Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Harvey, then Irma and now a potentially destructive solar storm. We're doomed!

Options
  • 06-09-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on another site. The sun has emitted some large solar flares, the largest of which could be directed towards earth potentially resulting in large power outages and technology failures.
    According to SWPC, the flares resulted in radio blackouts: high-frequency radio experienced a "wide area of blackouts, loss of contact for up to an hour over [the] sunlit side of Earth," and low frequency communication, used in navigation, was degraded for an hour.

"It was accompanied by radio emissions that suggest there's a potential for a CME," SWPC space scientist Rob Steenburgh told Space.com. "However, we have to wait until we get some coronagraph imagery that would capture that event for a definitive answer."

If aimed toward Earth, such an ejection could lead to even more spectacular auroras, but could also damage satellites, communications and power systems. That cloud of charged plasma would arrive within 1 to 3 or 4 days, Steenburgh said, although CMEs triggered by energetic flares generally come quickly.

https://www.space.com/38057-sun-unleashes-decades-strongest-solar-flare.html

A large storm like this happened in the 1800s and resulted in the failure of the telegraph system at the time. Obviously today the effects would be much further reaching. Something like this is going to happen again, it's just a matter of when. Hopefully this isn't it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Just saw this on another site. The sun has emitted some large solar flares, the largest of which could be directed towards earth potentially resulting in large power outages and technology failures.

A large storm like this happened in the 1800s and resulted in the failure of the telegraph system at the time. Obviously today the effects would be much further reaching. Something like this is going to happen again, it's just a matter of when. Hopefully this isn't it!

In all fairness, we are due a direct hit from a large solar flare at this stage. This will happen soon enough I feel. I think the new military satellites have shielding, but the older ones don't, so they can be destroyed, no cell-phone, no internet, the electrical grid not being shielded would go down, and the candle industry will profit bigly just like the cryptocurrency syscoin. And then a recession will hit, pushing us into a world of hell.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Excellent time to sell my out of date iodine tablets on adverts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

So will it interfere with my broadcasting of my sexy puppet shows

Excellent time to sell my out of date iodine tablets on adverts:)

Will swap for iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jamesbere wrote: »
    Will swap for iPhone

I'll pm you;)

• Advertisement

I'll pm you;)

Wait til I steal it first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

IRMA is 225 mph hitting the Caribbean right now and there is another storm brewing behind it Tropical storm Jose and it too likely be a hurrcaine soon too. There is something going on with the weather a 225 mph storm is a superstorm.

IRMA is 225 mph hitting the Caribbean right now and there is another storm brewing behind it Tropical storm Jose and it too likely be a hurrcaine soon too. There is something going on with the weather a 225 mph storm is a superstorm.

They had one the same, category 5 in 1928 same speeds as this one.

The National Weather Service said Puerto Rico had not seen a hurricane of Irma’s magnitude since Hurricane San Felipe in 1928, which killed a total of 2,748 people in Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico and Florida.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I'm more worried about the next lot of storm names. First one is storm aileen. My name. My parents are laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That's Boards next excuse for a shut down sorted...

• Advertisement

We so lucky where we live. I might have read the 225mph as km, they saying it 185mph still terrifying

Poor feckers.

They had one the same, category 5 in 1928 same speeds as this one.

The National Weather Service said Puerto Rico had not seen a hurricane of Irma’s magnitude since Hurricane San Felipe in 1928, which killed a total of 2,748 people in Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico and Florida.

190 mph is the strongest hurricane ever recorded, this is now second strongest hurricane ever recorded. The devastation in the video i posted is crazy and the winds you be blown off your feet at those speeds. The video shows the wind speed it's nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In all fairness, we are due a direct hit from a large solar flare at this stage. This will happen soon enough I feel. I think the new military satellites have shielding, but the older ones don't, so they can be destroyed, no cell-phone, no internet, the electrical grid not being shielded would go down, and the candle industry will profit bigly just like the cryptocurrency syscoin. And then a recession will hit, pushing us into a world of hell.

I wonder how long without power before society breaks down completely. I wouldn't fancy my chances of survival tbh, I think a recession would be the least of our worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

All this **** is in America.I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,126 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

smurgen wrote: »
    All this **** is in America.I couldn't care less.

Yes everyone knows the sun only points at America

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I wonder how long without power before society breaks down completely. I wouldn't fancy my chances of survival tbh, I think a recession would be the least of our worries!

Finally a real life purge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

3-4 days? that might be enough for Jose

But probably before Katia

Glad I don't live in Florida

In that case scenario, I was wondering would I eat the orange and lemon, or would I use them both for a lighting source when the moon is not up there shining a light upon us little snowflakes. Do I need light at night, or shall I go hungry ? Catch 22, again.

http://sciencing.com/make-electricity-using-orange-8160788.html

Basic Fruit Battery...

http://sciencing.com/fruit-projects-making-light-fruit-7900040.html

All my electronics are still working.will you let me know when my world will fall apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Did they say what time the expected the power to come back on at? Laptop's down to 15% battery.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

smurgen wrote: »
    All my electronics are still working.will you let me know when my world will fall apart?

There is a belief that a large solar storm could take down the US grid for over a year. During that time food production would tank as a result. This could have a cascading effect in general on society.

There is a belief that a large solar storm could take down the US grid for over a year. During that time food production would tank as a result. This could have a cascading effect in general on society.

Could.another millenium bug type hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

190 mph is the strongest hurricane ever recorded, this is now second strongest hurricane ever recorded. The devastation in the video i posted is crazy and the winds you be blown off your feet at those speeds. The video shows the wind speed it's nuts.

Its actually joint second with 4 others.

While yes its terrible and the follow up by jose is not good people need to calm down with this end of the world stuff there is no pattern yet to identify

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And that theory is complete scaremongering, people need to really take a break from facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Ah now I am already out of my wits worrying about North Korea, Nukular bombs, Ebola, ISIS, Cancer, Global Warming and you hit me with fcuking solar storms!! I can't take it anymore.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Finally a real life purge

No. I'm more worried about the flying arse, to be shat on constantly by your government is a lot worse than any solar storm/flare directed at planet earth. we can't take any more sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Don't worry about it. It'll probably happen at night when the sun disappears. Be grand so it will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

There is a belief in Kilbeacanty church that a man in a white robe can transform wafer thin bread into the body and blood of a another man who lived in Judea 2000 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lord jesus, what's going to happen to all them off shore banks and tax havens in the caribbean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There is a belief in Kilbeacanty church that a man in a white robe can transform wafer thin bread into the body and blood of a another man who lived in Judea 2000 years ago.

and that guy in Judea could feed 1000 people with a loaf and 3 fishes.. and could turn water into wine (allegedly)

Advertisement