Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Harvey, then Irma and now a potentially destructive solar storm. We're doomed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bambi wrote: »
    Lord jesus, what's going to happen to all them off shore banks and tax havens in the caribbean?

Not much, if it was based on real coinage or gold standards inc. storage thereof, there would be some opportunities for deep sea divers.

Meanwhile Branson is currently in his cellar with about 500 bottles of fine wine, and likely a selection of personal assistants, hard times.

If you won the lotto, and are handy with removing plywood and dehumidifiers , now would be a good time to make an offer for an island or two.

Not saying anything to do with the Eclipse but....

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. (Rev. 6:12, 13)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not saying anything to do with the Eclipse but....

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. (Rev. 6:12, 13)

There was no blood moon.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its actually joint second with 4 others.

While yes its terrible and the follow up by jose is not good people need to calm down with this end of the world stuff there is no pattern yet to identify

Who said it was the end of the world? It looks like climate change to me?

There was no blood moon.....

Black moon, but might suffice as a substitute.

• Advertisement

Who said it was the end of the world? It looks like climate change to me?

I believe in climate change but again there is no evidence to support that these storms are caused by it.... YET!

Jumping to that conclusion with no basis to back it up just gives the deniers more ammunition cus they can point to 1928.

If we get 2-3 years of similar strengths and frequencies then thats a pattern emerging to base a theory of it being caused by climate change on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think its like some scientists have been saying since the 90s, by the time humanity realises how serious global warming and climate change are, it will be too late to do anything about it.

I believe in climate change but again there is no evidence to support that these storms are caused by it.... YET!

Jumping to that conclusion with no basis to back it up just gives the deniers more ammunition cus they can point to 1928.

If you listen to climate change people, they tell you flooding is one indicator of this change ( Texas!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Strongest in a decade? Oh well that's funny because the sun does that every 11 years. Didn't you know.

#killingitwithscience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Who wants to tell the lads climate change on earth has nothing to do with the Sun. What with space and sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

In all fairness, we are due a direct hit from a large solar flare at this stage. This will happen soon enough I feel. I think the new military satellites have shielding, but the older ones don't, so they can be destroyed, no cell-phone, no internet, the electrical grid not being shielded would go down, and the candle industry will profit bigly just like the cryptocurrency syscoin. And then a recession will hit, pushing us into a world of hell.

Without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for people to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside?

If you listen to climate change people, they tell you flooding is one indicator of this change ( Texas!)

And flooding has happened before, if it keeps happening in regular and closer intervals then you can say something has changed until then you are clutching at straws.

Again i believe in it but its impossible to say 100% this soon that they are caused by it.

People are saying the fires in the northwest US are climate change too, however fire is a natural part of nature, also one of the larger ones near portland was actually started by kids

And flooding has happened before, if it keeps happening in regular and closer intervals then you can say something has changed until then you are clutching at straws.

Again i believe in it but its impossible to say 100% this soon that they are caused by it.

People are saying the fires in the northwest US are climate change too, however fire is a natural part of nature, also one of the larger ones near portland was actually started by kids

I don't dispute anything you wrote. I open to all sides point of view. It silly though ( least i think it) we don't affect the climate even a little bit and this little bit could be enough to tip it over the edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

nullzero wrote: »
    Without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for people to crack each others heads open and feast on the good inside?

Latest news is that a CME was detected, whether it's headed towards earth or not they don't know yet. If it is, should hit early on Friday (just in time for Irma to hit the us..coincidence?) so if you wake up to no power, crack away!
    The orbiting Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, a joint project between NASA and the European Space Agency, later provided that answer when it picked up the coronal mass ejection from the event, although according to SpaceWeather.com NOAA analysts are still modeling its trajectory to see whether it is directed toward Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Meanwhile Branson is currently in his cellar with about 500 bottles of fine wine, and likely a selection of personal assistants, hard times.

Apparently everyone is ok but his home and most of the buildings on the island have been destroyed. I'm sure it was well insured though

Hurricane Jose is now a category 4 and will soon be a category 5. IRMA will be a category 5 when hits the lower part of Florida. More bad news another storm is brewing Tropical storm Lee in the Atlantic.

This is all exactly like the movie 2012, the great American eclipse followed by the evacuation of millions.
    How cold is it going to be up around 53.34oN when the Atlantic's gulf stream stops blowing?

Little bit of jest there, athough do expect 2012 repeats to be put back on the terrestrial TV boxes very shortly, think it was on somewhere last week.

Advertisement