Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's boards.ie issue with people with a learning disability?.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I thought Boards makes people with learning difficulties moderators? Lots of gold stars on foreheads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Does the red line not show under misspelled words?

Could also be colour blind and therefore it shows up as a green line and hence he thinks it's correct.*

*This is a joke. Please don't start another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,918 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I thought Boards makes people with learning difficulties moderators? Lots of gold stars on foreheads here.

Darn tootin.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is it that unreasonable to expect a basic standard of spelling and grammar?

It's not just on boards. In everyday life spelling generally seems to be getting gradually worse from my experience.

Some of course have a disability but many don't and just don't bother to spell check.

I dunno, I'd be pretty delighted if I got gold stars while working or doing anything. Learning difficulty or no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Omackeral wrote: »
    I remember you OP from before and you come off as very defensive. I think your attitude is a lot more problematic than your learning disability. See below a run-in you had, ironically, with a poster named gramar.

Indeed, I remember it well.
    It never crossed my mind the OP mjght have been dyslexic. I just remember reading a fairly garbled text and making a light hearted comment about it appropriate to and in the general spirit of the thread it was posted on. I'm inclined to agree with Knucklehead6's post above and suspect it might be a wind up.

If not and the OP is on some kind of crusade to rid the internet of insults and jibes from arseholes then they've lost before they've begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Well add to it.

I can't understand A E I O U from each other as I can not sound out words they sound totally different.

I have been tested for my deslexa 3 times in my life. The last one was before my levaeing cert and it was stuff that I all ready know about.

With regards to jumping on backs for spelling this comes down to teachers who used to mark things wrong even if they where right. I give you a idea my biology teacher used to say to me after every year for 2 years that's no good Marco and you can't spell. Ended up with a C3 in higher lv when I done it on tape some how I must have had a good idea of what stuff was. That is just a story of one teacher who put me down for years it hurts and still hurts.

See people on here have never been put down for a disbilty for a good 20 years of your life and will all ways be put down by it. It shows that people in Ireland still have major issues with trying to understand a disability.

I have a firend who has the numbers version of it and any time we go for a meal I have to count her money and explain the bill to her. This is for a 36 year old woman who is fells it's very embarrassing for her and I all ways hell her on it as I understand what spellings is like for me. I know a few our people with deslexa we keep it hide and don't really like talking about but we do understand each other with issues that we will all ways face in day to day life.

Yes I use grammarly on my work laptop and home laptop not on my phone. This is why spelling is a little worse on my phone.

gramar wrote: »
    Indeed, I remember it well.
    It never crossed my mind the OP mjght have been dyslexic. I just remember reading a fairly garbled text and making a light hearted comment about it appropriate to and in the general spirit of the thread it was posted on. I'm inclined to agree with Knucklehead6's post above and suspect it might be a wind up.

If not and the OP is on some kind of crusade to rid the internet of insults and jibes from arseholes then they've lost before they've begun.

Are you drunk!?

OP, you seem to be holding on to a lot of resentment with it. That's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Are you drunk?!

fyp

• Advertisement

See people on here have never been put down for a disbilty for a good 20 years of your life and will all ways be put down by it. It shows that people in Ireland still have major issues with trying to understand a disability.

Wait. I thought you said people on here are always being put down for having a disability. Which is it now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Are you drunk!?

Did you just assume my state of intoxication?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well add to it.

I can't understand A E I O U from each other as I can not sound out words they sound totally different.

I have been tested for my deslexa 3 times in my life. The last one was before my levaeing cert and it was stuff that I all ready know about.

With regards to jumping on backs for spelling this comes down to teachers who used to mark things wrong even if they where right. I give you a idea my biology teacher used to say to me after every year for 2 years that's no good Marco and you can't spell. Ended up with a C3 in higher lv when I done it on tape some how I must have had a good idea of what stuff was. That is just a story of one teacher who put me down for years it hurts and still hurts.

I have a firend who has the numbers version of it and any time we go for a meal I have to count her money and explain the bill to her. This is for a 36 year old woman who is fells it's very embarrassing for her and I all ways hell her on it as I understand what spellings is like for me. I know a few our people with deslexa we keep it hide and don't really like talking about but we do understand each other with issues that we will all ways face in day to day life.

Yes I use grammarly on my work laptop and home laptop not on my phone. This is why spelling is a little worse on my phone.

If it upsets you so much why not refrain from posting on the phone? Use the devices with spell checker.

Everyone here is anonymous. No one will ever know who you are.

No point in getting worked up.

degsie wrote: »
    fyp

Both work.

Interrobang.

Sounds like grammar f*cking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

This. OP, I know what it's like 'cause I'm surrounded by dyslexics. I have a lot of sympathy. Or is it empathy. I'm always mixing those two up :)

With dyslexia you need to see that kind of reaction as their problem not yours, almost like a mild disability in itself because they can't help it as it's the way their personality is, or they haven't emotionally matured enough yet to know not to patronise people for making a mistake.

I'd be sorry to see posters with something to say, being driven away by humiliating remarks about their spelling abilities. So please on't take it to heart. It's not the site itself...

gramar wrote: »
    Did you just assume my state of intoxication?

Did you just assume that I can assume things?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The ''wiggly red lines'' as my friend calls them. They just confuse him more although he's getting used to it now. Dyslexia can be a confusing thing in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

I'd be sorry to see posters with something to say, being driven away by humiliating remarks about their spelling abilities. So please on't take it to heart. It's not the site itself...

:o:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭passatman86

Some of the replies in the other thread you have "phone call" are very immature and they pissed me off when i read them, I think a mod should take more action with people TRYING their hardest to get a response. Fair play to you for highlighting this issue... really people even taking the piss in this thread

Edit : I do like a joke , but insulting a disability ain't that funny

• Advertisement

Some of the replies in the other thread you have "phone call" are very immature and they pissed me off when i read them, I think a mod should take more action to people TRYING their hardest to get a response. Fair play to you for high lighting this issue... really people even taking the piss in this thread

I find reporting things you think need moderation helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think a lot of it comes from the **** who can spell but chose to produce utter crud because they equate Boards.ie and whatsapp to their mates.

While I feel for you (one of my favourite teachers in 2nd level was severely impacted by it but struggled through) there's really no reason not to let assistive text help you out now. Feature phones with T9 weren't that useful but anyone in IT will know that there are an array of KB apps that can turn "Weberdiy" into "Wednesday" and so forth.

I find reporting things you think need moderation helps.

Why should I do your job

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ED E wrote: »
    I think a lot of it comes from the **** who can spell but chose to produce utter crud because they equate Boards.ie and whatsapp to their mates.

While I feel for you (one of my favourite teachers in 2nd level was severely impacted by it but struggled through) there's really no reason not to let assistive text help you out now. Feature phones with T9 weren't that useful but anyone in IT will know that there are an array of KB apps that can turn "Weberdiy" into "Wednesday" and so forth.

SwiftKey turned that into "weber did" for me :(

Why should I do your job

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Edit : I do like a joke , but insulting a disability ain't that funny

How do people know if it's a disability or just laziness? R we to gve all ppl a pass in case we upset der feelings?

No, if you want to park in disabled access you display a sticker. If you want people to understand why your posts are not rushed or ill thought out then you inform people ... with a signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Why should I do your job

What job? :pac:

What job? :pac:

Well yours is keeping the drama section of Netflix filled with your straight to VOD classics.

How do people know if it's a disability or just laziness? R we to gve all ppl a pass in case we upset der feelings?

No, if you want to park in disabled access you display a sticker. If you want people to understand why your posts are not rushed or ill thought out then you inform people ... with a signature.

So what if it is not a disability and just a person who can't grasp spelling for one reason or another... this topic has no real personal impact on me i don't want to be seen as standing up for anyone .. I just think its a really sh1tty thing to make a laugh out of someone's inability to spell a few words.. I mean if people where actually clever and smart couldn't we work out a badly spelt sentence - in fact if someone took time "that they didn't have to" to help a person out with a cool answer , I would respect that a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So what if it is not a disability and just a person who can't grasp spelling for one reason or another... this topic has no real personal impact on me i don't want to be seen as standing up for anyone .. I just think its a really sh1tty thing to make a laugh out of someone's inability to spell a few words.. I mean if people where actually clever and smart couldn't we work out a badly spelt sentence - in fact if someone took time "that they didn't have to" to help a person out with a cool answer , I would respect that a lot

I'm not one to mock a person who looks to have difficulty with spelling or is a foreign national. But, if you think someone is just being lazy then they can be called on it.

However, if someone posts something that makes little sense (for whatever reason) then pointing this out isn't a crime. If it's in AH, then the person should be up for a ribbing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement