Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is flying an enjoyable experience any more?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Why do airports still assume everyone who flies wants the most expensive shops or cafes in the world ( Harrods in LHR for example )

Grrr getting hot under the collar just typing this ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Totally agree there I am flying via LGW this week and I rember there used to be cheap options to eat in both LHR and LGW. Gatwick used to have a Mc Donald's and KFC. Heathrow used to have burger king and a few other cheap options not any more both have over the top and expensive food. Heathrow used to also have a fairly decent priced duty free again not any more.

The new Ryanair rule on carry on I get but for someone like me who used to work at the airport I have everything I need ready before I even get to security and the plane. I am thinking if I need to go to England Ill just take the ferry.

I also agree on the liquid rule totally could be got rid of, its only in place so people have to buy drinks after security so the airport can make more off people.

I seen in the states the US Government seems to be having enough of airlines reducing the size of seats and is now going to force minimum seat with and pitch on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Heathrow used to have burger king and a few other cheap options not any more both have over the top and expensive food.

You've just reminded me of my last experience at Heathrow T2. The credit card machine at Yo Sushi presented me with a choice of different percentages for my tip, with no option for nothing. Under normal circumstances I give 10%, but in this case I was so outraged that I asked them to override it and gave them SFA.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

Had a similar experience in Gatwick recently but I was paying by cash. I was very taken aback by how forward it was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

john boye wrote: »
    Had a similar experience in Gatwick recently but I was paying by cash. I was very taken aback by how forward it was.
    America here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Was it ever? Personally can't wait to fly QF PER-LHR or NZ talking about AKL-EWR/JFK direct, now that'll be fun....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

selous wrote: »
    I was on a 4.5 hour flight this week and from beginning to end babies were screaming, I've never been on a flight that had so many babies on it, one lovely parent at the front with a screaming one walked up and down the length of the plane to rock her baby asleep, but in the process woke the ones at the back, plane made Dublin in 4 hours,(12.10am) 30mins quicker than it should have, one of the worse flights I've been on, there was a lot of gnarly people got off the plane,

Bose sound cancelling earphones, best purchase I've ever made in terms of travel. Makes flying much easier and enjoyable IME.
    selous wrote: »
    Re-Munchkin.

I never have had a problem with them, there were loads of kids on board too, but these were babies, all under 1, (at a guess, as they were wrapped up on the mother/father) Just saying I've never been on a plane with such a high number of Babies on board and all screaming from take off to landing,
    Putting it down to the route I was on,:cool:

Some routes are just fancy bus routes. Routes to the likes of Poland can be like this, mostly immigrants living here heading back and forward to visit family, etc.
    eeguy wrote: »
    American airports are actually grand since the preclearance is done in Dublin. You land at the domestic terminal and walk right out the door. It's more like a bus station than an airport as passengers are mixed.

Yup, I really like SFO, the staff their are extremely friendly and relaxed. But then their the airports own security rather then those TSA folks.
    gctest50 wrote: »
    dLsZKP5.jpg.

Rose tinted glasses.

I watched an interesting youtube video about exactly this topic. They showed that the cost of a standard class ticket in the 1950's, adjusted for inflation, is the same as a first class ticket today!

So as long as you are willing to pay for first class, you can absolutely get the same type of experience. In fact first class and even business class are far superior today then they were in the 60's. Think of first class suites on Emirates or even think of the full lie flat seats, noise cancelling headphones, wifi and VOD of business class.

Economy class simply didn't exist back in the 50's. People with less money simply couldn't fly. Really we are living in the golden era of flying now.

Though I do agree that the airport experience is much worse today with parking, security, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Blut2

bk wrote: »
    /snip for brevity

Yup, I totally agree with that. The in-flight experience is continually getting better - food quality, entertainment etc at any given price point. People in general compare historical flying to economy, when business class is the far more financially valid comparison.

The continual degradation of the airport experience is the bigger problem. Its getting more unpleasant, and lengthier time-wise, each decade. The morphing into security malls is probably unavoidable at this point due to the need to minimize landing fees for carriers, but sooner or later the security theatre process really needs to be re-assessed logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Blut2 wrote: »
    Yup, I totally agree with that. The in-flight experience is continually getting better - food quality, entertainment etc at any given price point. People in general compare historical flying to economy, when business class is the far more financially valid comparison.

The continual degradation of the airport experience is the bigger problem. Its getting more unpleasant, and lengthier time-wise, each decade. The morphing into security malls is probably unavoidable at this point due to the need to minimize landing fees for carriers, but sooner or later the security theatre process really needs to be re-assessed logically.

I am an airport's worst nightmare. The only thing I buy is an honesty bottle of water for a euro.

I just do not know how any of the shops besides Boots and the bookshops/cafes make any money. But people have time to kill I suppose since they are terrified of missing their flight, and then realise they have two more hours to go and all that.

I ignore them all. Sorry I am not a skinflint either, I just hate that stuff. If I wanted to buy any of it I could buy it back home and have it delivered to my door.

Occasionally I'll have a breakfast in one or other of the places if I have time to kill, that's good for me, it is keeping me sane and alive.

The rest of it is bullocks. But each to their own.

No wonder we are advised to arrive three hours before a flight!

Blut2 wrote: »

I am an airport's worst nightmare. The only thing I buy is an honesty bottle of water for a euro.

I just do not know how any of the shops besides Boots and the bookshops/cafes make any money. But people have time to kill I suppose since they are terrified of missing their flight, and then realise they have two more hours to go and all that.

I ignore them all. Sorry I am not a skinflint either, I just hate that stuff. If I wanted to buy any of it I could buy it back home and have it delivered to my door.

Occasionally I'll have a breakfast in one or other of the places if I have time to kill, that's good for me, it is keeping me sane and alive.

The rest of it is bullocks. But each to their own.

No wonder we are advised to arrive three hours before a flight!

See I never understand this attitude, I notice a similar sort of "silly fools" judgement from members of my family about Ryanair selling things on their flights. (And just to set the record I hate their pushy sales approach) I've got the impression sometimes that certain friends and relations are annoyed at the fact that some people purchase things on flights, as if they are doing the rest of us a disservice by being so foolish as to waste their money on the Ryanair cart. These of course are they same snobs who will only book the bargain basket fares and add no extras. And I can't help but think, don't they realise that those who pay for all the extras, bags, seats, priority whatever.. , and buy the meal deals and J2o, and travel charger, they are the ones creating profit for the airline. They are in fact subsidising the low fares! If literally NOBODY bought anything extra other than the absolute bare min fare and bought absolutely nothing on board do you think airlines would offer flights for less than 50 quid? No hope! There's no profit from the loss leading fares airlines advertise.
    The same principle really applies to the airport shops. Airports need income , ,airlines refuse to pay higher fees and this is how airports make money, designer shops and restaurants! If they didn't exist airport fees would be higher and thus ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Locker10a wrote: »
    See I never understand this attitude, I notice a similar sort of "silly fools" judgement from members of my family about Ryanair selling things on their flights. (And just to set the record I hate their pushy sales approach) I've got the impression sometimes that certain friends and relations are annoyed at the fact that some people purchase things on flights, as if they are doing the rest of us a disservice by being so foolish as to waste their money on the Ryanair cart. These of course are they same snobs who will only book the bargain basket fares and add no extras. And I can't help but think, don't they realise that those who pay for all the extras, bags, seats, priority whatever.. , and buy the meal deals and J2o, and travel charger, they are the ones creating profit for the airline. They are in fact subsidising the low fares! If literally NOBODY bought anything extra other than the absolute bare min fare and bought absolutely nothing on board do you think airlines would offer flights for less than 50 quid? No hope! There's no profit from the loss leading fares airlines advertise.
    The same principle really applies to the airport shops. Airports need income , ,airlines refuse to pay higher fees and this is how airports make money, designer shops and restaurants! If they didn't exist airport fees would be higher and thus ticket prices.

I dont think its exactly fair to brand somewhere a snob because they choose the most cost effective way of getting from A to B.

If I happen to be sitting beside someone who pays €3 for hot water and a tea bag, I definitely dont feel like I need to appreciate that they have paid substantially over the odds because somehow in the bigger picture it means I can avail of a hypothetically cheap flight.

Selling overpriced goods on board is not what makes an airline profitable, I'd wager it is a tiny consideration, compared to the likes of checked baggage costs. The likes of Ryanair will skimp and haggle with absolutely everything in their business model with the exception of safety, only because the are obliged to comply and aircraft accidents are generally bad for business.

Like Spanish Eyes, I am quite happy to travel from A to B and spend nothing except for the flight. I'm definitely not going to spend for the sake of it because of the notion that I am somehow contributing to 'subsidising' the cost of not only my own ticket, but everyone elses aswell.

• Advertisement

Negative_G wrote: »

I dont think its exactly fair to brand somewhere a snob because they choose the most cost effective way of getting from A to B.

If I happen to be sitting beside someone who pays €3 for hot water and a tea bag, I definitely dont feel like I need to appreciate that they have paid substantially over the odds because somehow in the bigger picture it means I can avail of a hypothetically cheap flight.

Selling overpriced goods on board is not what makes an airline profitable, I'd wager it is a tiny consideration, compared to the likes of checked baggage costs. The likes of Ryanair will skimp and haggle with absolutely everything in their business model with the exception of safety, only because the are obliged to comply and aircraft accidents are generally bad for business.

Like Spanish Eyes, I am quite happy to travel from A to B and spend nothing except for the flight. I'm definitely not going to spend for the sake of it because of the notion that I am somehow contributing to 'subsidising' the cost of not only my own ticket, but everyone elses aswell.

To be clear I was only referring to my own family's snobby attitude here.
    In relation to profit from onboard sales, there's huge profit to be made, a previous airline I worked for bought bottles of water from the supplier for 3/4p a piece, they sold on board for €2.50. Another drink was supplied to the airline for free, under agreement it was advertised on a full page of the inflight magazine, again this drink was being sold for €2.50-€3.
    The point still remains, if Ryanair didn't sell any "extras" they'd have to increase ticket prices, how else would they make money?
    It's clear that in recent months they have indeed disguised new policies and procedures that encourage people to buy into seat selection, checked bags and priority boarding etc. As these revenues were falling. Without these ancillary revenues their margins get tight. They are key to their business plan

To be clear I was only referring to my own family's snobby attitude here.
    In relation to profit from onboard sales, there's huge profit to be made, a previous airline I worked for bought bottles of water from the supplier for 3/4p a piece, they sold on board for €2.50. Another drink was supplied to the airline for free, under agreement it was advertised on a full page of the inflight magazine, again this drink was being sold for €2.50-€3.
    The point still remains, if Ryanair didn't sell any "extras" they'd have to increase ticket prices, how else would they make money?
    It's clear that in recent months they have indeed disguised new policies and procedures that encourage people to buy into seat selection, checked bags and priority boarding etc. As these revenues were falling. Without these ancillary revenues their margins get tight. They are key to their business plan

I take your point.

Without the figures of what the ancillaries are actually worth and what it would do to basic air prices if ancillaries dropped drastically its hard to know for sure what affect it would have on air fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Negative_G wrote: »
    I take your point.

Without the figures of what the ancillaries are actually worth and what it would do to basic air prices if ancillaries dropped drastically its hard to know for sure what affect it would have on air fares.
    maybe google it, and click on the first link, and you'd see that Ryanair had 1.56 billion Euro of ancilliary income compared to 4.9billion "scheduled revenues".

Their operating expenses were a shade over 5billion, so that 1.5 billion of ancilliary income (less a bit of tax) is their profit

https://investor.ryanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Ryanair-Annual-Report-FY16.pdf

maybe google it, and click on the first link, and you'd see that Ryanair had 1.56 billion Euro of ancilliary income compared to 4.9billion "scheduled revenues".

Their operating expenses were a shade over 5billion, so that 1.5 billion of ancilliary income (less a bit of tax) is their profit

https://investor.ryanair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Ryanair-Annual-Report-FY16.pdf

Thanks for your extremely helpful suggestion.

Advertisement