Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair baggage changes

Options
  • 06-09-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Ryanair has announced that customers will only be allowed to bring a small bag on board from November 1st if they don't pay for priority boarding.

The dimensions are smaller than most backpacks.

Facebook has already gone mad...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They will tag bags for free at the gate as before, but all bags will be tagged for non priority customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/

as far as I can see I won't be affected as I use one carry on bag which meets allowed dimensions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds like an attempt to tighten turns after the seating debacle slowdowns to me - not many will pay to carry on more than once if the gate drop is done right, so it's definitely not a revenue move. Fly regional airlines anywhere basically and larger "cabin" bags are gate dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

737max wrote: »
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/

as far as I can see I won't be affected as I use one carry on bag which meets allowed dimensions.

You have to check that in:
    We hope that by restricting non-priority customers to one small carry-on bag – their wheelie bag must be placed in the hold, free of charge at the boarding gate

So if it fits in the Front sizer then you can bring it on (Small Bag)
    If it fits in the back sizer unless you paid for Priority then you must put it in the hold

2013-12-05-14-37-07.jpg

Not sure of your interpretation.
    I read that as where you have two bags your wheelie case must be left at the steps. Mine is a squidgy backpack and have never been challenged up to now when they were forcing all the excess wheelie cases in to the hold at the steps to the aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not sure of your interpretation.
    I read that as where you have two bags your wheelie case must be left at the steps. Mine is a squidgy backpack and have never been challenged up to now when they were forcing all the excess wheelie cases in to the hold at the steps to the aircraft.

The changes announced today are pretty clear - its not just wheelie cases they're saying will have to be gate dropped; its anything above the 'small item' scale which a backpack is not.

Rules and implementation thereof could easily vary wildly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Excellent new policy by Ryanair here in my opinion. They'll be boarding full flights in 7 or 8 minutes if it's implemented correctly. Leaving their competitors long behind.
    And I really don't see why people would be so upset about this basically they're allowing you to take a case for free the only stipulation is you carry it to the boarding gate yourself. If you want the convenience of keeping it above your head during the flight then you pay for priority boarding simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Any bag that you have to put up in the overhead lockers won't be going onboard without priority boarding, they'll be in the hold.

Any bag that you can put under the seat on front of you, you can take on-board.

Think it's a great move by Ryanair, well thought out and implemented.

My current strategy for Ryanair is to book as early as free check-in allows to get an aisle or window seat and don't join the queue to board the plane until the very last moment when the staff at the gate are hurrying to close check-in. With a squidgy bag which meets carry-on dimensions I think I'm OK and I welcome the changes as I was never not adhering to their cabin baggage rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

actually, having read this thread and the Ryanair link from Redcup above, I think change is pretty good. I'm flying soon and will need to bring a wheelie (far less than 10KG) but obviously don't want to pay to check it in in the conventional sense. brining it to the gate and having it put in the hold for free is perfect and if this move helps speed things up then all the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Any bag that you have to put up in the overhead lockers won't be going onboard without priority boarding, they'll be in the hold.

Any bag that you can put under the seat on front of you, you can take on-board.

Think it's a great move by Ryanair, well thought out and implemented.

I agree but I think it's been poorly worded in some reports. The report I read said for people with two bags the bigger one will be checked unless you have PB. So for someone with no PB but just one wheelie bag then there's no change but I don't think this is the case, it's all wheelies in hold unless you buy PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What about the changes to family plus?? 2 years ago, all kids bags were half price. Last year, only 15kg were half price. this year, you must buy family plus add on, get 2x20kg with one half price but you also must get priority boarding so works out about the same (i.e. free priority boarding)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think its positive and I don't massively care personally. The restriction will hit me where I want to bring my small backpack (which is itself slightly larger than the baby-sizer) and my camera bag. Even though both will fit under the seat in front of me... albeit a squash.

Unfortunately rather than just hopping off the plane people will now start complaining (rightly) about the often ridiculous delays in baggage appearing on the carousel after the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Always prefer to have my wheelie bag put into the hold at the gate anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Can't see how it's going to make any difference to any flight I've ever been on. Upping the checked in baggage allowance is irrelevant. No-one I've travelled with (or picked up from the airport) in the last ten years has ever paid for checked-in baggage, and most of us have always been quite happy to dump the wheelie case at the steps or boarding gate.

Of course on Monday, when I was randomly allocated seat 4A and my son was in 8D, so we had every reason to wait till very last minute before boarding, they didn't take our cases, which ended up being stowed several rows behind us. :rolleyes:

(And of course there was someone sitting in my 4A seat, which wasn't a problem for me, but then he had to wait while I waited for a chance to go against the flow of traffic to get my case out of the locker ...)

I miss the old Ryanair. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Can't see how it's going to make any difference to any flight I've ever been on. (

indeed, I am assuming many more people will just pay for priority boarding and we have the same result as now only extra €6 per person for Ryanair - genuis again really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

At least they didn't decide to introduce the out the policy some of the american low cost carriers are running Spirit charges $50+ to carry on a baf at the gate if you haven't paid for it already. Just hope the cost of priority boarding doesn't go up. But I can see the priority queue being as long as the other queue when this does come in. Now if Ryanair could fix their seating policy we would all be set.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Riskymove wrote: »
    indeed, I am assuming many more people will just pay for priority boarding and we have the same result as now only extra €6 per person for Ryanair - genuis again really

They won't pay for allocated seating in many cases so are unlikely pay for priority boarding.

In many cases Ryanair priority boarding just allows you to stand in the cold or rain or beating sun in a cattle crush at the edge of the apron while watching those incoming passengers on your plane alight the aircraft.

I don't see how Ryanair will implement this smoothly in Frankfurt Main where everyone gets a bus to the aircraft. that aircraft isn't set up to confiscate large numbers of bags and cases at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

Why do I keep seeing comments about the bags having to be picked up at the carousel? Has this been confirmed? Myabe you'll just pick them up at the bottom of the steps like you do at the moment if you're outside the 90 bags allowed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

SteM wrote: »
    Why do I keep seeing comments about the bags having to be picked up at the carousel? Has this been confirmed? Myabe you'll just pick them up at the bottom of the steps like you do at the moment if you're outside the 90 bags allowed on.

Anytime I've left my back at the gate to go in the hold I've collected from carousel. I'd presume it would slow down the process of unloading the flight, also be an issue if your disembarking using an air bridge. I would have assumed it'll always be a carousel collection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

duffman13 wrote: »
    Anytime I've left my back at the gate to go in the hold I've collected from carousel. I'd presume it would slow down the process of unloading the flight, also be an issue if your disembarking using an air bridge. I would have assumed it'll always be a carousel collection

I must me be remembering incorrectly. It's only happened to me once and I thought I got it at the foot of the steps? Maybe I'm mixing it up with bringing a pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

In many cases Ryanair priority boarding just allows you to stand in the cold or rain or beating sun in a cattle crush at the edge of the apron while watching those incoming passengers on your plane alight the aircraft.

I don't see how Ryanair will implement this smoothly in Frankfurt Main where everyone gets a bus to the aircraft. that aircraft isn't set up to confiscate large numbers of bags and cases at the gate.
    if thats the case they could do it like Lufthansa regional services and take the bags at the bottom of the steps into a small cart, and load them from there into the hold, and pickup then at steps on arrival at the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Can't really see them giving them back at the steps. Surely it would involve 90 plus pax standing around the apron waiting for them to be unloaded

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Any bags taken from beside the plane go the carousel on arrival. The only exception are prams and buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

They won't pay for allocated seating in many cases so are unlikely pay for priority boarding.

getting to keep your bag with you is a big thing for a lot of people though

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

if thats the case they could do it like Lufthansa regional services and take the bags at the bottom of the steps into a small cart, and load them from there into the hold, and pickup then at steps on arrival at the destination.

That's done commonly all across the US. Valet baggage. Presumably it's easier for them just to bring them all in with the other luggage rather than have people hanging around waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭trellheim

Pickup at steps is what Cityjet do and I absolutely hate it as you are banned from getting off until it has been done ( sometimes over 15 mins waiting even if you do not have a bag waiting at the steps ) as they do not want sheep wandering the apron ; far better to do it at the carousel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I assume suit bags become an issue now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Is there a limit to how many priority boarding passengers there are on a Ryanair flight?

What if everybody decided that they wanted to pay for priority boarding, will the system allow them to buy it...?

Advertisement