Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to music in another language?

Options
  • 11-09-2017 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I just watched Eros Ramazzoti live in Rome for like the 100th time. I love him:o..I barely understand a word he sings but I bought the DVD of this concert many years ago. He is brilliant.

I have a French Irish song on my pc that I love plus a few Spanish Irish songs. I just listen to a song and if I love the music then I love the song, it makes no difference to me if I don't understand the language.

I love Latina Music...everything about it appeals to me. Reggaeton. I love it. I love Enrique Iglesias when he sings in Spanish. One of Shakira's best albums was in Spanish. When Celine Dion sings 'Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore' live...especially when I saw her sing this song live.....I get very emotional.

Do you like to listen to music in another language. Some of it is so beautiful.

Music is so universal. I love it all. Do you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You are truly a citizen of the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I just watched Eros Ramazzoti live in Rome for like the 100th time. I love him:o..I barely understand a word he sings but I bought the DVD of this concert many years ago. He is brilliant.

I have a French Irish song on my pc that I love plus a few Spanish Irish songs. I just listen to a song and if I love the music then I love the song, it makes no difference to me if I don't understand the language.

I love Latina Music...everything about it appeals to me. Reggaeton. I love it. I love Enrique Iglesias when he sings in Spanish. One of Shakira's best albums was in Spanish. When Celine Dion sings 'Pour Que Tu M'aimes Encore' live...especially when I saw her sing this song live.....I get very emotional.

And acquaintance of mine fronts a long running Dublin based punk band called paranoid visions, he alsol was involved in a German outfit called striknein and despite me not having a word of German I loved it.
    Still belting out the tunes as paranoid visions. Deco Dachau his name is,Eva Destruction and Steve Ignorant are his sometimes bandmates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RebelHeart1981

Your Face 'You are truly a citizen of the world...

lol thanks, Some of it is so lovely though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RebelHeart1981

And acquaintance of mine fronts a long running Dublin based punk band called paranoid visions, he alsol was involved in a German outfit called striknein and despite me not having a word of German I loved it.
    Still belting out the tunes as paranoid visions. Deco Dachau his name is,Eva Destruction and Steve Ignorant are his sometimes bandmates.

I will have a listen if he is on Youtube. I have enjoyed the odd German Rap Tune in my time. I like to listen to anything new so I will Google him. Thanks harry:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Yes, I listen to Beethoven in German.

• Advertisement

I will have a listen if he is on Youtube. I have enjoyed the odd German Rap Tune in my time. I like to listen to anything new so I will Google him. Thanks harry:-)

Deco was the legendary figure that made the Chinaman a legendary Dublin pub. Unfortunately I wasn't of drinking age when Deco and the visions were drawing in the crowds, even if I was old enough to be drinking in pubs it was on the wrong side of the river,and I wouldn't have any business being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Rammstein.

And Cocteau Twins. They're Scottish and she sings in English but... Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Despacito

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yes but I don't understand bubonics which is the vernacular of the rapper people

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Rammstein.

Seeing them in at the O2 back in Febuary 2012 was probably the best concert I was ever at. What a fcking show.

They packed it out and the atmosphere was electric; they blew people away - literally. I'd say 90% of the audience couldn't understand a word.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Rammstein.

Seeing them in at the O2 back in Febuary 2012 was probably the best concert I was ever at. What a fcking show.

They packed it out and the atmosphere was electric; they blew people away - literally. I'd say 90% of the audience couldn't understand a word.

I provided a few security guards for that gig, it was mostly Polish people went to see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Celine Dion could be forgiven but reggaeton? The worst 'music' of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I regulalry listen to bands like Ska-P, Rammstein, Os Mutantes, Racionais MC.

I don't tend to listen to music in languages I have no idea about, though.

Bits of Air

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Offhand: Sabaton, though most of their albums are in English, as well as E Nomine and of course Rammstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Arghus wrote: »
    Rammstein.

Quoting this for truth. The songs on their own are so good they smash your skull, but that stage show took it to a whole other level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

No i don't really listen to it. One of my favourite songs is La Bamba though. I read/heard that Mick Jagger was influenced by that song and he did do a version of it before The Rolling Stones were formed.

Maybe considered cheesy but I like these French songs, Lambada by Kaoma, Joe Le Taxi by Vanessa Paradise and a song called Voyage Voyage by Desireless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've listened to Beethoven in the original German, does that count?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I've a huge soft spot for French pop music :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Sigur Ros sing primarily in Icelandic. Listen to them a lot and have not one iota what they are saying.

Super Furry Animals have a good few songs in their native Welsh.

as has already been mentioned a number of times in this thread, cant knock a bit of Rammstein in German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I live in Belgium, and as such quite enjoy the music of Stromae

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Rammstein (German), Sigur Ros (Icelandic) and Alcest (French). Few other once off songs as well on my phone in a few different languages.

Vocals can just be another instrument in certain styles of music so understanding the lyrics isn't necessary.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kpop is where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Artistes like Fainne Lasta, Raithneach, Amhann na Ngealach, Clannad. You like them artistes? Their music? Of course you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This thread reminded me that I haven't listened to Buena Vista Social Club in years. They're fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I switched on German radio the other day and was surprised how much of the lyrics I understood. Usually songs are harder to decipher than spoken language

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I switched on German radio the other day and was surprised how much of the lyrics I understood. Usually songs are harder to decipher than spoken language

Are you sure the songs weren't in English! :D

My wife is Dutch and sometimes puts Guus Meeuwis on, and it has to be some of the worst dirge I have every heard.

Dutch pop music is awful though mostly made of power ballads.

Not many - but I regularly listen to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan when I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Japanese speedcore like DJ Sharpnel
    https://youtu.be/fP2x0nyYSy8

Advertisement