Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some C**ts tried to rob my bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,065 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ground anchor.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

That looks like someone has ripped out the wires out of badness, rather than a theft attempt. Not even the most amateur of thieves would have butchered it in that way.

Is it loud? Is it possible a neighbour may have an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

pablo128 wrote: »
    That looks like someone has ripped out the wires out of badness, rather than a theft attempt. Not even the most amateur of thieves would have butchered it in that way.

It is pretty loud to be fair but I always try to coast in to the car park and I only drive it once a week. I'd doubt someone would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

pablo128 wrote: »

Yeah I'd second this. The last thing a thief is doing is starting the bike. Did the chain look as if it was even touched ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

A buddie of mine lived in those apartments behind the Regency Hotel a few years ago, and one of his neighbours had his bike stolen, they put the bike on the back of his pick-up and stole that too.

Generally underground " Secure " car-parks have open fire exits. so access can be fairly easy.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Hey, your chain doesn't look to great, invest in an almax chain. Expensive, but if you have one there's a better chance to deter scummers
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Pretty much impossible to cut with a bolt cutters which will deter most people.

I tried to purchase one from them but they returned my purchase. They don't post to Ireland or NI apparently. Is there anywhere to purchase them over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    I tried to purchase one from them but they returned my purchase. They don't post to Ireland or NI apparently. Is there anywhere to purchase them over here?

Try get it shipped with Parcel Motel / Parcel Wizard ? Uses a Northern Ireland address and then to your location in the south.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

GBX wrote:
    Try get it shipped with Parcel Motel / Parcel Wizard ? Uses a Northern Ireland address and then to your location in the south.

Lol, he said they don't ship to Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

tedpan wrote: »
    Lol, he said they don't ship to Northern Ireland

I just glanced at the post .. :pac: ... Oops. Yeah .. maybe not.

Just had a quick search. A lot of info in this thread. Might give you alternatives if you cant source an Almax

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055909522

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use An Post's Addresspal service, it has an address in St Albans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

tonytoc11 wrote: »

I emailed them and they actually rang back with a quote for shipping to Ireland. But that was a few years back. You couldn't order directly from the site, it definitely involved an email or 2 to sort it.

It's actually the Parcelmotel address that's the issue. They won't post to a Parcelmotel but they will to a personal address. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Almax are grand if you ring them, happy to ship to ireland, it's just their online system doesn't have the ability to charge the right amount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

God help you when you ring Almax. Man, he can talk and talk and talk ..... he's somewhat passionate about bikes and chains. :D

But, yeah, you have to phone to get it shipped to Ireland. No issues getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Same here. Phoned for Ireland shipping. He can talk for a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

They do deliver over here but my god he can talk
    Great company to deal with tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Pragmasis chains are similar, and bolt cutter proof.
    They also have some good ground anchors and a thing called an "anti pinch pin" that allows you to lock the chain to the frame of the bike.

There's a stockist in NI selling these for ROI but I found it cheaper to get it shipped from the UK.

http://securityforbikes.com/security-chains.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Id put the bike in the lift and take it up to my apartment :)

Id put the bike in the lift and take it up to my apartment :)
    I live up a flight of stairs unfortunately:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

get a trials bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Reindeer wrote: »
    This - chain it to something very solid. A high quality, thick chain, takes nearly a minute to cut through with a grinder if they know what they are doing(it takes two cuts), and it is VERY loud in an underground car park. And it will deter joy riders and lesser thieves.

But it won't deter a portable oxy-acetylene, the tool of choice used for one of a number of stolen bikes of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

get a tracker....a friend had two bikes nicked but was able to alert the Gardaí and they tracked the thieves to a West Dublin area and there was an attempt at ramming the cop car, which only made the cops more determined and both bikes were recovered, along with other stolen gear and a conviction was got.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    get a tracker....a friend had two bikes nicked but was able to alert the Gardaí and they tracked the thieves to a West Dublin area and there was an attempt at ramming the cop car, which only made the cops more determined and both bikes were recovered, along with other stolen gear and a conviction was got.

What type of tracker has he?

Advertisement