Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you can't afford a house in Dublin, move!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I live in Dublin and my family has a great quality of life, thanks.

What would really improve the city would be if all the whingers did us a favour and went back to their rural idylls :rolleyes:

I moved back west 15 years ago and haven't looked back. I only go to Dublin for semi-finals and finals now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

most people are only too delighted to get away from their families

its like in Father Ted - keep them at a safe distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I doubt accommodation costs, building costs, traffic and pollution would magically stay the same if big employers suddenly decided to locate west....

There are some big employers along the western seaboard, for example in the cities of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Sligo. And yes, accommodation costs, building costs, traffic and pollution are less than in Dublin. Housing can cost less than half, for example. Plus there is more scope / accessibility for adventure sports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

kuntboy wrote: »
    God help anyone living in the country. There are only 5 allowable topics of conversation:
    1. County/club GAA
    2. How much Mossy-Jo got for his field.
    3. The Weather.
    4. Dem fockin Jackeens up in Dublin

Actually it's only 4 topics lol. Jesus Christ.

I'd suggest that you need to get out a bit more if that's what you think the topics of conversation outside Dublin is.
    Lol @ this response. Just lol.

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

The only thing that drives me mad about this is when people have kids and they talk about their poor little kids being in hotels and them having a horrible childhood because of the state but then they go off and get pregnant again. If they were religious and married I'd understand and didn't believe in contraception I'd be fine about it but they come across that way.

It's not an accident, once they get "their" house they will care even less about their children.

The kids are f**ked before they're even conceived.

The state is not blameless either as they are offering perverse incentives.

Long story short, society is either willing to make some hard choices or live with the consequences of taking the easy way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

maryishere wrote: »
    There are some big employers along the western seaboard, for example in the cities of Cork, Limerick, Galway and Sligo. And yes, accommodation costs, building costs, traffic and pollution are less than in Dublin. Housing can cost less than half, for example. Plus there is more scope / accessibility for adventure sports etc.

I accept all that you say but this is all based on an equilibrium at the moment. If you suddenly introduced more big employers into these areas common sense will tell you that traffic will increase and with the increase in demand for houses either to buy or rent will rise and along with it, cost. Its basic economics. Obviously they are unlikely to reach Dublin levels but from what I can tell, Galway, where a lot of people would like to live on the west, is far from cheap as it is.

There's no great mystery that Dublin as the capital city is going to be the most expensive place in the country to live. Its the same in every country in the world and Ireland/Dublin is no different. The issue is supply which in turn affects price but unless a non-profit making government is going to turn around and take over the whole house building activities of the country then you'll always have a case where builders will manipulate the market and not over-supply in order to keep prices as high as they can, I reckon.

I would actually love to relocate out west myself having spent happy childhood holidays in the southwest but just upping and leaving is never that easy when its not enforced for economic reasons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

The problem with moving jobs out to the arse end of the country and then moving people out to live there is that should one of those companies fail it is devestating.

If a company fails or leaves in Dublin it's only a ripple.

No longer than moving Facebook to Donegal and getting all the staff to buy houses up there and Facebook say see ya.

The .you have heaps of people up there with morgages and no jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Liamario wrote: »
    Dubs who think anywhere outside their county is like the wild west.

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Crispycool

Easier said than done

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The problem with moving jobs out to the arse end of the country and then moving people out to live there is that should one of those companies fail it is devestating.

If a company fails or leaves in Dublin it's only a ripple.

No longer than moving Facebook to Donegal and getting all the staff to buy houses up there and Facebook say see ya.

The .you have heaps of people up there with morgages and no jobs.

That is a good argument to find a focal point for jobs outside of Dublin where multiple companies of multiple different industries could be focussed. I recall a few years ago talk of developing the Mullingar/Tullamore/Athlone region by building developments accessible from all three. This would seem like a reasonable plan in that you are still close enough to Dublin but you open up a huge area of the country. This would allow reasonably priced housing for everyone. Unfortunately, again, you are relying on a long term strategy from government and it would be expensive for the first few years.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is a good argument to find a focal point for jobs outside of Dublin where multiple companies of multiple different industries could be focussed. I recall a few years ago talk of developing the Mullingar/Tullamore/Athlone region by building developments accessible from all three. This would seem like a reasonable plan in that you are still close enough to Dublin but you open up a huge area of the country. This would allow reasonably priced housing for everyone. Unfortunately, again, you are relying on a long term strategy from government and it would be expensive for the first few years.

Build a new high rise city and service it well. Companies and people will be only too happy to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Build a new high rise city and service it well. Companies and people will be only too happy to move there.

Or we could, y'know, actually provide Dublin with the infrastructure a city of its size needs and should have had decades ago.

If we are not willing to do that, we're not going to do it for any new city either.

Life ain't always empty.

Or we could, y'know, actually provide Dublin with the infrastructure a city of its size needs and should have had decades ago.

If we are not willing to do that, we're not going to do it for any new city either.

And how is this going to happen?
    The same mantra has been mooted for years.
    You are wasting your breath.
    It has a better chance all though extremely slim of happening if you start from a clean slate than if you start trying to modify the existing city, where it has zero chance of happening.
    Ask those waiting on metro North as just one example. How long has that been on the go in all it's different forms?

You will be retired before Dublin is modified to your standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And how is this going to happen?
    The same mantra has been mooted for years.
    You are wasting your breath.
    It has a better chance all though extremely slim of happening if you start from a clean slate than if you start trying to modify the existing city, where it has zero chance of happening.
    Ask those waiting on metro North as just one example. How long has that been on the go in all it's different forms?

You will be retired before Dublin is modified to your standards.

And your grandchildren would be retired before a new city as you described came even halfway to completion.

VinLieger wrote: »
    And your grandchildren would be retired before a new city as you described came even halfway to completion.

New cities can be built quikley. Starting with a blank canvas is the beauty of it.
    I think you are iimagining a whole new city the size of Dublin. Think Canary wharf, but on a train link to Dublin. As the place is built the odd company and people will move to it and commute to Dublin. As it becomes more self contained more companies will move and people will.commute the other way. Eventually it will make more sense to set up companies and to live there as it grows .... Properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

New cities can be built quikley. Starting with a blank canvas is the beauty of it.
    I think you are iimagining a whole new city the size of Dublin. Think Canary wharf, but on a train link to Dublin. As the place is built the odd company and people will move to it and commute to Dublin. As it becomes more self contained more companies will move and people will.commute the other way. Eventually it will make more sense to set up companies and to live there as it grows .... Properly.

I think the point was to have the new city built on green field sites somewhere in middle using Tullamore/Athlone/Mullingar as the residential area providing rail links to the new city.
    It would probably take 20-30 years to do it and in this country would be abandoned halfway with a subsequent tribunal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think the point was to have the new city built on green field sites somewhere in middle using Tullamore/Athlone/Mullingar as the residential area providing rail links to the new city.
    It would probably take 20-30 years to do it and in this country would be abandoned halfway with a subsequent tribunal
    Like the last "decentralization" move!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Liamario wrote: »
    I have zero sympathy for anyone who can't get a place to live in Dublin.

You seem sound OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

it will be all sound when the Chinese come to Athlone ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Shelga wrote: »
    What if all your family and friends are there and you're not 'fortunate' enough to be a culchie?

Make new friends and visit family on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

LeBash wrote: »
    What about an hour or an hour and a half to work? That's the real issue, it's where probably about 30-35 % of the people of Ireland are employed. Nobody wants to commute for 3 hours a day.

This.

I live on the Wild Atlantic West and my commute is 20 minutes (almost every day) and I can work from home 1-2 days a week.
    I don't think I would be capable of moving to a 30+ minute commute. Traffic kills my soul.

I live in the outer reaches of Dublin city (outside the M50) and my commute into the centre is 20 minutes also. Motorcycles and scooters, not cars are the way to go pending the investment into underground rapid transit that'll never be let happen.

Life ain't always empty.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Like the last "decentralization" move!

A scam to encourage councils to rezone lands to make connected people very rich.

Or, putting it another way, it was also a means of setting fire to a billion euro of taxpayers' money in order to make the delivery of public services less efficent, but buying some votes along the way.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Decentralization talk is the usual agenda-driven fudging.

A small city the size of Dublin shouldn't be that hard for which to provide decent public transport, infrastructure and housing (upwards if necessary).

Advertisement