Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Have the last of my long and medium long runs done too. Happy now to rest and recover during the taper. It’s funny now in the few weeks before the race where nothing you do can improve your expected marathon performance, but most things can have a negative impact.

I haven’t received my race pack. When should we be expecting that and what is usually in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

purelike wrote: »
    I haven’t received my race pack. When should we be expecting that and what is usually in it?

The Runner's Passport. I still haven't received mine. Gives details of expo, start, etc. Basic stuff and you present it when picking up your actual race pack.

But if you don't have it there's a desk at the expo to get a replacement.

There's nothing in it that isn't in the main race pack.

Make sure to bring ID (actual passport) to the expo when collecting your race pack even if you already have the Runner's Passport. You won't get your race pack/bib without ID.

I got my race passport in the post yesterday. I am in Wave 1 Corral 5 too, Paulie. I might see you there.

Looks like the forecast is for rain. Is there shelter at Hopkinton? Looks like there could be a lot of sitting/standing around waiting for 10am.

Got my race passport on Friday.

Weather forecast is changing every minute and will up until the race start!
    Current forecast suggests we'll miss most of the rain but unfortunately it does look like there will be a stiff easterly wind.
    The weather in Boston in April is extremely changeable.

If it is raining then there is cover in the athletes village - just makes it a bit crowded as we're all under cover. In 2015 it was cold and wet and they handed out the foil blankets to everybody.

You'll be walking down to the start from there which takes 15 or 20 mins and then maybe 10 mins in the starting pen standing.

I hope everybody is in great shape!

The weather is changing a lot alright. It is all over the place! Looks like the wind is going to be against us anyways.

When going to Hopkinton from the city, what is the best way to save time and avoid waiting around in the cold? I'm meant to be getting a bus hours and hours before the start which is not ideal.

• Advertisement

The bus transfers are the best way. We’ll all be under a big tent huddled like penguins in the athletes village so hopefully won’t be that bad. There’s a balancing act between getting there early enough to be in the centre or a later bus but then being stuck on the edges of the tent :) - I’m gonna head out as normal, maybe one of the later wave 1 buses, and wear lots of disposable layers.
    The time actually goes quite quickly out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Scary number of posts there PaulieYifter........

OOnegative wrote: »
    Scary number of posts there PaulieYifter........

Think someone hacked my account...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, hope the weather plays some sort of ball.
    The bus transfers are the best way. We’ll all be under a big tent huddled like penguins in the athletes village so hopefully won’t be that bad. There’s a balancing act between getting there early enough to be in the centre or a later bus but then being stuck on the edges of the tent :) - I’m gonna head out as normal, maybe one of the later wave 1 buses, and wear lots of disposable layers.
    The time actually goes quite quickly out there.

Was it really three years ago the bunch of us were huddled in the tent shivering at the start?!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

best of luck tomorrow to everyone. unfortunately my luck ran out 4x weeks ago when I tripped in the back garden and tri fractured my right ankle. With rehab I'm hoping to target 2020 but one step at a time so who knows. Anyway will be hoping everyone has a blast on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Beat of luck to all. Last minutes switch to long sleeve shirt ! Otherwise it is In the lap tap of the gods. I am channeling Connemara 2016 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Best of luck tomorrow guys and paulie bring home that sub 3

ger664 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow guys and paulie bring home that sub 3

Feck sake Ger I’ve already got a fistful of sub 3s (just not at Boston and that doesn’t bother me ;)!). If I run the course on Tuesday instead of Monday would it still count?

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Looking at some clips on twitter I feel for the runners today, it looks horrific.

Sun in London for this Sunday doesn’t look like the worst option.

Thought is was bad a few years ago but this is something else :eek:

https://twitter.com/alistaircragg/status/985848656241848320

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

are they running with or against the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

RayCun wrote: »
    are they running with or against the wind?

I think the wind is ENE, so I think thats a nasty headwind

Pretty much into the wind I'd say.

448382.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Is there any links to watch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

KJ wrote: »
    Is there any links to watch it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/athletics/43741426

Leaders of women through 5k at 2.42 pace with serious downhill in 1st 10k tells you how bad things are

• Advertisement

That one isn't available outside UK. Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

KJ wrote: »
    That one isn't available outside UK. Thanks though.

??

I have been watching it sitting here in Dublin the last 50 min :confused:

(Edit:on a VPN I just realised)

Should do the job

http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/boston-marathon-live-streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Download a TV streaming App such as UKTVNow - it's on NBC Sports

??

I have been watching it sitting here in Dublin the last 50 min :confused:

(Edit:on a VPN I just realised)

Should do the job

http://cricfree.sc/watch/live/boston-marathon-live-streaming
    Awesome. Thank you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is that Yuki they just said was in the lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It is also being shown on the Red Button on BBC.

I managed to tune in BBC red button on the other channels section on Sky so now I can watch it on the tv instead of a stream.
    Good lord the weather is shocking. I thought it was the grainy live stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

The women and mens race both predicted to finish at 12:11-12:12 local time... could be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

robinph wrote: »
    Is that Yuki they just said was in the lead?

Yep, he keeps putting in bursts to drop the pack for a few minutes before slotting back into the pack :) seems he is not interested in a pedestrian pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

The women and mens race both predicted to finish at 12:11-12:12 local time... could be fun :D
    Could make for some unbelievable drama!! Women's race could be interesting yet and the men's........... yet to unfold.

Advertisement