Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is flying an enjoyable experience any more?

Options
  • 06-09-2017 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Well?

I know that I love the actual flying bit, but the period between arriving at the airport and taking off is just becoming a real turn off.

The security check is still a big bugbear of mine. No common rules.
    Bag in tray NO! bag on conveyor!
    No!!! Bag in tray.
    Allowed liquids in plastic bag NO!! Must be in OUR plastic bag.
    Get tray from collection point NO PUT BACK TRAY!
    Go through metal screening . No ding. Good.
    STOP. PUT OUT HAND. NOT LIKE THAT! Swab. OK.

Hurry up Hurry up. Wait wait.

Priority boarding.? Get to stand longer in airbridge at head of queue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You're not doing it right.

Empty your pockets into your coat. Coat on conveyor. Throw your belt on top and away you go. Have your liquids in a separate pocket so you can throw them into a bag.
    Don't pay for priority. Be the last guy on the plane. Sure you have your seat booked.

Book a seat up the top so you're first off and don't have to queue at customs.
    I have this down to a fine art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

eeguy wrote: »

I love your sense of humour. You just know what is comimg your next flight :)
    Ladies and Gentlemen we shall be exiting from the rear...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Long since came to the conclusion that airports are a parallel universe, they exist in their own version of reality.
    Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm an advocate for a 'Do you know what you are doing line' in security. Seriously. If you know what you are at i.e. A frequent flyer, you should have a separate queue. If you don't fly very often, no hassle, another for you to take as much time as you need. I don't mean that in a demeaning way, I feel it would take the pressure off some people who genuinely freak out about it.

However, I never understood how people still don't get the liquid thing. Its been what, the bones of 20 years? And the fact you can start putting your belt, phone, wallet etc into your bag in the queue. You don't have to wait until you get to the top??

I usually try wear something with a zip pocket. Phone, Wallet and Passport go in once I start queuing. Leave your plane ticket in your back pocket in case you're in an airport that scans them. Liquids in a plastic bag. Dump on the tray and go. My only time is taking two laptops out and an iPad, so 4 trays, but I'm still super quick.

Done right, you can be through security in 10 mins flat in any airport at any time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

I still love flying, i usually fly to Sakhalin with Aer lingus, KLM and Aeroflot. we swapped over to BA/Korean and Asiana for a while but it was too expensive. Anyway Aer lingus was by far the worst. After traveling home for 23 hours solid i dread getting on the EI flight in Amsterdam, i just feel like I'm being shoed onto the Aircraft and constantly being hurried to my seat. And at that they are very loud on the PA also to really drive it home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm an advocate for a 'Do you know what you are doing line' in security. Seriously. If you know what you are at i.e. A frequent flyer, you should have a separate queue. If you don't fly very often, no hassle, another for you to take as much time as you need. I don't mean that in a demeaning way, I feel it would take the pressure off some people who genuinely freak out about it.

However, I never understood how people still don't get the liquid thing. Its been what, the bones of 20 years? And the fact you can start putting your belt, phone, wallet etc into your bag in the queue. You don't have to wait until you get to the top??

I usually try wear something with a zip pocket. Phone, Wallet and Passport go in once I start queuing. Leave your plane ticket in your back pocket in case you're in an airport that scans them. Liquids in a plastic bag. Dump on the tray and go. My only time is taking two laptops out and an iPad, so 4 trays, but I'm still super quick.

Done right, you can be through security in 10 mins flat in any airport at any time of day.

Here, four trays, either bring less stuff or off to the slow peoples queue :D

Four trays, but I'm still super quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I have the opposite experience. I love the airport part hate the flying, strange one really as this has only come on me in the last 3 years. Ive been up flying with my Dad in Cesnas since I was 6 and on airlines since I was a toddler, I never had a fear of flying and suddenly it hit me on a flight to Warsaw for a stag a few years back. I must say there is no better feeling that arriving at an airport, getting checked in, a bite to eat, airport pint...then the **** kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I have never thought flying was an enjoyable experience. It takes far to much time from arriving at the airport to taking off and this has always been the case.

It has only been made worse by the liquid/laptop requirements at security.

I used to be the person to check my bags and just go through security with a jacket, phone, wallet and keys. Simple and easy. However now because almost all airlines charges a lot extra for checked baggage i need to carry my hand luggage and try and fit all my stuff into the stupidly small cabin baggage sizes.

However was really wrecks my head is the walk from security through the weaving corridor of "duty free" shopping. Ill happily walk through quickly and get to the pub, but when traveling with my wife she gets drawn in by the bull**** and i need to stand there and watch her look through makeup, perfume etc. Whats worse is she never buys anything. A quick google shows that almost nothing in duty free is good value.

When traveling alone its generally relaxing enough for me. Just go through security, find a corner in the pub with a pint and news paper and wait until almost everyone else has boarded then get up and walk onto the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

However, I never understood how people still don't get the liquid thing. Its been what, the bones of 20 years?

Its only been 10 years. But ya i get it. Its mostly a womens problem with liquid makeup. A mans liquid bag usually contains toothpaste and cologne.

Its a pointless rule anyway. The rule was brought in because some terrorists were planning to brew their own bomb on board with different liquid chemicals.
    Thats far too complicated.

If terrorism was such a big threat then planes would be going down every day, or terrorists are simply too stupid.

If liquid was really a problem then why can i bring a lighter on board and buy a few litres of 40%+ alcohol in duty free. Seriously if one or more people was to bring this on board smash and light the whole bottles!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

As an aviation professional, on my leave I try to avoid airports like the plague and would sooner enjoy a pint of plain in west cork or the wilds of the west or Donegal and enjoy what our beautiful country and people have to offer. I also would sooner drive to the wilds of Scotland...... airports and queues just drain me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Its the hanging around that drives me crazy! And the 'take your shoes off' today and not the next time or this queue needs shoes off but not the other one!

As for the liquid thing! A woman a couple of weeks ago came through with a bottle of Baileys! Guy obviously took it off her. If she was a new flyer fair enough but she was American - she had to get into the country so she obviously had come through security before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Don't particularly mind the airport. Yes security can be different in different airports especially about shoes but I just look at the people a few ahead and see if they're taking shoes off or not.

I take my belt off in the queue, throw everything into my bag and take out laptop/kindle. Put laptop and kindle into a bin everything else in my bag and walk through.

You do come across staff on a power trip confiscating a standard razor - the same ones you can buy past security in boots. I just gave it up and ignored him. Let him have his victory.

I'm always one of the last ones on the plane and if I get a free check in bag I will take onboard as little as possible. Don't want to be lugging it around the airport. At the airport while queuing if I don't have lounge I'll find a seat somewhere listen to a podcast or read a book and switch off.

I wouldn't say I enjoy the experience but I don't find it that stressful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

You're not doing it right.

Empty your pockets into your coat. Coat on conveyor. Throw your belt on top and away you go. Have your liquids in a separate pocket so you can throw them into a bag.
    Don't pay for priority. Be the last guy on the plane. Sure you have your seat booked.

I do the same but would add fast track security if I happen to travel during the busy early hours. I can then arrive 30-45 minutes before the flight and still have time for a coffee

I see taking a plane a lot as taking a bus now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I've started to leave less time between front door of airplane and departure. One of the last times I've left 75 mins which included 5 mins from car, 23 mins in security, 15 mins for food. I then walked straight to the gate from T2 to pier 3 and boarding was just starting.

Yes security should have a special lane where you get pre approved to use it by the DAA or whoever as you've proved you can follow the rules. I stand there ready to rock with just passport and boarding pass in pocket and walk straight through bar the odd random pat down. I absolutely hate watching idiots who probably fly as much or more than me still needing to be told to take off their watch/necklace/bangle/bracelet etc etc. It's like they wait to let the security staff tell them what to do. I could be through in less than 60 secs but no I have to wait 23 mins while morons get their hand held.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

It sometimes seems to me that there is a concerted effort to infantalise people.

Thus zombified people can be led anywhere and buy anything.

I mean who in their right frame of mind would buy a 100 euro ticket for a draw to win the shiny sports car taking up space in T2. Zombies would.

Zombies stand at the check in desk for an hour to be head of the queue when boarding.

Zombies run their oversized wheelie trollies over your heels in WH Smith.

Then there's the scam with the boarding card. No. you do not need my boarding card if I'm buying the Irish Times.It's a VAT fraud that you're getting away with.

And as Jeremy Clarkson once said, no aircraft ever anywhere in the world ever departs from gate one.

I can't say I mind it, arrive with plenty of time etc to take stress out of it.

I'd not wear shoes or boots that are a pain to take on/off. Usually travel in a tracksuit so no belt etc. One of the few times I'd wear a tracksuit tbh.
    ............ Dump on the tray .....................

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

I have never had the pleasure of traveling in business class but economy on any airline is far from enjoyable.

I'd echo what others say about various airports. People who wait until they have their tray on the belt for security to before deciding to take off jewellery, take off the belt, take the phone out etc etc absolutely infuriate me. It is really not that hard to be prepared, I'd wager less than a minute would have you set.

Would agree with others that their should be a frequent traveller security line. I know there is fast track but one shouldn't have to pay more money because they are prudent.

I utilise lounges as much as I can if I have the time but generally find headphones are good for minimising stress.

Special mention to Ryanair for making he whole experience even less enjoyable. I was in an eastern European airport last year, the gate had two separate areas. One general area outside the gate which was separated from another internal area. I was following the inbound flight on FR24 when it was announced that it the flight was boarding. I left it until the last minute to go through the check in desk to the second area as there was a finite amount of seating and pretty much standing room only. I questioned the lady on the check in desk (politely) as to how they were boarding an aircraft that was at 13,000 feet still. To be fair, she was only working for swiss port so she is only doing what she is told but it was very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

On a positive note my company needed me to be in NYC on v short notice many many moons ago. Only way to get there was on Concorde ! Must be over 20years ago.....one of thee best days of my life. An incredible experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Here, four trays, either bring less stuff or off to the slow peoples queue :D

Four trays, but I'm still super quick...

I wish I could take less, but I need two for each laptop, one for the iPad and Battery occasionally, and the last one for my ruck sack. I love airports where the trays are large enough to take two of each. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Arrived at LGW 6mins before scheduled gate open time, at the gate in plenty of time. When you put your mind to it and make sensible clothing choices its not hard. Just avoid queues with anyone anywhere close to receiving a bus pass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The experience of flying can be enjoyable, but depends on the airline and airport.
    For example I detest this "pre-boarding" that some airlines do. Ryanair and EasyJet are the worst offenders here. They board you into a stairwell, enclosure or airbridge when the aircraft is pulling onto stand and you wait for 15 mins standing there like cattle waiting to be sold at the mart, I detest this experience.
    But I do enjoy flying, for example I find it a pleasure to fly through Heathrow T2. In my personal experience this is one of the best terminals to fly through. I've also never experienced the "pre-boarding" from there on Aer lingus or Lufthansa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

You gets what you pays for. Most of the time. The job I do allows me (and I realise how lucky I am) to travel the world business class. Most of the time it's a pleasure. But things do go wrong from time to time.

Personally I always travel economy from my own wallet and it's like night and day. One benefit of having a decent frequent flier card is using fast track and lounges etc. Takes some of the sting away. However if you yearn after the halcyon days of air travel, you can still get it. You just need to stump up for it.

Locker10a wrote: »
    The experience of flying can be enjoyable, but depends on the airline and airport.
    For example I detest this "pre-boarding" that some airlines do. Ryanair and EasyJet are the worst offenders here. They board you into a stairwell, enclosure or airbridge when the aircraft is pulling onto stand and you wait for 15 mins standing there like cattle waiting to be sold at the mart, I detest this experience.
    But I do enjoy flying, for example I find it a pleasure to fly through Heathrow T2. In my personal experience this is one of the best terminals to fly through. I've also never experienced the "pre-boarding" from there on Aer lingus or Lufthansa.
    Hence why queueing up is redundant.

You don't get to your destination any faster by being on the plane. I went to London last month with Ryanair. They opened up boarding as usual but the plane arrived late, so people were queueing from the runway back up to the desk for 30 mins. I stayed in my seat and relaxed. They did the same with a flight from Krakow a few years back. People on the runway in the freezing cold for 20 minutes.

You can SEE that your plane isn't there. Why bother queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hence why queueing up is redundant.

You don't get to your destination any faster by being on the plane. I went to London last month with Ryanair. They opened up boarding as usual but the plane arrived late, so people were queueing from the runway back up to the desk for 30 mins. I stayed in my seat and relaxed. They did the same with a flight from Krakow a few years back. People on the runway in the freezing cold for 20 minutes.

You can SEE that your plane isn't there. Why bother queue?

I very much doubt anyone was standing anywhere near a "runway".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I hate it.

don't do it often now, but all the hassle of arriving early, hanging around, delays, queuing for check-in, bags lost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I travel in full uniform, in a lot of airports the security accepts that if I'm going to fly the aircraft then I should be trusted with my baggage, but in the UK we are treated like criminals, I can accept removing anything from my bag or my belt etc, but seriously when someone asks me to remove my metal pilot wings!
    I'm so glad that I don't fly there frequently and pity the guys who do.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I very much doubt anyone was standing anywhere near a "runway".

Well, the bit of tarmac out by the plane. Whatever that's called. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Well, the bit of tarmac out by the plane. Whatever that's called. :rolleyes:

Ramp or apron. It's usually made of concrete these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Is flying an enjoyable experience any more?
    Well?

dLsZKP5.jpg.

Advertisement