Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Lineker and the man who had his willy chopped off

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Disappointed this is not a Harry Potter parody film like the thread name implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I think Bill Burr had a good bit on this topic. That or he discussed it on his podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A-hole thing to say.
    Never quite got making humor about serious serious things (victim of murder or rape etc)
    The older I get I just see it as often a sign that someone is a wan*er.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

John Wayne Bobbit jokes are in the same vein as how people somehow find it acceptable to joke about male rape (see almost every reference to prison in an American comedy). I have honestly never understood this.

Jokes about the same thing happening to women would be rightly condemned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

JayRoc wrote: »
    John Wayne Bobbit jokes are in the same vein as how people somehow find it acceptable to joke about male rape (see almost every reference to prison in an American comedy). I have honestly never understood this.

This one's hilarious

if you get offended by don't pick up the soap type jokes then you really need to have a sense of humour. A large amount of jokes are at the expense of someone's misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Love to see the same people who spend half their time whinging about 'PC culture' and 'SJW's' suddenly turn into precious little snowflakes when someone they don't like makes the kind of joke they'd defend otherwise.

And in almost every single AH thread about prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He made a fcuking joke. So what. Fcuk sake. Some people really need to get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He made a fcuking joke. So what. Fcuk sake. Some people really need to get a life.
    It's more the fact that he simply would not do it regarding a story about a man mutilating a woman's genitals, and that ridicule of men is acceptable a lot of the time. It's a bigger picture than just the joke tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Spider Web wrote: »
    It's more the fact that he simply would not do it regarding a story about a man mutilating a woman's genitals, and that ridicule of men is acceptable a lot of the time. It's a bigger picture than just the joke tweet.

It's a false equivalence to compare the two as though they are equally regarded in society. I agree that it's a bigger picture than just the joke tweet, but making jokes about male genital mutilation can be condemned on it's own without needing to compare it to female genital mutilation.

Context is of course important, and while I didn't find the attempted joke funny either, I think condemnation for it is akin to policing people's sense of humour - an altogether more insidious phenomenon than someone making a sh*t joke that can be easily ignored. There's plenty I don't find particularly funny or distasteful, but more often than not, I've found that expressing distaste only encourages some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

It's a false equivalence to compare the two as though they are equally regarded in society. I agree that it's a bigger picture than just the joke tweet, but making jokes about male genital mutilation can be condemned on it's own without needing to compare it to female genital mutilation.

Context is of course important, and while I didn't find the attempted joke funny either, I think condemnation for it is akin to policing people's sense of humour - an altogether more insidious phenomenon than someone making a sh*t joke that can be easily ignored. There's plenty I don't find particularly funny or distasteful, but more often than not, I've found that expressing distaste only encourages some people.

Any more posts such as the above and I'll have you thrown out of here for being too sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I actually found the joke quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Love to see the same people who spend half their time whinging about 'PC culture' and 'SJW's' suddenly turn into precious little snowflakes when someone they don't like makes the kind of joke they'd defend otherwise.

When a man chooses to signal his virtueness, get drunk on the praise from certain sections from his belief that his virtue is greater than the average pleb and castigates others for not being on his level virtueness, he is going to get picked apart when he chooses to forget his virtue responsibilities.

If you're gonna play the virtue game, make sure you're perfect

It's a false equivalence to compare the two as though they are equally regarded in society.
    I'm not talking about circumcision though (which I agree isn't as bad as FGM in terms of the damage done, but it's still barbaric) - I'm talking about a man's penis being chopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This one's hilarious

if you get offended by don't pick up the soap type jokes then you really need to have a sense of humour. A large amount of jokes are at the expense of someone's misery.

I wouldn't say I'm offended by them. I just don't get why people who wouldn't joke about women getting raped would joke about men getting raped. I'm not a snowflake, trust me. Just don't get the double-standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Spider Web wrote: »
    I'm not talking about circumcision though (which I agree isn't as bad as FGM in terms of the damage done, but it's still barbaric) - I'm talking about a man's penis being chopped off.

I was picking up on the point you were making though that he wouldn't make the same kind of joke about a woman having her genitalia mutilated and that it's about the biggest picture. Social revulsion of the two phenomena are world's apart as to be hardly comparable. Men having their penises chopped off is whether we like it or not, not nearly as socially repugnant as a woman having her clitoris chopped off.

That's why socially it's more acceptable to make jokes about men having their penis chopped off. Making the point that he wouldn't make the same kind of joke about a woman is what's actually missing the bigger picture IMO. It's the sort of "reverse the genders" stuff that gets trotted out an awful lot which completely ignores the context of the bigger picture to claim that something is an example of sexism. A man has his penis chopped off, a guy makes a crap joke about it, and some people are concerned about sexism?

I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing per se, just odd is all, a different perspective I suppose, based on ones point of view.

Men having their penises chopped off is whether we like it or not, not nearly as socially repugnant as a woman having her clitoris chopped off.

That's why socially it's more acceptable to make jokes about men having their penis chopped off.
    That's exactly the problem I'm referring to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Does anyone really expect anything better from Gary Lineker? He is an absolute tw*t and has a very high opinion of himself.

I mean, even just look at his brother. He's about 50 years old partying in Ibiza hanging out of teenagers. Dirty nonce.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does anyone really expect anything better from Gary Lineker? He is an absolute tw*t and has a very high opinion of himself.

I mean, even just look at his brother. He's about 50 years old partying in Ibiza hanging out of teenagers. Dirty nonce.

"U sound triggered. U triggered bro?"

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

"U sound triggered. U triggered bro?"

Nope not at all. I just can't understand why Gary Lineker has this 'great' reputation and gets these major football presenter gigs. He is a well known bellend in the football world by fellow professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was picking up on the point you were making though that he wouldn't make the same kind of joke about a woman having her genitalia mutilated and that it's about the biggest picture. Social revulsion of the two phenomena are world's apart as to be hardly comparable. Men having their penises chopped off is whether we like it or not, not nearly as socially repugnant as a woman having her clitoris chopped off.

That's why socially it's more acceptable to make jokes about men having their penis chopped off. Making the point that he wouldn't make the same kind of joke about a woman is what's actually missing the bigger picture IMO. It's the sort of "reverse the genders" stuff that gets trotted out an awful lot which completely ignores the context of the bigger picture to claim that something is an example of sexism. A man has his penis chopped off, a guy makes a crap joke about it, and some people are concerned about sexism?

I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing per se, just odd is all, a different perspective I suppose, based on ones point of view.

But penises are also funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The joke is not the issue, it's who delivered it. If Alan Shearer had tweeted it nobody would have bat an eyelid.

If Trump tweeted about misandry it would get the same reaction.
    Hypocrisy always gets called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I wouldn't say I'm offended by them. I just don't get why people who wouldn't joke about women getting raped would joke about men getting raped. I'm not a snowflake, trust me. Just don't get the double-standard.

i think its somewhat to do with higher expectations of men to absorb pain. men have gone to war, fought as gladiators in coloseums, boxers, wrestlers, hunters. just man up and get on with on it..... you're a man, you should have fought back harder.... its not a surprise to see men getting hurt.

when a woman is in a physical altercation especially a rape or assault,it may appear as more of a shock. i often hear it being said that its worse to see women fighting each other on the street than men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Know a fellow who knew him when he was at Spurs and said he was just a vile nasty person. He knew a load of sporting celebs in football, snooker etc. back in the 90s and always said Linekar stood out as someone you didn't want to be around, and everyone knew it.

Spurs played my local team way back in the 90s at one of those charity things and it was such a big deal as you can imagine.
    My friend was in the Order of Malta and she was outside the dressing rooms after half-time (Linekar only played the first half).. She had to talk to Linekar for one reason or another and he came out of the dressing room completely naked and chatted away to her! She was only about 16 at the time.

After the match we waited around to see the players leaving and some young fella was getting autographs from the players - most obliged. When Linekar came out he looked like he was going to sign but then waved away the boy. I remember thinking 'what a knob', he could have made that young fellas day. It wasn't like he was hounded by autograph hunters or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Spurs played my local team way back in the 90s at one of those charity things and it was such a big deal as you can imagine.
    My friend was in the Order of Malta and she was outside the dressing rooms after half-time (Linekar only played the first half).. She had to talk to Linekar for one reason or another and he came out of the dressing room completely naked and chatted away to her! She was only about 16 at the time.

After the match we waited around to see the players leaving and some young fella was getting autographs from the players - most obliged. When Linekar came out he looked like he was going to sign but then waved away the boy. I remember thinking 'what a knob', he could have made that young fellas day. It wasn't like he was hounded by autograph hunters or anything.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Robsweezie wrote: »
    when a woman is in a physical altercation especially a rape or assault,it may appear as more of a shock. i often hear it being said that its worse to see women fighting each other on the street than men.

Side-note on that - boys are expected to "rough-house" as children, get into fights, be able to protect themselves and have a certain limit on how much damage they deal out. Obviously a bit sweeping, but I'd say most parents even now would still be less surprised if their son came home with a bloody nose than their daughter.

Girls in general aren't. If they're taught to fight at all, it's no-holds-barred, bite, kick, punch, hair-pulling, knee to groin - because the expectation is that if they have to use it, winning is getting away or rendering the other person unable to hurt them, losing is probably death or rape. So two girls going at each other is -vicious-.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Do you still have FlashBacks?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Male rape isn't something that we hear about a lot. Victims very rarely speak out, so we don't see the impact it has on the person. Therefore people don't think very deeply about it. It seems 'distant' enough that people (often men) feel they can be extremely flippant about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Just to say that I hold no brief for the big-eared goal poacher with the loose bowels. But we're talking about Gary Lineker here and not Attila the Hun.
    The latter was often accused of reckless endangerment, and was seen, on more than one occasion, to have gone viciously 'over the top' to achieve his goals.
    Whereas the former - a humble lad from Leicester who's Dad ran a market stall - scored goals for fun, took to television presenting like a duck to water, and was never, ever booked in his entire professional career.......... btw, I meant Roy Keane rather than the boy Attila, but the same difference really, as the both gave 110%, played the way they were facing, and took no prisoners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

The joke is not the issue, it's who delivered it. If Alan Shearer had tweeted it nobody would have bat an eyelid.

I would.

Advertisement