Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Making the jump (again?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say there's still something very wrong there. I use a pumped water system to cool my PC. It uses a 5W aquarium pump. I can't really imagine the flow of the solar tube system being a lot more than 10 times as powerful as that. Even at 20 times that (100W), with the pump being on for an average of 4 hours a day during summer, it would use 12kWh per month. Not 120kWh as per your calculations. Maybe have your system checked out?

And as an aside, surely I would have noticed that my solar PV system (in place since November '16) would have bumped my annual electricity use from 3500kWh to well, well over 4000kWh? (which it hasn't)

Dude, I have contacted the installation company and the manufacturer, hence the thermostat being moved, see my earlier post. It's been checked out repeatedly. It's within the normal range for our size of panel now (but was incorrectly set up at the start). I don't think we have the same type of panel btw, but anyway, enough derailement.

Who has a second EV to fit 7 passengers for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pwurple wrote: »
    Dude, I have contacted the installation company and the manufacturer, hence the thermostat being moved, see my earlier post. It's been checked out repeatedly. It's within the normal range for our size of panel now (but was incorrectly set up at the start). I don't think we have the same type of panel btw, but anyway, enough derailement.

Who has a second EV to fit 7 passengers for me?
    Short of a 7 seat configured tesla, the only option right now is the ENV200 envalia.
    Great idea, but they get 85% of a gen1 leaf range due to worse aero and there's a new one coming out soon, so unless there's a great deal on one I would avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

unkel wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »
    There's a wife and 3 kids here, still better off using electric shower than heating with gas. It's instant and there's no waste.

There's a lot of waste! Even if you use it only at night rate time, it will cost you almost 7c/kWh. Gas costs about half that.

Electric shower is instant, sure, but a pumped shower is instant too if you have hot water in your cylinder. Which you normally do 24/7 (at least a bit at the top) and I've already demonstrated that you don't "waste" hot water in your cylinder provided you have a modern, very well insulated one. Our towels don't even dry in the "hot press" anymore, as it is no longer noticeably warmer in there than in the areas around it :D

But even apart from all of that, the luxury of having a proper full blast shower is something to behold. Compared to the mere trickle that comes out of even a 10kW electric shower
    Where the waste? I have no hot water in my cylinder for more than half the year.
    If I was to use gas I would be heating more water so while cheaper per kWh I would be using more kWh.
    Remember a huge amount of houses were built in the 80s and don't have modern cylinders that store heat well.

Advertisement