Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you ever get told about "the birds & the bee's"

Options
  • 02-09-2017 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

I dont think i did. Learnt it as I went along

Were you sat down by your parents and given the chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

No. My father was never in the picture and I was raised by my grandparents so I learned as I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

My OH (Thank God he doesn't use boards.ie or he'd kill me) wasn't told by his parents. Going on his first holiday abroad, his GP (who was a great family friend having looked after him in ill-health as a child) came down to the port to see him off and had a chat with him about 'experiencing/seeing things he had never seen before - and you don't want to come back with anything you didn't go with - and you can get things to keep you safe' - that's my OH's version of the conversation anyway. f

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pennydreadful

Sort of. My mother arrived into my room one day and handed me a book and said 'you might give that a read sometime.' I think it was called something like 'where do I come from?' I know now that it was originally purchased by my aunt for my two cousins, then given to me, then to my sister, and is now in storage for when we have children. Not your traditional family heirloom!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not that I recall.. sort of just figured it out as I went

(typical man me.. never read the "instructions" .. but yet it's all worked out ok) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Told by the auld lad. I'll never forget that horrible day. I didn't have the heart to tell him I know all this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My mother was pregnant at the time and left a book up on the shelf and told me I wasn't to look at it, knowing full well I would. As soon as she was gone I had it down and it was a cartoon book along the lines of "when a mammy and daddy love each other very much". That was it, she never mentioned the book ever again to me. Never spoke to me about the birds and the bees at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Thread disappoints.
    I thought there was going to be a discussion about birds like canaries and finches and my own favourites parrot.
    Followed by a comment around honey need.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

i was told by our teacher in sixth class who happened to be a nun .but she was a lovely lady and told us very matter of factly. I remember being absolutely shocked I hadn't had an iota that's what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

Yep...dad brought me upstairs to have a "chat".....God it was cringing....all I wanted to do was laugh...

I'm bringing the same man to the match tomorrow and I'm looking after him now.....amazing how the roles are reversed.

Still think he's the greatest dad ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

No, though I'd figured out that sex was something that people got up to while naked. Probably from newspapers or something. My older brother was in secondary school and for some reason, I took at look at his science book one day. There were some photocopied pages in it which explained in some detail what happens. So I got not just the science behind why Percy points north but what happens next. I was a bit shocked and it took a little bit of processing. I still find it hard to believe that my parents got up to that sort of thing :D

• Advertisement

I was told as I asked or as it was pertinent, and if I asked what a part of my body was called, I was told it's proper name and what it was for. Didn't matter if it was a shoulder or bellybutton or vulva, they're all just body parts and it was all very matter of fact and neither parent was ever embarrassed, and I wasn't either.

Having accumulated all the information as I grew up, there was never a need for a sit-down talk and if they had, it wouldn't have bothered me because I was raised to just think of everything to do with developing, sex and procreation as normal life, which it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

All the 6th class students had one evening where we all had to go back to school,bring one or both parents and a nun gave us a presentation on it from a projector
    That was the day i learnt about wet dreams..
    From a nun..

This was only in 2003 too!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    All the 6th class students had one evening where we all had to go back to school,bring one or both parents and a nun gave us a presentation on it from a projector
    From a nun..

Hahaha! That reminds me of a woman who came into school when I was about 16/17 and started off with things like grooming and hygiene, but completely lost the plot when she started on tampons!

She thought they were the work of the devil, stole a young girls virginity, and had us all dead from Toxic Shock if we dared put them near us. She was practically frothing at the mouth and frightened some of us so badly that one girl started crying. We were all sitting there in stunned silence, waiting for it to stop.

Not even in a Catholic school or Ireland either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Me ex told me about "the talk" his Dad had with him. Long time ago so very un-pc, shockingly so.

"Do you know what a queer is"?

"Yeah"

And that was it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Oh yes, David Attenborough covered the birds and the bees quite comprehensively in The Private Life of Plants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

My stunted information came via a nun. It's a long time ago so forgive my apparent idiocy. We were kept back in 6th class for a special class where we would be told all the secrets. Had to get notes from our parents etc to allow us to be there. Sister got to the part where she told us about down there, biologically speaking, about the urethra and the anus and then she mentioned a ''third hole''. At that moment the raucous mother of a student appeared at the door and began screeching at the nun about some disciplinary issue regarding her daughter (not connected to the special class). The whole thing erupted into a fierce and awful row between the screeching mother and the nun - an utterly frightening display - and the special class was disbanded in disarray. I stumbled home and sat on the end of my bed in tears and utter confusion, until my mother found me. All I could mumble through my tears and confusion was ''A third hole? A THIRD hole??!!!''. I had honestly never realised such a thing existed until that time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

My father explained to me that when two men love each other.... and things get hot and heavy.... they go upstairs... take off the clothes... and SH!T on the bible*

When I was 18 and going out on the town my father would regularly tell me not to be getting into fights and to be in bed for 12, he said if I wasn't in bed by 12, I was to come home. That was the extent of my birds and the bees.

*Before the pc grade come in, relax, it's a joke lampooning narrow minds

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No, never by the parents. No talk, book or anything. I remember asking my mam once where babies came from when I was little and I was told that women had babies after they got married and that was that.

We had some sort of a sex ed talk in school in 6th class though. Can't remember much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was told at school by a nun and through educational videos

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

One Summer's evening just before I finished 6th class. Our class went back to school at about 7:30pm with a parent(s).
    First we had a talk about drugs with a Garda and then a lady talked to us about sex. It was probably the most embarrassing moment of my schooling life. My mother used always go to school events but my father for the first time ever insisted on going.(So, my mother stayed with my grandmother) my father made smart comments during the whole talk. I got a look from other people's parents/teacher/etc saying I feel sorry for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Yep, it was a joint effort between both my parents one afternoon after school. It was mortifying on so many levels. My mam took the logistics, having studied medicine, and my dad the psychological implications, being a psychologist. It was a lot "when your ready..." "don't feel pressure..." and "how you feel about yourself is more important then how other people feel about you". My mam also whipped out a diagram of a vagina and gave me the aul "you need to know what it's like so you can recognize any changes" talk at the same time.

As well as that I got it in 6th class from a nun and then 5th year from some women who had been teen mothers. You had to wear beer goggles and try to put a condom on a fake penis and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Nope. My cousin told me and my brother when we were about 7 & 8. I think mam must have heard cos she ran my cousin home and was in a bad mood for the day after that. She should have been thankful, it saved her an awkward job. My dad wasn't around much but I remember my uncle took my brother off for the day when he was 12. My brother came back chuffed with himself and my uncle was saying he's a man now so I always thought he had the chat with him then.
    Actually... I hope that's what it was :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    From a nun..

Oh my god I remember those. I remember thinking I was the only one in my class who had my period and I sank down into my seat cringing when the lady spoke about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Father wasn't around. The only talk from my mother was one night, at about 15, when there was a group of us camping out. Few lads, few girls. Some wise words were spoken that night...

"I'll fùcking kill you if you get anyone pregnant"

-_-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Sort of. My mother arrived into my room one day and handed me a book and said 'you might give that a read sometime.' I think it was called something like 'where do I come from?' I know now that it was originally purchased by my aunt for my two cousins, then given to me, then to my sister, and is now in storage for when we have children. Not your traditional family heirloom!

This is pretty much what happened with me. My mum gave me the book to read when I was 10 and said to come to her with any questions. I remember asking her a few things but was happy enough. Then in 1st year we got a talk about it and then also was doing science and learned more there.

I thought it was disgusting. I really couldn't understand why anyone would want to let a man put his willy in them. My how things have changed.....

With my sons I sat them down and told them a little about it all and told them to come to me with questions. I remember my eldest a few days later was helping me make dinner (he was 10 or 11) and he asked if condom machines in pub/hotel toilets were there in case "someone gets the urge". I liked how he had processed it all that far and understood that it was a natural act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

No they never sat me down for a chat. They were very open though and I was able to ask them questions if I wanted to. Mostly talked about it with my peers.

I remember when I was 9 or 10 and my friend found her mother's vibrator in her house. First we were saying "what is that?". We concluded it must be a torch but then I remember saying "but if it's a torch where does the light shine out from :confused: ???"! We both knew it wasn't a torch but we didn't ask any more questions about it then. I could see my friend was getting embarrassed. She put it back and as far as we were concerned, it was some kind of torch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, n. 2352)

So, for example, a husband cannot deliberately stimulate the genital organs of his wife in order to give her sexual pleasure, for such an action is defined within the Catechism as a type of sexual act which is "intrinsically and gravely disordered." The masturbation of another person is no less immoral than the masturbation of oneself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think I always just knew on instinct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

No but I took a photo of a Hawthorn tree laiden with berries and posted it up on my Instagram page....

My heading was "There's going to be a lot of fat bird's this winter"

Too bee or not two bee's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There was no sex education in the school I went to and the subject definitely wasn't discussed at home, the oul boy would have run a mile I'd say if the question was asked.

The older brother mention it to me one day when I was about 10, I must have been an innocent little fella because I remember being amazed at being told that if this goes in there it feels good.

Advertisement