Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast commuter ebike - opinions please - see mod note post #25

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I was thinking that but as always was liking the idea of saving a couple of hundred euros albeit on a lesser spec bike but no point long term if size is no right.

Any better offers out there for similar spec re CSS cube bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Ferris

cubix wrote: »
    Lads
    Can anyone tell me if there is a better bike/spec out there for the same/ less money. This one has some of the better kit, CX motor-500 battery / Xt shimano/ air forks with lock out. Looked at the Giants on the same site but while slightly less the spec is not the same. CRC have a Cube touring 2017 model which looks good value at just under €2K with the CX motor/500 battery but slightly less fork /shimano spec but frame is only 50cm/20". I am just on 6ft and find a 54cm frame a bit more comfortable due to a more upright position

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=119097

Can I ask what your intended use for the bike is? Commuting, trekking, use on the flat or in hills, used in traffic, load carrying etc.

For instance I have used my cube eMTB for a 52k daily commute for the past few months and I am very happy with it. Some points however:

- the Bosch performance system is excellent, very powerful, but that means it is tough on the drivetrain. I now have to replace a chain and front cog after 2500k, which I don’t mind as I will do it myself and the parts are cheap but it’s a consideration. Also the 11speed xt chain will be more expensive than my 10spd. If you look on pedelecs.co.uk they would say that hub motors are superior in this regard.

- my bike is a big bus, it pushes a lot of air which can be an issue in windy conditions and outside of assistance. The bike you link to looks to be a bit lower profile however. In saying that the size is a plus in traffic for visibility and general stability. I’ve actually gotten hit by a car and stayed on the bike for instance, it’s that stable.

- my bike uses Deore which is two systems below the xt 11spd you asked about. The Deore is excellent in my view, no issues at all. The only plus I can see is the 11spd of the xt, which you may not need as much as it’s an ebike after all. At the price you describe would it be worth considering a hub gear system, especially if you are going to use the bike in traffic/ town. Pluses are low maintenance as the chain lasts much longer and an ability to change gear while stopped. They are a bit heavier and cost is an issue. I think if I was buying again I would get a hub gear.

- standard tyres on my bike was not up to the use I put it through. To be fair chain Reaction Cycles replaced the rear for a better spec tyre following a sidewall failure on the standard tyres but I swapped to Schwalbe marathon plus tyres and these have been fine.

Are you constrained by bike to work scheme? If not I would consider buying online to try get better spec (hub geared cube?) for the same money.

Hi Ferris
    Regarding which uses, probably a mixture of all you mentioned but the bike will probably not get as much use as yours or anyone doing a daily commute on it. Like some others on these forums have mentioned Im coming upto my 50s/110KG and no where near as fit as when I was MTB 20-25yrs ago where i would have thought nothing of trekking on bike with mates from the N/side to meet the S/side lads and then go all over Dublin/Wicklow mountains and home again and think the electric would keep me riding as opposed to a non electric. As the dedication to getting/staying at a high level of fitness would not be possible without a lot of sacrifice which I dont think I have in me.

Not necessarily stuck on anyone groupset and as you say the Deore is most likely well up to the job for the miles I will be covering but if a package has better bits for the same money I will go with it. Without getting into silly money territory (€4K+) I dont think your going to get a sub 20KG bike with a lot of bells and whistles and think it would be wasted on someone like me. Cube and Giant seem to have some decent spec 2017/18 for €2.5-3K that look like they would last the test of time. As mentioned if the one on CRC had a bigger frame for €2K I would jump at it as it ticks all the boxes. So really looking to see if anyone on here has come across any good deals before i commit.

May not be much use to anyone as quite short notice and like myself people looking at these type of bikes will want to mull over but CycleSuperStore are doing a 10% discount on online purchases until Midnight today, simply put in "Snow10" at the checkout. So on something like I was looking at that is a saving of approx €250

I had a quick look and cannot find any better deals. Prices seem firmer now than when I bought mine. CRC we’re selling ebikes off cheap as there is a current legal issue regarding ebikes in the north, it’s a technicality that classifies them as motorbikes I think and they cannot get it sorted with the assembly out of commission.

All I can say is that I am very happy with my bike, I like the Bosch system and you are correctly buying the larger battery. Make sure that you test the bike first tho, nothing more expensive than the wrong size bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My bike with bosch performance is coming up on 3 years old now and the battery has held up very well. At a guess it might have lost 10-15% of capacity.

15km each weekday.

I got special ebike chains for mine which hold up to more torque.

If mine was nicked there is no question I would get another ebike.

rubadub wrote: »
    I got special ebike chains for mine which hold up to more torque.

Looking at the spec of the bike the OP is looking at it is supplied with a KMC ebike chain. Mine was just supplied with a standard KMC 10 speed chain.

In saying that the KMC ebike chain was 25eur, the equivalent original spec chain is 15eur, so I bought two and will change when it goes out of spec. Bought two 18T connex chainrings too to replace he one I changed when the bike was new - as you recommended. They were only 8quid or so on bike discount.

Drivetrain wear has been raised as an issue on bosch ebikes by some but even a skinflint like me can stretch to 23quid maintenance every 2.5k kms.

I got my chains cheap on CRC ages ago so got 3 of them.
    Shimano E6090 E-Bike 10 Speed Chain

Silver, 116 Links - sku431380

€16.49

RRP €40.99 | Saved 60%

cheapest at the moment is €31.49

€16 was a bargain alright, sorry I missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Does anybody out there have any experience with the giant road-e? Have been looking into it as it’s a road bike and also an electric bike too

The main thing I’m worried about is as soon as the motor stops with assistance it won’t be as easy as normal road bike to cruise at 35ish km on the flats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Does anybody out there have any experience with the giant road-e? Have been looking into it as it’s a road bike and also an electric bike too

The main thing I’m worried about is as soon as the motor stops with assistance it won’t be as easy as normal road bike to cruise at 35ish km on the flats

As someone who rides a pedelec, that's probably true. If you can cruise on a normal road bike at 35ish, you probably don't need a pedelec

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

homer911 wrote: »
    As someone who rides a pedelec, that's probably true. If you can cruise on a normal road bike at 35ish, you probably don't need a pedelec

its not for me, Im doing some research for my dad, as he's getting a bit older and wants to still get out but make it a bit easier for himself

No experience with any e roadbike as such but I do have a frustration with my eMTB where its very difficult to push once the assistance ends at 25kph. This is due to the wind resistance moreso than the weight IMO so a smaller silhouette of roadbike would help here. You are still talking about a 5-8kg weight penalty however.

However, with the road-e I cannot understand why you would have a mid-drive motor setup. Such a setup is beneficial in MTB's as they have to climb in low grip conditions where direct drive is an advantage. Really a bike that is used solely on roads only requires a hub motor, this has significant advantages in terms of drivetrain wear, system weight and cost. Giant are obviously invested with the Yamaha drive system in this regard.

There are a number of e-roadbikes available, its a growing segment due to the demand for people who have difficulties maintaining speed for whatever reason. My dad is similarly interested as he has had knee surgery and now struggles to keep up with his mates on a spin.

FWIW I particularly like Orbea's take on this with a small battery concealed in the downtube and a physically tiny 250w hub motor. Wouldn't give a lot of assistance, but you don't need a lot on a roadbike, and it only weighs 3.5kg.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/228810-orbeas-gain-e-bike-looks-just-normal-road-bike-packs-250w-motor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

loyatemu wrote: »
    IMO e-bikes are potentially a great solution for getting people who wouldn't otherwise consider cycling out of their cars and onto 2 wheels. The govt should consider increasing the BTW limit for them to encourage uptake; this probably wouldn't cost a huge amount.

It would cost the government a lot! ( drop in revenue from Motor tax, fuel, insurance etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Might keep people off hospital trolleys for longer..

some off the shelf ones sold here by legit outlets do go faster than 25km/h
    If you can cruise on a normal road bike at 35ish, you probably don't need a pedelec
    I was handy enough on my hybrid before I got an ebike. The huge advantage is arriving to work like I just had a stroll from the luas, i.e. not sweating, as I have no facilities in work.

I can a lot of weight too with no difficulty. I got to shops and places I never would have bothered with before as they are not longer a pain or effort to get to. I can bring shopping home from far away shops on my way home from work. As weight is not an issue I can carry loads of locks & chains.

There are little things you might not think of too. I can now get away with cheapo rain gear which is not breathable but lets nothing in, as there is no sweat build up. I can cycle in horrendous winds & rain no problem at all. I think I am a lot safer overall as its a cross country MTB with big tyres & suspension. I do not have to worry much about potholes & stuff, so can also focus more on other things around me.

If I want exercise I can always drop the assistance. I reckon I would be faster getting to work on my hybrid than on the ebike on its lowest assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GOpt

cubix wrote: »
    Lads
    Can anyone tell me if there is a better bike/spec out there for the same/ less money. This one has some of the better kit, CX motor-500 battery / Xt shimano/ air forks with lock out. Looked at the Giants on the same site but while slightly less the spec is not the same. CRC have a Cube touring 2017 model which looks good value at just under €2K with the CX motor/500 battery but slightly less fork /shimano spec but frame is only 50cm/20". I am just on 6ft and find a 54cm frame a bit more comfortable due to a more upright position

It seems that the price of the bike which was under €2000 in March is €2700 now in July. That's €700 => 35% increase in 4 months. What would be the reason? Any bike with the Motor: BOSCH Drive Unit Performance CX are 2700€ or above. In theory if there is no delimiter on the bike what max speeds BOSCH Active Line would reach/assist up to?

I was initially looking for a bike with good specs but looking at the prices may be will go for something like Halfords Carrera Vengeance Electric-mountain-bike with rear hub Bafang motor for €1,020. Does anyone have experience/thoughts/suggestions of this or similar bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

GOpt wrote: »
    It seems that the price of the bike which was under €2000 in March is €2700 now in July. That's €700 => 35% increase in 4 months. What would be the reason?
    Are you looking at the same model year? Its possible the current price is for the 2018 model while the earlier price could have been a reduced price for the 2017 model

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Perusercruiser

Hello lads, first time here, probably not the right place to say hello, but I got my new e bike today, it's a hybrid commuter bike called the Energise from Westhill bikes in the UK, it weighs 18kg, which isn't bad for one of these, 700c wheels, Bafang reardrive motor, shimano 9 speed, hydraulic bikes etc etc, if anyone's interested I'll give my thoughts on it in a few days or weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GOpt

Are you looking at the same model year? Its possible the current price is for the 2018 model while the earlier price could have been a reduced price for the 2017 model

I just clicked the link posted by Ferris: cyclesuperstore . ie/shop/pc/viewPrd . asp?idproduct=119097 (I'm not able to post the link as it is, so adding spaces before and after dot)

The bike specs he mentioned match to the bike in the link.

Hopefully 2019 bikes would be released at the end of this month and current bike costs might reduce. But not sure about it as I was looking at "Winora Sinus Tria 8" but the store has said 2019 will have same price tag of EUR 2500, but will be equipped with the Active Plus motor, which has a less powerful assistance than the current Performance motor (50nm of torque vs 60nm).

Advertisement