Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever get told about "the birds & the bee's"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Nope, told absolutely nothing at home and I mean NOTHING. I remember being about 9 and asking my mother about periods. I don't think I knew exactly what they were, but obviously I'd heard the word somewhere. She told me it would be discussed when I was older. Total stupidity as two of my cousins got theirs at 10 and 11 (I was 13)
    I learnt about the birds and the bees from magazines, Jackie, Mizz, Just Seventeen etc.
    My mother's attitude still hasn't changed. Refuses to discuss anything that she might have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

They sat me down and started the spiel but I told them we were told about it in school. The relief on all sides was palpable.

I don't think I'll mind too much having the chat with mine. Their school already does a module about 'appropriate behaviour' with them and part of that is that we have to discuss it with them and that went OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

A few weeks ago, my mam said something innocently but I was laughing because I thought it sounded like a euphemism. She kept asking me why I was laughing so I told her and she was laughing aswell but then the other week she was telling me about her friend who is having trouble swallowing and I wasn't even thinking of anything dirty and then she said "swallowing food Lorelli, food"!

She said something the other day and I had to walk out into the kitchen to laugh. I think she might be starting to think that she's raised a nympho! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Yeah I was told about the "birds and the bees ". My dad said " some day a bird will come along and you'll want to shove your little bee dick into her...i don't give a bollocks right!...but if you get her up the pole I'll fcuking kill ya..."

I knew straight away what he was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

My mother explained it in technical terms, which confused the bejaysus out of me. I was mortified so I pretended to understand, but later had to go back and ask again. I don't really remember at what point I really understood it. I also had a book about sex and periods, it was great. The front was for girls, and if you turned it backwards and upside down, that side was for boys. So you could learn about yourself and the other sex. I loaned that out from the library multiple times. And then we had the 6th class projector talk featuring a nun. I don't recall that explaining anything in the way of sexual mechanics. I think it was like a picture of a penis with a little tube inside indicating where semen comes from, and a picture of a complex diagram with 'uterus' labelled in the middle, and then an explanation which involved menses and blood and eggs, all of which sufficiently removed anything identifiable human or sexual from the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Is there actually a Story relating to "birds and Bees" or where did that analogy come from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Nah, the school covered it from a Biology perspective. My dad asked me if the school had covered what I need to know.
    I have never heard as big a sigh of relief when I told him they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

My ma had the talk with me, I remember it being super cringe and thinking to myself Jesus woman you're a few years to late on that one. She was also breastfeeding my baby brother at the same time which made it extra cringe.

I also had the talk in sixth class as well, all I remember from that was an awkward demonstration of a condom being put over a banana and I remember thinking what if she doesn't like bananas?

Imagine going on a first date with a guy and instead of bringing you a bunch of roses he hands you a banana with condom over it :D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My mam sat me down and put on a VHS tape or a cartoon explanation.
    It was torture and embarrassing to watch.

Afterwards she asked me if I had any questions.....hell no!

I still don't have a clue what I'm doing though. :)

I also don't have to have an awkward conversation with my kids about where babies come from, they have both experienced a childbirth. And we've also spoken to them about their birth.

Advertisement