Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some C**ts tried to rob my bike

Options
  • 07-09-2017 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

I'm living in Dublin. Haven't driven my bike in the last week.

Went downstairs to the secure underground car park. You need a fob to get in to it. Found it in the condition below. They cut the wiring loom and tried to hotwire it. I'm disgusted. Only bought it a month ago. My previous bike was parked there for a year with no issues.

What's the procedure for fixing it? It's a 2006 GSXR 600.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did they cut the wires only or also break the barrel of the lock and or the steering lock?

if they cut wires only it I would guess it can be fixed by splicing them back together... by someone with a gas soldering iron and some time

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

Ya they just cut the wires

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

This really worries me, I live in a building like yours with an underground car park and fob access and all. I plan on buying a bike soon and leaving it down there but seeing this happen makes me very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

That's crap man.

Should be a cheap enough fix though, as said above just join the wires back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Is there an observation camera there?

Can you get it mended by a proper mechanic and give the bill to the management company? Might make them think again about their security arrangements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Are the any cctv in the carpark or a security guard present. There has been alot of incidents in dublin were scumbags gain access to underground car parks and rob peoples bicycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

TBH I'd be very concerned leaving a good bike in an apt block car park unless it's supervised. I'm lucky I have a tiny garage but it keeps scum away. Nothing special in it but they'll take anything on two wheels these days. Sorry for your troubles OP and hope u get sorted. Don't do a cheap fix on it and get it repaired right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

At least the didn't get it OP, and if they just cut the wires they hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

A good thick heavy high quality chain is usually the best deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a tracker fitted. That's a pretty poor attempt at robbing though to be fair they didn't even take the chain off the wheel.
    Wheels are easy to remove as well so try and lock through frame and keep the chain off the ground so its harder to get leverage with a cutter.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Get a tracker fitted. That's a pretty poor attempt at robbing though to be fair they didn't even take the chain off the wheel.
    Wheels are easy to remove as well so try and lock through frame and keep the chain off the ground so its harder to get leverage with a cutter.

What's a good tracker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

grahambo wrote: »
    At least the didn't get it OP, and if they just cut the wires they hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

A good thick heavy high quality chain is usually the best deterrent.

This - chain it to something very solid. A high quality, thick chain, takes nearly a minute to cut through with a grinder if they know what they are doing(it takes two cuts), and it is VERY loud in an underground car park. And it will deter joy riders and lesser thieves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Chuchote wrote: »
    Is there an observation camera there?

Can you get it mended by a proper mechanic and give the bill to the management company? Might make them think again about their security arrangements.

Not the fault nor responsibility of a management company. No place is ever 100% secure, and a management company is never liable for items stolen/damaged from a carpark. That's what your own insurance is for - car, bike, etc.

A horrible thing to hear about, and hope you get it properly sorted. Pure scumbags who do this. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hey, your chain doesn't look to great, invest in an almax chain. Expensive, but if you have one there's a better chance to deter scummers
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Pretty much impossible to cut with a bolt cutters which will deter most people.

Ya there's a camera directly above the bike. Rang the management company but they'll only check the footage at the request of the guards. The guards are due to call them today. It's going to the mechanic on Monday. Hopefully just a case of repairing the wires.

My VRT is now overdue as I missed it last night and Liberty are saying they'll cancel my policy if they don't get an Irish reg no. from me in the next week...brilliant.

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Ya there's a camera directly above the bike. Rang the management company but they'll only check the footage at the request of the guards. The guards are due to call them today. It's going to the mechanic on Monday. Hopefully just a case of repairing the wires.

My VRT is now overdue as I missed it last night and Liberty are saying they'll cancel my policy if they don't get an Irish reg no. from me in the next week...brilliant.

Find out the name of the boss of the management company, send him/her a registered, personnally addressed by name and title letter (with the letter containing the information that this is being sent registered to this person) requesting that the CCTV be burned to DVD and held for the Gardaí. Worked for me in similar-ish circumstances.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Do you think the northern reg was a reason? My dad's car was robbed the first week he moved here on UK plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Find out the name of the boss of the management company, send him/her a registered, personnally addressed by name and title letter (with the letter containing the information that this is being sent registered to this person) requesting that the CCTV be burned to DVD and held for the Gardaí. Worked for me in similar-ish circumstances.
    My mate did the same after his bike was taken and they didn't even look at the dvd!

Sometimes (very seldom) the Gardai will request the CCTV footage. Insurance company just want the Garda Pulse number for the insurance claim.

More often than not, the Gardai have already a good idea who is doing these things. Bringing a prosecution doesn't happen too often, not for an attempted theft anyway.

Fix your bike, get better security for the bike (better chain?), and move on with life ... or find somewhere better/safer to park it. :(

Paulw wrote: »
    More often than not, the Gardai have already a good idea who is doing these things.

So they say. But if they really did there wouldn't be any thefts, would there?

So they say. But if they really did there wouldn't be any thefts, would there?

There's a big difference between knowing and proving in a court of law and getting the conviction. :cool:

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    There's a big difference between knowing and proving in a court of law and getting the conviction. :cool:

There's a big difference between saying you know and knowing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

My worry is that they got disturbed that why they did not get it and be back again to finish the job....really terrible finding your bike like that. Hope you get it sorted mate, best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Hi There,

sorry to hear that, just read this , I'm a technician. Looks like you just need to get a soldering iron, flux and solder and some heat shrink and should be fine if you can get someone to do it, insulation tape to keep the water out...Shoulden't take more than 20 minutes tops ....

Agree with above but I would use self amalgamating tape instead of insulation tape.

Has anyone thought of installing their own tiny recording webcam in areas like this?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    My worry is that they got disturbed that why they did not get it and be back again to finish the job....really terrible finding your bike like that. Hope you get it sorted mate, best of luck.

The same thought came to my mind. I'm going to upgrade the chain and lock for starters anyway.

gctest50 wrote: »
    DO NOT DO THIS !!!!!!111!!

When that repair fails ( and it will ) , sudden loss of power in corner = messy death

It's been butchered in the worst place ( in the middle - where it needs to bend the most )

What kind of repair do you recommend?

It's going to the mechanic on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he probably means rather than reattaching the wires to run fresh wires. Requires more work but it would be more dependable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

gctest50 wrote: »
    DO NOT DO THIS !!!!!!111!!

When that repair fails ( and it will ) , sudden loss of power in corner = messy death

It's been butchered in the worst place ( in the middle - where it needs to bend the most )

I love these guys who condemn every solution offered to a problem but never put a solution of their own forward. Obviously the solution put forward by raspberryi67 even though he did'nt mention it included lengthening the existing wires as they will clearly need to be cut back to the insulation resulting in 5 or more cms short. Taking gctest50' s advise would need a new wiring loom. Good luck with that fix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This crash ( and a few more ) was caused by the ignition cutting off :

p0yF7Lx.jpg

Riva10 wrote: »
    I love these guys who condemn every solution offered to a problem but never put a solution of their own forward. Obviously the solution put forward by raspberryi67 even though he did'nt mention it included lengthening the existing wires as they will clearly need to be cut back to the insulation resulting in 5 or more cms short.

Please specify the exact types of :

solder
    heatshrink
    wire
    tape

then paste in the method you recommend step-by-step

then paste in your name and address in case there is an accident like in the picture so when boards.ie gets sued stupid, they can pass the bill on to you

Riva10 wrote: »

Taking gctest50' s advise would need a new wiring loom.

No, you wouldn't "need a new wiring loom"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry to heat it OP. I had similar years ago but they tore everything out and it cost almost 1k to fix. As said only deterrent is a big fat lock. In saying that, I was about to buy a bike a few months ago and it was stolen the night before I was supposed to buy it. That had a really big thick chain, and a U-lock on it, they got away without anyone seeing them. The more deterrents the better - disc lock, tracker etc.

Advertisement