Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2018

Options
  • 08-09-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Just to flag up that registration opens next Monday 11th September at 10am Boston Time (3pm BST) for those lucky enough (or old enough:)) to have a qualifying time 20 min inside the standard. It then continues through to final closing on 20th Sep at 10pm BST.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I'll be in again - this will be my 6th year in a row to enter although I've only managed to run 3 out of the last 5. Still haven't figured out how to crack the course so until I do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Tempting...... I have the time, but coming back from a niggle. Training wouldn't start until December. That gives me time to establish base, but would be concerned of suffering an injury setback.

Where you able to delay your registration after injury last year Paulie or is it a case of tough luck?

There's no refunds or deferrals or transfers so you have to commit. It's a fantastic marathon - it's like a drug for me. I already have my hotel booked for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

They're soft times all the same. And I'm not being 'ironic'. Would like to do it but the logistics and cost right now count it out.

Itziger wrote: »
    They're soft times all the same. And I'm not being 'ironic'. Would like to do it but the logistics and cost right now count it out.

The older you get the easier the times are even allowing for age. It's seems easy now but when I was running my 1st marathon the thoughts of a BQ time seemed a pipe dream and the 1st time I qualified was a huge effort.

They go mad for Boston in the States - races advertise themselves as great for a BQ, official BQ course, etc. The pace groups in US marathons usually start at 3:05 and then in increments to match the qualifying times.

Fuppin love the race in case you haven't noticed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Will certainly do it again one day, but not next year. Shame to waste a couple of qualifiers but you're right, they are not that hard to achieve once you've made the first one. Much easier than London and NY GFAs - because there are far more spaces available per age/sex category as this is a qualifier only race (apart from the relatively small number of tourist slots). Will one day return to exorcise the 2016 demons! It really is a terrific atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

This was in the plan once I got the BQ in Dublin 2016 but unfortunately logistics & cost have ruled it out for 2018.

But I have used the time to get a spot in London 2018 and as was pointed out to me, I'll just have to keep the qualifying times coming so I'll eventually get there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My time is 3:24 under qualifying standard so fingers crossed that it will be good enough. Never thought I would get a BQ and am dying to run it. Spent the last 5 miles of Berlin last year saying "Boston Boston Boston" over and over until I stumbled across the line. Will be gutted if I don't make the cut.

Just received my acceptance email. Delighted.

• Advertisement

paulers06 wrote: »
    Just received my acceptance email. Delighted.

Same here - 2 weeks waiting on it!

paulers06 - the cut off was 3:23 - ever second counted for you!

paulers06 - the cut off was 3:23 - ever second counted for you!

That's insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

That's crazy! Really tough cut-off. Fairplay for pushing so hard in Berlin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

Hi, I’ll be doing Boston for the first time this year. Nearly time to start the training cycle. A quick question for all you veterans, what is the course like, and how does it compare to the Dublin Marathon in terms of hilliness? Any tips or advice would be great, thanks!

purelike wrote: »
    Hi, I’ll be doing Boston for the first time this year. Nearly time to start the training cycle. A quick question for all you veterans, what is the course like, and how does it compare to the Dublin Marathon in terms of hilliness? Any tips or advice would be great, thanks!

Assuming I make the start next April will be my 4th Boston. I've done Dublin twice. Boston is a tricky course to get right - I still haven't nailed it. The first time I went over I was thinking they over-egg the chat about the hills but they don't. I do a good bit of mountain running but "hills" in a marathon road race are a different challenge.

Although in Boston you are running a net downhill it's pretty much always rolling so you are either going up or down - there's nowhere really flat.

The steepest downhill sections are probably in the 1st 5k and this can come back to bite you later. At 25k you get thrown down a hill before you meet a series of 4 climbs from 25k to 34k that finishes with the real Heartbreak Hill.

It's then up and down to the finish - mostly down - but every time I've done it my quads were in bits from the early downhill so that I would have preferred flat or uphill!

I'm doing one of the online plans from the BAA website this time that includes specific training for running downhill.

You're in for a treat - my favourite marathon by a long way despite the fact that the course (and weather) have nailed me on previous attempts.

Have a read of this: https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-marathon/2017/04/17/toughest-miles-boston-marathon-course

PaulieYifter, thanks for the response. I enjoyed reading it and the article. It’s amazing reading peoples reviews of the course. They all seem to remember every land mark, turn, and hill :) you sound fairly familiar with the DCM. Would you say Boston is faster or slower than Dublin?

It sounds like runs on undulating hills to get the quads used to a hammering will need to be included in training. Does anyone have any suggestions of routes in or around Dublin that might be good for that? If the downhill at the start beats up the quads, are you better to go slightly easier in the 1st half?

I think Boston is a much tougher course than Dublin (I haven't run the new Dublin course though - last time was 2012).
    The weather (wind direction on a point to point course) can be a big factor too but that's outside our control.

Running on undulating hills should definitely be part of the plan. The plan on the BAA website had hill sessions every 2 weeks that start with 6 x (300 up + 300 down) building up to 6 x (800 up + 800 down). The thing with these though is the down parts are to be done @ marathon pace. They also suggest a number of the long runs (including marathon pace) to be run on rolling hill courses.

Depends on where you are in Dublin but the Sutton side of Howth Hill goes up and down a bit - some of the EOI courses like Lusk and Balbriggan would be good and probably a better match to Boston. There's more options on the south side of Dublin as you get closer to the Dublin mountains but other than being actually on the mountains I'm not familiar with the roads.

All the expert advice says to go easy in the 1st half - easier said than done when you go flying down the hill at the very start and that sets the rhythm! The 2nd half is tougher than the 1st half so it's likely to be slower anyway unless you've taken it too easy. One piece of advice I read is if you are passing people in the 1st half of the race then you are going too fast - this is based on starting in a corral that matches your level which in general is true in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

There are a bunch of youtube videos of the Boston course

This is one of my favorites

I'm back taking another crack at getting to the Boston start line after several DNSs :o and a frustrating four year gap since I last managed a BQ. Hoping to stay healthy and get a reasonable winter for training this time.

Thanks for the video @pgmcpq, really informative. A lovely rolling course by the looks of it.

@PaulieYifter, I’ve only ran the DCM since ’14, so I wouldn’t be familiar with the older course. Did it have to change to accommodate the LUAS or something like that?

Your advice on the sessions looks to be very appropriate. This is my first spring marathon, and training during the winter isn’t much craic. Do you get used to it or does it get better at any point?

I’m based on the south side of Dublin. What are the EOI courses (Excuse my ignorance)? I think I’ll be going up running around the reservoirs a good bit. I usually do my long runs in the Phoenix Park to save the legs getting hammered.

I think I’ll try and take it a little handier for the first 13 – 15 mi so I’ve a bit in the tank for the hills. Looks like a real challenge. I’ve all my flights and accommodation booked now, so all set.

• Advertisement

Yeah the Dublin course changed a bit in 2014 due to LUAS works - don't think it made a significant difference though. EOI is the East of Ireland marathon group that put on marathons (including half options) nearly every month: http://www.sportszone.ie/club-show-events.php?club_id=48

Reservoirs and the PP sound ideal for Boston training. Don't overthink the hills but it is important to make sure the training isn't on pancake flat routes.

I'm more injury prone in winter training but the weather and the dark doesn't bother me other than I can't go off road in the dark - sure we'll be in to lovely spring weather soon.

Thanks for the link Paulie. Hope your training is going well. That’s great now to have more options for long distance races. There isn’t much in the line of road racing going on until after Boston.

I’ve a couple of questions about the race itself if anyone fancies fielding them. Are there pacers in the race for different times like in other marathons, are there mile or kilometre markers on the course, and finally, at what frequency are the Water stations, and does it come in cups or bottles?

Training still on track so far - week 8/20 - hope you’re in good shape.

No pacers of any sort in this race - even the elites have no pacers.
    Mile markers and 5k markers.
    Water and Gatorade every mile from mile 2 - and lots of it.
    All paper cups - no bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

I'm a relative intermittent running newbie with injuries and a broken ankle from a bike accident in 2015 but I have been around Dublin 4x times so far since 2010 with most recent in 2017. I've had it as a bucket list item to run Boston. I had a plan to push for an age 60 BQ in next 3 years which would be a big improvement for me from previous PB of 4:50. As a complete surprise I just gotten a sponsor spot for Boston through our company who are HQ'd in USA - so I'm in. Hoping to get around and enjoy the experience and then know what I'm up against when I can work up to that elusive BQ. Now having to make arrangements in a hurry, great course info above.

Welcome @Walkedit. That’s great that you managed to get an entry to the race, sure you can always get your age 60 BQ there ;) I hope you are going good with the training. ‘Tis a fair old slog in the winter months but will all be worth it come mid-April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

purelike wrote: »
    Welcome @Walkedit. That’s great that you managed to get an entry to the race, sure you can always get your age 60 BQ there ;) I hope you are going good with the training. ‘Tis a fair old slog in the winter months but will all be worth it come mid-April :)

Thanks, yes I'm up and running, coming from relative hibernation the last 2x weeks have been a shock to the system but I managed 35km and 45km so training is begun at least, planning last 10 wks of a 12x week plan, focusing on the long run done easy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Jamaica Pond parkrun is now officially ready to launch and will be on marathon weekend.

http://blog.parkrun.com/us/2018/03/06/growing-a-new-parkrun-community/

I would love to do that. Am flying out on the Saturday so will miss it :( Oh well, next time.

Hope everyone's training is going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Last long 20 mile run for me today. Thank heavens ! Made sure my quads and calves got hammered on the roads. Qualified last Sept in Oslo. In Wave 2. Mad to think 7700 qualified faster than 3.09. Has anyone received their race pack yet ? Thought it would have arrived by now. Best of luck to all racing.

• Advertisement

Wave 1 Corral 5 for me. Couple of sessions left but the long runs are done. Race has kinda crept up on me despite starting the plan early December.

I haven’t got my ‘runners passport’ yet either but you can pick up a copy at the expo if it doesn’t arrive so don’t worry. I didn’t get entry acceptance in the post this time either so it’s possible they’re not sending physical post to Europe - although I’ve got it for all previous years.

Best of luck everybody - stay sound for the next couple of weeks.

Advertisement