Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the National cork opera house

Options
  • 10-09-2017 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭

So I asked in the other thread but I thought since that threat is aimed at the Dublin gigs, I might have a better chance here.

The gig says 10pm...... is that correct? I've not Ben to any gigs in the opera house so don't know if they mean that's the time the National are on stage or that's the doors open time.

Seems like a late start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Cork Opera House tickets always state show start time, so if there is support that's when they will come on stage or if there is no support it will be The National.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

So the doors will likely open before that with the gig starting at the "show time"? Sorry I just found that a little late to be starting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No tickets sales or swaps allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mr.H wrote: »
    So the doors will likely open before that with the gig starting at the "show time"? Sorry I just found that a little late to be starting.

Yes ,the doors will open before 10,its usually an hour beforehand ,so 9pm in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I presume this question is allowed- do the Opera House hold back a batch and sell closer to the gig? extra tickets were released for LCD Soundsystem so I'm hoping the same will happen (I know it's different venue)

• Advertisement

You could ring them and ask. Maybe they will let you know if anyone "returns" tickets for some reason. I know it happens in other concert hall venues all the time.

Worth a phone call if you want a ticket

Thanks. Called them 10 time but they're not answering...will call in the morning.

Phoned the Opera House, absolutely no extra tickets being sold.There's a waiting list but over 100 on it!

That sucks but at least you know now

I'm going to cancel my hotel but if anyone needs a hotel room I should be able to swap details. 
    Metropole hotel bed only for the Sat night, booking cost €119. Offering for face value. Cost now is now €398. 
    If anyone interested just PM me. 
    Cheers, 
    Pa.

• Advertisement

Sounds from safe harbour site mentions to expect surprise guests......... really??

Also anyone been to a gig in the opera house? What's the situation regarding pints? I'm in the middle seated tier at the very back. Do I have access to a bar and a toilet and am I far from either? Also the fact the show doesn't start until 10. Will the bar close at half 10 as usual or will it stay open

Sounds from safe harbour site mentions to expect surprise guests......... really??

Also anyone been to a gig in the opera house? What's the situation regarding pints? I'm in the middle seated tier at the very back. Do I have access to a bar and a toilet and am I far from either? Also the fact the show doesn't start until 10. Will the bar close at half 10 as usual or will it stay open

Bar stays open during the gig from my experience.
    There is a small bar counter at the back of the downstairs standing area and also a bar area upstairs just outside the seated area.
    They only sell Heineken branded drinks.

Good thing I am a Heineken connoisseur then haha. That sounds good. Just trying to make plans of whether this will be a sober gig or not. Thanks for the wisdom

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

lordgoat wrote: »
    No tickets sales or swaps allowed.

Toutless.com has put up a restricted tickets forum to help real fans looking for tickets, or trying to sell spares, in situations like this.
    A lot of people might not be aware of this so just posting here to let everyone know.
    https://www.toutless.com/viewforum.php?f=22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Expect Lisa Hannigan and maybe Justin Vernon on a song or two, and I wouldn't rule out seeing Saint Sister, Wyvern Lingo or someone do harmonies with them in the way that This is the Kit have often done in the past.

Ben Lanz, a frequent touring member and member of LNZNDRF is in Cork this weekend so expect him on stage, but probably as a member of the band for the whole show.

Anyone going to Bon Iver tonight, Fionn Regan and a Voiceworks choir led by Gemma Sugrue are apparently involved.

It's gonna be great. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Really look forward to this, anyone have any idea what the finishing time is in the opera house, do they have a curfew like a lot of venues? Trying to make arrangements to get home afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Expect Lisa Hannigan and maybe Justin Vernon on a song or two, and I wouldn't rule out seeing Saint Sister, Wyvern Lingo or someone do harmonies with them in the way that This is the Kit have often done in the past.

Ben Lanz, a frequent touring member and member of LNZNDRF is in Cork this weekend so expect him on stage, but probably as a member of the band for the whole show.

Anyone going to Bon Iver tonight, Fionn Regan and a Voiceworks choir led by Gemma Sugrue are apparently involved.

It's gonna be great. :cool:

Imagine if we get Heavenly Father.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Really look forward to this, anyone have any idea what the finishing time is in the opera house, do they have a curfew like a lot of venues? Trying to make arrangements to get home afterwards

They don't have a curfew

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Doors at 10pm and support on shortly after, the National are on at 11pm. They play a 1.5 hour set so you'll be out on the street for about 12.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Robotito wrote:
    Doors at 10pm and support on shortly after, the National are on at 11pm. They play a 1.5 hour set so you'll be out on the street for about 12.45.

Cheers. Conflicting info out there though seeing as my tickets say door time is 19.30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Cheers. Conflicting info out there though seeing as my tickets say door time is 19.30!

Doors 9pm according to Cork Opera House site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

dinneenp wrote: »

Stream is live now. Just waiting on the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Great performance but disappointing setlist

siblers wrote: »
    Great performance but disappointing setlist

Very disappointing setlist.
    The first fifty minutes was epic stuff but it deteriorated once the special guests appeared.
    10 songs off the new album is a bit self indulgent especially when its not one of their better albums.
    While it was nice to have extra guests ,it diluted the show ,it wasn't a proper National gig.

The setlist had too many slow tempo songs and not enough uptempo stuff.
    It was great to see them up close in such a small venue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The stream from last night is on youtube. Not sure if it's legit so may be taken off soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Thought that was an absolutely brilliant show. Have seen them six times and now and while it wasn't the best show I've seen, it was definitely towards the top of that list. The venue is great and it is so rare to see the national in that size a room now.

Set list was great. It was the official launch of the Sleep Well Beast tour so of course it was going to be very heavy on that side of things. A lot of the new songs worked very well live too, I thought.

The guests were interesting. (and I've actually seen them bring on guests in 3 of the 6 gigs I've been to, not unusual for them to do it at all. They're a collaborative band and they tend to use their connections quite a bit) Lisa Hannigan sounded fine but didn't add a huge amount I thought. Slow Moving Clouds was a nice touch but Justin Vernon just stole the show for me on Guilty Party and Slow Show. Stunning.

Only complaint is that Alligator didn't get a look in on the setlist, which is a shame. I understand they've a huge back catalogue now and it was nice to get Wasps Nest, for e.g., but I hope that some alligator songs work their way back in later in the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭ngunners

The stream from last night is on youtube. Not sure if it's legit so may be taken off soon

Should still be on arte too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really great show I thought, a lot have summed it up well already but thought Vernon would have joined in a song proper rather than harmonising at the end of songs, even though I did enjoy those parts. 'The System Only Dreams.....' sounds fantastic live, was blown away by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭mrk75

Good quality stream and sounded like a really good gig. I just don't see what Hannigan brings to the party - I just find her insipid and a bit meh.

I thought Bon Iver kinda ruined Slow Show. I guess there's such a thing as "too many cooks" sometimes...

Advertisement