Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair baggage changes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Is there a limit to how many priority boarding passengers there are on a Ryanair flight?

Yes. Only ninety per flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Generally OK with it and will pay the few € when time an important factor, but not sure why they couldnt just have done away with the second bag instead.

On the collection, how frequently does anyone see their bag already carouseling before they get to it themselves ?

Not sure Ive ever had that experience even once in my life..

"What happens my checked cabin bag at the other end?

It will appear on the baggage carousel in arrivals along with the other checked luggage. Some passengers have expressed frustration that this removes a key convenience of flying with hand luggage only (unless you fork out €5, of course).

However, Jacobs believes delays won't be an issue for Non-priority customers checking their 10kg cabin bags at the boarding gate.
    "90pc of time the bag will be at the carousel before you will," he says."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Generally OK with it and will pay the few € when time an important factor, but not sure why they couldnt just have done away with the second bag instead.

On the collection, how frequently does anyone see their bag already carouseling before they get to it themselves ?

Not sure Ive ever had that experience even once in my life..

"What happens my checked cabin bag at the other end?

It will appear on the baggage carousel in arrivals along with the other checked luggage. Some passengers have expressed frustration that this removes a key convenience of flying with hand luggage only (unless you fork out €5, of course).

However, Jacobs believes delays won't be an issue for Non-priority customers checking their 10kg cabin bags at the boarding gate.
    "90pc of time the bag will be at the carousel before you will," he says."
    In my experience this is fairly regular. Especially if you have to clear passport control, the 5-10 mins it takes to disembark from the aircraft and then another 5-10 mins through passport check means the bags are probably on the belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The rare time I've been waiting for baggage in Dublin, I've walked from the Ryanair gates, gotten through passport control and then waited up to 20 minutes for baggage. I have never, in almost any airport, been there after the baggage is on the carousel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've seen people who have the yellow tags attached (for bags to go in the hold), remove them and chance their arm to take them on board anyway.

I am presuming that under the new system your boarding card will be checked and if you have PB you bring your wheelie in, if not, you don't.

Is there a chute or hatch in the cabin where non PB bags can be lowered into the hold does anyone know? There could be a bit of a hitch if several non PB passengers try to take their bags on.

But I suppose it will all settle down eventually.

Very good move. If you have PB, no worries about finding room in the overheads. If you don't, you pick up your bags from the carousel on arrival.

I'm very happy about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

The last time I offered my bag to Ryanair at the gate was from DUB-BHX about 6 months ago and I was waiting 35 mins for my bag. It could well have been an anomaly but it made me hesitant about giving them my bag again.

I've seen people who have the yellow tags attached (for bags to go in the hold), remove them and chance their arm to take them on board anyway.

I am presuming that under the new system your boarding card will be checked and if you have PB you bring your wheelie in, if not, you don't.

Is there a chute or hatch in the cabin where non PB bags can be lowered into the hold does anyone know? There could be a bit of a hitch if several non PB passengers try to take their bags on.

But I suppose it will all settle down eventually.

Very good move. If you have PB, no worries about finding room in the overheads. If you don't, you pick up your bags from the carousel on arrival.

I'm very happy about it anyway.
    There is NO access from the cabin to the hold on Ryanair(or any?) commercial aircraft. 
    Yes as far as I know crew still check boarding passes so they will know who's entitled to bring their case into the cabin.
    Ryanair have been clear and said failure to comply with this new policy mean you may be refused travel without a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭testtech05

fg1406 wrote: »
    The last time I offered my bag to Ryanair at the gate was from DUB-BHX about 6 months ago and I was waiting 35 mins for my bag. It could well have been an anomaly but it made me hesitant about giving them my bag again.

Similar to this story. I don't really have a problem with the policy but was recently waiting on the opposite end of a flight for 1hr 20mins at the carousel after having my bag checked free of charge.
    I think this will force a lot of people into paying for priority if you need to catch onward flights/bus etc

fg1406 wrote: »
    Part and parcel of flying I'm afraid. Aircraft were never designed for everyone to carry a case in to the cabin! Theres a reason they were built with a baggage hold in the belly, and what was originally a "hat rack" above seats. Ryanair are in a way reverting to the traditional and intended form of flying :- bags go in the hold, passengers go in the cabin! 
    In my experience of flying 90% of the time bags will arrive on the belt within 15min of arriving on stand.
    If it reassures anyone, most airlines agree a contract with airports that means their bags must be delivered on the belt within this time (15 mins) if bags aren't consistently delivered in this time frame then the handling agent or airport are in breach on contract with the airline and will be penalised. So its in everyones interest to get bags delivered quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Locker10a wrote: »
    There is NO access from the cabin to the hold on Ryanair(or any?) commercial aircraft. 
    Yes as far as I know crew still check boarding passes so they will know who's entitled to bring their case into the cabin.
    Ryanair have been clear and said failure to comply with this new policy mean you may be refused travel without a refund.

Thanks for the info about access to the hold from the cabin, I was never sure about that!

I suppose my point was, if non PB passengers try to take their bags on board, there could be delays. They will have to turn back, put their bags beside the truck and re board. Would that be correct? Or will there be someone beside the luggage truck on the apron checking boarding passes before people go up the steps?

You can see that there could be a bit of a pinchpoint if pax decide to try it out.

But as I said earlier, it will become the norm and will settle down in time I suppose.

Good move. As you say, the belly is for bags, the overheads for hats and coats:P Or your wheelie if you pay for the privilege.

Thanks for the info about access to the hold from the cabin, I was never sure about that!

I suppose my point was, if non PB passengers try to take their bags on board, there could be delays. They will have to turn back, put their bags beside the truck and re board. Would that be correct? Or will there be someone beside the luggage truck on the apron checking boarding passes before people go up the steps?

You can see that there could be a bit of a pinchpoint if pax decide to try it out.

But as I said earlier, it will become the norm and will settle down in time I suppose.

Good move. As you say, the belly is for bags, the overheads for hats and coats:P Or your wheelie if you pay for the privilege.
    It happens regularly that people try to bring tagged bags into the cabin, the crew usually take them and leave them aside in the galley and ground staff fetch them.
    Ryanair tend to be efficient and innovative, how they will manage the boarding and supervision of bags i don't know yet but I'm sure if its the case that people are being chancers they will have to find a way around it, like you say checking boarding cards before you ascend the steps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Surely it'll just switch to the opposite of the moment and only approved bags are going to be allowed into the cabin which will have some sort of green tag or equivalent, so it won't matter if people rip off the yellow tags for bags bound for the hold as if they don't have a green tag it won't be let on?

NH2013 wrote: »
    Surely it'll just switch to the opposite of the moment and only approved bags are going to be allowed into the cabin which will have some sort of green tag or equivalent, so it won't matter if people rip off the yellow tags for bags bound for the hold as if they don't have a green tag it won't be let on?
    That would be an excellent option, tag the bags allowed in the cabin as opposed to the ones going into the hold. Hold bags would of course need a destination tag too this could be done as they are placed on the cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I flew on an Ilyushin IL-86 aircraft a good few years ago and this aircraft had access to the lower deck baggage bays, we boarded the aircraft through a sort of air stairs door on the lower fuselage, deposited our bags on a rack and continued up a small flight of stairs into the main cabin itself. From what I remember we weren't allowed access our baggage in flight but it was certainly possible to through a door in the floor across the stairs at the back (and possibly the front).

I flew on an Ilyushin IL-86 aircraft a good few years ago and this aircraft had access to the lower deck baggage bays, we boarded the aircraft through a sort of air stairs door on the lower fuselage, deposited our bags on a rack and continued up a small flight of stairs into the main cabin itself. From what I remember we weren't allowed access our baggage in flight but it was certainly possible to through a door in the floor across the stairs at the back (and possibly the front).

I think it would be a fantastic idea especially for tackling baggage issues but poses obvious security issues

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ATRs have access to the forward hold from the cabin also; again passengers aren't actually allowed in to rummage around for their bags in flight though.

As far as I remember, this caused trouble for an Irish olympic shooter as EI couldn't let him check his guns to ABZ due to the risk of someone being able to access them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does anyone else find it a bit mad that the change is now even more restrictive than under the old system before they became "customer oriented"? They say you can take "One small bag e.g. handbag, laptop bag etc. not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm" when it used to be one bag up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm in size. Everyone knew where they stood with the old rule, and you could bring a rucksack bigger than the new size and still fit it under the chair if needed.

It seems to be a material change to the terms and conditions of a flight - I'd be raging if I was sticking to the rules at the time I bought a ticket only to be told I'd need to pay now for priority boarding or else put a (fits under the seat) bag in the hold. €5 per passenger is not a disaster I suppose, but many people will be caught out when their one "cabin-size" bag ends up going to be chucked in the hold.

I suppose passengers with laptops, cameras, spare batteries, are to be told to remove all that before handing their baggage over for hold storage? I can see that ending well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Im having a hard time getting a definitive answer on this. Can anyone here advise?

I have a flight in the morning to Stansted. I want to bring a cabin bag (55 x 40 x 20 and less than 10kg) to store overhead, and I also want to bring a suit bag like below:

61oMx8MosAL._SY355_.jpg

Is this allowed? The suit bag obviously falls outside the permitted dimensions given that the width/height is slightly larger than that of a suit jacket, though I guess it can be folded....?

Or do I need to upgrade my booking to Priority for this to be permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Priority boarding does NOT change your baggage allocation, it only changes where it goes.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Priority boarding does NOT change your baggage allocation, it only changes where it goes.

Well I'd prefer to have both with me as I'm in a bit of a rush once I land. As I understand it, non-priority means that one of my bags would be going into the hold so I'd be held up waiting for it once I arrive to my destination.

But would a suit bag count as the "second" piece of hand luggage?

Non priority, correct, means your bag is in the hold.

I'm not sure whether you'd get away with the suit as the second piece of cabin baggage, it must fit under the seat on front of you.

Well I'd prefer to have both with me as I'm in a bit of a rush once I land. As I understand it, non-priority means that one of my bags would be going into the hold so I'd be held up waiting for it once I arrive to my destination.

But would a suit bag count as the "second" piece of hand luggage?
    To be honest your best bet is probably using your case as leverage, and offering it to be gate checked as a gesture to staff who will then allow your suit with you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Non priority, correct, means your bag is in the hold.

I'm not sure whether you'd get away with the suit as the second piece of cabin baggage, it must fit under the seat on front of you.

the new rules don't start until November

at present you can still bring two bags

Had no issues going through with the suit bag after all. Not an eyelid was batted.

Hopefully the same result on my return flight this evening.

Riskymove wrote: »
    the new rules don't start until November

at present you can still bring two bags

Missed the bit about them going in the morning!

Advertisement