Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the National cork opera house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

mrk75 wrote: »
    Good quality stream and sounded like a really good gig. I just don't see what Hannigan brings to the party - I just find her insipid and a bit meh.

I thought Bon Iver kinda ruined Slow Show. I guess there's such a thing as "too many cooks" sometimes...

I didnt mind Lisa but think Vernon ruined any song he had a part in.
    No need for him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Great quality & a lot of cameras for the stream, I'm wondering if there's going to be an official video made from it...

Was underwhelmed by the actual gig. Obviously watching it tired, with tv quality sound (compared to being there) doesn't help but I found it wasn't as energetic as I expected. The set-list was a major reason. Then again album is more subdued compared to High Violet, which fetured heavily on that famous, amazing Sydney gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Yeah thought it was excellent. I'm a huge fan of Justin Vernon so I had no problems with him sharing the stage with them.
    I watched some of the stream back the next day and it wasn't a patch on witnessing it live, which you'd expect but the atmosphere was electric and I don't think that translated across in the stream at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

dinneenp wrote: »
    Was underwhelmed by the actual gig. Obviously watching it tired, with tv quality sound (compared to being there) doesn't help but I found it wasn't as energetic as I expected. The set-list was a major reason. Then again album is more subdued compared to High Violet, which fetured heavily on that famous, amazing Sydney gig.

I felt the setlist had too many new and slow tempo songs.

Nothing at all from Alligator ,no Mr November,Abel ,England, and other high energy songs .
    Matt seemed a bit subdued ,obviously it was the first gig of the tour ,and was being televised so he had to rein it in ,he only did his antics on a few songs .
    He didn't drink much at all ,a few sips here and there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

Maybe I am being a grump but I felt there was way too much singing along by the crowd. Everyone there is a fan and know most of the songs word for word but surely we are there to listen to the band... I was in the centre about 20 foot back from the stage but could barely hear vocals on many songs, especially fake empire etc...

My expectations were huge going in and I was a little flat after. In contrast the night before for Bon Iver I wasn't expecting too much but thought they were phenomenal.

overall, what a festival, so many surprises all over the city, hope they continue it. I assume it will only keep going if they feel they have enough to offer, rather than just do it for the sake of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

I said to my girlfriend that the National gig was like a Picture This gig but for adults. I enjoyed the audience participation on a lot of the songs. I think the late gig meant a good percentage of the crowd were in high spirits. I even saw two women being carted out drunk during the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭glanman

I did wonder that; if it was influenced by late time, drinking and my sober state!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,814 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FYI - this is being shown on RTE2 on Friday night (29th) from 11.50pm.

Advertisement