Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching our children in schools that the fairies will take care of them, wtf?

Options
  • 06-09-2017 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

In the last few days there's a video on facebook from the Fairy Door Company featuring Irish school principals talking about how great use of the Fairy Worry Plaque is in schools. Over 5000 people have commented in the hope of winning a plaque for their school. Among them I see many of my friends whose kids are in Educate Together schools who purposefully did not want their kids receiving a religious education but are willing to fill their heads with this nonsense.

Here's a video of what a Fairy Worry Plaque is https://youtu.be/1BLxwNlh708

Here's the video of Irish school principals waxing lyrical about how great they are : https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishFairyDoorCompany/videos/670991263103207/

A Worry Plaque is a piece of plastic rubbish a child places their hand on and sends their worries to the fairies to take care of. A light flashes to indicate that the fairies have received your problem and are now taking care of it.
    Sound familiar at all ??(...minus the flashing light which a prayer rarely produces!).

My friend who is a teacher has told me most teachers in her school are using the plaque and finding them brilliant for young kids with anxieties in school who all mostly have a Fairy Door at home and do now believe in fairies anyway. I asked a few friends with small kids and they do indeed seem to be big fans of fairy doors and talking to their kids about fairies.

Is it me or is worrying that Irish school principals are advocating use of use such a concept ? And that grown adults are feeding their kids this utter nonsense?
    Would we not be so much better off trying to relate to our children in a way they could talk to us and not pieces of plastic or statues or tiny wooden doors? How has this evolution of the fairy even happened in our present culture?
    So what do you think boards? If you have kids are you ok with Fairy Plaques?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

LightlyGo wrote: »
    So what do you think boards? If you have kids are you ok with Fairy Plagues?

Absolutely, let them all die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Boards is gay friendly dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

In the last few days there's a video on facebook from the Fairy Door Company featuring Irish school principals talking about how great use of the Fairy Worry Plaque is in schools. Over 5000 people have commented in the hope of winning a plaque for their school. Among them I see many of my friends whose kids are in Educate Together schools who purposefully did not want their kids receiving a religious education but are willing to fill their heads with this nonsense.

Here's the video of Irish school principals waxing lyrical about how great they are : https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishFairyDoorCompany/videos/670991263103207/

A Worry Plaque is a piece of plastic rubbish a child places their hand on and sends their worries to the fairies to take care of. A light flashes to indicate that the fairies have received your problem and are now taking care of it.
    Sound familiar at all ??(...minus the flashing light which a prayer rarely produces!).

My friend who is a teacher has told me most teachers in her school are using the plaque and finding them brilliant for young kids with anxieties in school who all mostly have a Fairy Door at home and do now believe in fairies anyway. I asked a few friends with small kids and they do indeed seem to be big fans of fairy doors and talking to their kids about fairies.

Is it me or is worrying that Irish school principals are advocating use of use such a concept ? And that grown adults are feeding their kids this utter nonsense?
    Would we not be so much better off trying to relate to our children in a way they could talk to us and not pieces of plastic or statues or tiny wooden doors? How has this evolution of the fairy even happened in our present culture?
    So what do you think boards? If you have kids are you ok with Fairy Plagues?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_Gab%C3%A1la_%C3%89renn Just saying Irish people have forgotten their history. Tuatha de Danann mostly like were the fairies they were here before the Celts.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LightlyGo

accensi0n wrote: »
    Absolutely, let them all die off.

Haha, fixed it. That did make me laugh though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The only issue I have is that I didn't think of it first.
    Epic business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I wouldn't be too worried about a faerie plague (don't think they carry diseases?) ;)

Fostering/ encouraging imagination is a good idea -

Edit to add: not quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This is in primary schools yeah?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebor_Gab%C3%A1la_%C3%89renn Just saying Irish people have forgotten their history. Tuatha de Danann mostly like were the fairies they were here before the Celts.

I know and I appreciate that. However learning about your cultural history and what people believed in times gone by is very different than actually regressing back beyond all sane logic and believing it yourself and teaching children to believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nothing wrong with it. People for centuries have been using all sorts of methods for such things and if it makes things easier for kids let them at it.

You'll be wanting Teddy bears and other such comforters along with pets banned next as they perform the same function.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm fine with it. It's not like they'll believe it when they grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fecking pagans and their superstitious culture ;)

It seems some people just want to yell "your all gonna die" at small children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Some people have little to bother them

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's a nice thing for kids to believe in they grow out of it in about 3rd class. It's a fun class activity writing notes to fairly and getting the kids to use their imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jaysus the principal in the video is a complete ride

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it. People for centuries have been using all sorts of methods for such things and if it makes things easier for kids let them at it.

You'll be wanting Teddy bears and other such comforters along with pets banned next as they perform the same function.
    Grayson wrote: »
    I'm fine with it. It's not like they'll believe it when they grow up.

Would you fine with religion being taught to children in the hope of providing them with the same sort of temporary childish comfort?

I just feel like if we have moved beyond teaching religion for those reasons shouldn't we have set our sights higher than teaching our kids to relate to imaginary beings? Shouldn't we be evolving past this ? Shouldn't we be learning to relate to them ourselves and teaching them to talk to us about worries?

Would you fine with religion being taught to children in the hope of providing them with the same sort of temporary childish comfort?

WTF, "childish comfort"?!? They are bloody children.

I know and I appreciate that. However learning about your cultural history and what people believed in times gone by is very different than actually regressing back beyond all sane logic and believing it yourself and teaching children to believe it.

Our folklore is unique i hate to think we lose it. And don't see the harm in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In my day the teachers beat you around the place for sport and you were glad of it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    WTF, "childish comfort"?!? They are bloody children.

But would you feel we should teach them prayers because Mary and the angels will take care of your worry if you say them? Isn't that how you relate to religion as a child? That's what I mean by childish comfort.

In my day the teachers beat you around the place for sport and you were glad of it.

I went to a school that had missionaries as teachers and those guys would kick the s--t out of you if got into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

But would you feel we should teach them prayers because Mary and the angels will take care of your worry if you say them? Isn't that how you relate to religion as a child? That's what I mean by childish comfort.

These same kids believe in Santa.

Shocked it took 2 pages for the atheist god ****e to come out.

/also an atheist just not one of the dickhead ones.

Childhood must be a barrel of laughs in your house. **** off kids, there's no tooth fairy, Santa or Easter bunny, and bollox to your birthday too, Hallmark are rich enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's a bit of fantasy. Feck off and leave them alone. You'll be telling three-year-olds Santa's not real next.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Our folklore is unique i hate to think we lose it. And don't see the harm in it.

Yes, but let's not pass the book of invasions of as real events. The tuatha de danann are more or less the celtic gods with the Fomor being the baddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Its the same concept as going to confession, tell all your sins and say a bunch of hail mary's and your slate is wiped clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There's a difference between teaching a religious ethos (which those who teach it believe is real) and a mythological fantasy (which those who teach it, know is fantasy).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mmmm germs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Tuatha de Danann is not history but come sfrom irish mythology.
    Probably rooted in peoples that migrated here in mid to late bronze age.
    "Celts coming to Ireland" is not really history these days either. In the iron age we were influenced through trade, migration and culture by the peoples of northern europe - and that influence left what was afterward referred to as celtic invasion.

Where's Wibbs when you need him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Fairies were not only seen, but photographed a hundred years ago in Cottingley in the UK, so, unless you want homeless fairies everywhere they need accommodation. Give them their doors ffs.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

"Children know such a lot now. Soon they don't believe. And every time a child says 'I don't believe in fairies', there's a fairy someplace that falls down dead". — Peter Pan
    1. It's a great idea to make kids feel more secure in themselves.
    2. It's a great business extension.
    3. I'd rather they had this influence than religion
    4. The principle is a ride.

Advertisement