?

Sorry just seen this, yes it looks nice, haven’t opened the wrapper yet so haven’t been able to try the magnets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

kitten_k wrote: »
    Sorry just seen this, yes it looks nice, haven’t opened the wrapper yet so haven’t been able to try the magnets.

You're grand - I actually went ahead & bought one! It looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

love the homemade one freshpopcorn.

I ordered the yankee 3D one in the Debehams sale....thanks to whoever posted the link the other day......so expecting a delivery later today (or in the next day or two since I didn't plump for next day delivery)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Was in dunnes and saw they have an Advent calendar for Kelloggs. €6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Was passing by a Cards n Things recently and spotted what I think was a Fulfill advent calendar.

Not sure what price it is or anything but it might be nice if you've any friends or family who like their bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Was passing by a Cards n Things recently and spotted what I think was a Fulfill advent calendar.

Not sure what price it is or anything but it might be nice if you've any friends or family who like their bars.

I saw it in Dunnes last week. It was around €11.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was it an advent calendar or a selection box? I’ve seen a fulfill selection box but not the advent calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Loughc wrote: »
    Was it an advent calendar or a selection box? I’ve seen a fulfill selection box but not the advent calendar.
    I think an advent calendar as it was with other advent calendars, but I can check this week to be sure.

Oh yeah, that’s what I saw that was 11 actually, not an advent calendar!

I think Tayto has missed a trick with this advent calendar. It should contain crisps!

https://taytocrisps.ie/product/advent-calendar/#tab-description

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw terrys chocolate oranges for 5e EACH in tesco on Sunday. What rip off merchants they are! You can terrys chocolate oranges almost anywhere now for 2.49 at the most!!! Also my mum picked up lindt choclate santas at the weekend in Dunnes for 3.50 each - 4.50 in Tesco!

Oops posted this in the wrong thread! Can a mod move it to the bargains thread (or not a bargain in this case!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw terrys chocolate oranges for 5e EACH in tesco on Sunday. What rip off merchants they are! You can terrys chocolate oranges almost anywhere now for 2.49 at the most!!! Also my mum picked up lindt choclate santas at the weekend in Dunnes for 3.50 each - 4.50 in Tesco!

Oops posted this in the wrong thread! Can a mod move it to the bargains thread (or not a bargain in this case!)

Tesco are massively rip offs at the moment. Presently you can get terrys chocolate orange in eurogiant for €1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Tesco are massively rip offs at the moment. Presently you can get terrys chocolate orange in eurogiant for €1.50.

Cheers for that! My mum can go to Eurogiant and pick up a shelf of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Hi,

Saw this today

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/402837?utm_source=product&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20171113

Has anyone any first hand reviews or opinions on this - would it suit a 16 year old?

Thanks

IRCA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 ardsgave

If you want to make an Advent calendar, fill it yourself! And if you want to treat a loved one to something other than sweets, chocolate or alcohol, then you can fill a photo Advent calendar with your own choice of 24 healthy or creative little surprises: http://iitm.be/fyo_advent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

IRCA wrote: »
    Hi,

Saw this today

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/402837?utm_source=product&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20171113

Has anyone any first hand reviews or opinions on this - would it suit a 16 year old?

Thanks

IRCA

I have never purchased anything from pigsback or seen this product in real life. But I google-image searched for the item and found this on amazon

Seems like reviews are mixed :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Thanks

Appreciate the feedback - based on this I'll give it a miss!

€6 in SuperValu!
    23471944_1720281891338364_973674320973110076_n.jpg?oh=48e0c5cbe6af7e4f126513018189a05d&oe=5A9409CA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I saw an article yesterday where Aldi are bringing out wine, prosecco & I think the other one was gin advent calendars this year...

I was 90% sure that Aldi were getting its grown up advent calendars in yesterday. Did anyone see them? Went into Parnell St store last night, but no sign - I'm assuming I was too late, but good to double check.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I was 90% sure that Aldi were getting its grown up advent calendars in yesterday. Did anyone see them? Went into Parnell St store last night, but no sign - I'm assuming I was too late, but good to double check.

The wine one was supposed to be on sale weeks ago and when I went in that day, there wasn't a sign of it. Shop was crazy busy that evening and couldn't find anyone to ask, so would be interested to here if this is true.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

chuckles30 wrote: »
    The wine one was supposed to be on sale weeks ago and when I went in that day, there wasn't a sign of it. Shop was crazy busy that evening and couldn't find anyone to ask, so would be interested to here if this is true.......

They were in store last week, a friend put a pic up on Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Any non-religious Advent calendars out there for kids? (aged 10 to 13)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Aren't Christmas and advent themselves a religious thing? :pac:

I actually haven't seen any religious calendars for kids. Any I've seen have Santa and reindeer, snowmen etc.

Posy wrote: »

I actually haven't seen any religious calendars for kids. Any I've seen have Santa and reindeer, snowmen etc.

If somebody was after something similar The Meaningful Chocolate company would be your best bet. East day contains a chocolate and a book with 24 pages about the Advent Story!(Company also do other similar products)
    Advent_2017_Booklet_3Q_1024x1024_4c27b814-0770-4899-8592-d0b59dfad530_large.jpg?v=1497011507

https://meaningfulchocolate.co.uk/pages/real-advent-calendar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Posy wrote: »

Christmas was stolen from the Pagans! :)

https://www.livescience.com/25779-christmas-traditions-history-paganism.html
    Despite the spread of Christianity, midwinter festivals did not become Christmas for hundreds of years. The Bible gives no reference to when Jesus was born, which wasn't a problem for early Christians, Nissenbaum said.
    "It never occurred to them that they needed to celebrate his birthday," he said.

With no Biblical directive to do so and no mention in the Gospels of the correct date, it wasn't until the fourth century that church leaders in Rome embraced the holiday. At this time, Nissenbaum said, many people had turned to a belief the Church found heretical: That Jesus had never existed as a man, but as a sort of spiritual entity.

"If you want to show that Jesus was a real human being just like every other human being, not just somebody who appeared like a hologram, then what better way to think of him being born in a normal, humble human way than to celebrate his birth?" Nissenbaum said. URL="https://www.livescience.com/19520-alleged-christian-relics-jesus.html"]Religious Mysteries: 8 Alleged Relics of Jesus[/URL

Midwinter festivals, with their pagan roots, were already widely celebrated, Nissenbaum said. And the date had a pleasing philosophical fit with festivals celebrating the lengthening days after the winter solstice (which fell on Dec. 21 this year). "O, how wonderfully acted Providence that on that day on which that Sun was born … Christ should be born," one Cyprian text read.

Advertisement