Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

shesty wrote: »
    She sounds fine, still very small.Just keep talking to her normally yourself, telling her what you're doing, where you're going, what's happening next.Sounds silly but they take it all in amd it's how they learn.
    There is a lot of noise here, so himself just adds to the.....cacophony (it's how it feels somedays!)

Thanks, I talk all the time to her, all through the day. I think I’m probably overthinking it. She can be very noisy when she wants, lots of screeching the last few days. Hopefully she’s just a bit of on the quieter side personality wise and will be chatting more soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kastasia

To be honest I wouldn't have had a clue as to what sounds were expected at what stage. But my fella started with the a-da-da-da-da (or maybe tatata) yesterday and it sounds great. Can't get a video of it though, he doesn't perform on demand!

Did any of the May babies have a 6 month check up yet? My phn told me at the 3 month check that baby would be around 8 months before she’d be called for 6 month check. Is this normal? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i didnt get a call, i had it booked from after the previous one.. it was awful too..
    im never getting the shots in one go again. ill be getting them separate, ended up in temple street!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Toastytoes wrote: »
    Did any of the May babies have a 6 month check up yet? My phn told me at the 3 month check that baby would be around 8 months before she’d be called for 6 month check. Is this normal? Thanks.
    There isn’t a 6 month check.
    It’s 6-9 months, 18-24 months and 3-4 years. So depends on the area whether you get called at older or younger age. Most PHN’s like to leave it closer to the older age to avoid unnecessary referrals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

There isn’t a 6 month check.
    It’s 6-9 months, 18-24 months and 3-4 years. So depends on the area whether you get called at older or younger age. Most PHN’s like to leave it closer to the older age to avoid unnecessary referrals.

^ this. We were called at 9 months and they checked pincer grip, sitting unaided, clapping hands, swapping an item from hand to hand. A lot of things he didn’t do at 6 months so it wouldn’t have been a full evaluation at that stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No, ours does one at 9 months, 2.years and 3.5 years, that's it.

Heading to work kiddies Christmas party today and probably going to have a chat with boss about return date...or if I avoid it today then tomorrow at Christmas party... Seriously need to think about childcare. Is there any site that has a comprehensive list of questions you should ask childminders (minding in their home). I mean I know a lot of it is common sense but...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I used schooldays.ie, which does have a section on it, I think, about what to ask.
    Hate the thought of returning!

Toastytoes wrote: »

Just to follow up to on this, I actually got a call today with an appointment for her developmental check up with doctor in early January, she she will be 7 months. Guess it must depend on the area you are in.

• Advertisement

Hope all the May babies had a good Christmas and that Santa came :-)

Happy new year to all the May babies and mams! I'm back in work a month from tomorrow, he'll be 9 months old. Looking forward to it on the one hand but also dreading leaving him behind. Meeting potential childminder tomorrow, I know I should have done that ages ago.
    My husband has started hobbling around without crutches and has recently changed his first nappy in almost 4 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Now that the May babies are probably on the move in some shape or form, what do you put on their feet? My fella is crawling, well, more like dragging himself along. He was wearing soft booties but they don't seem to come in a bigger size which he now needs & the pre-walker type runners seem cumbersome on his feet. Is there anything else/better?

I put Shoebees or their equivalent on all mine.Mostly to give them some traction on timber floors.They come in "sizes" 0-6, 6-12 & 12-18months.They are just soft leather "shoes" with a suede "sole" and don't restrict their feet in any way.There's no need really for anything more than that til they are fairly well established in standing and walking a bit.My little man has not conquered crawling yet....he is pushing onto all fours but flops on his tummy!!!He is definitely moving around though, kind of dragging himself a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Anyone having trouble with solids? Mine will eat the milupa cereals and fruit yogurt pots but won't eat dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

RubyXI wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with solids? Mine will eat the milupa cereals and fruit yogurt pots but won't eat dinners.

My guy will eat purees but isn’t a fan of the lumpier ones and not a fan of meat at all. He does like finger food and loves toast. Gonna try meat/fish again tomorrow as I gave him a break for a couple of weeks. Not sure what to do if he refuses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Now that the May babies are probably on the move in some shape or form, what do you put on their feet? My fella is crawling, well, more like dragging himself along. He was wearing soft booties but they don't seem to come in a bigger size which he now needs & the pre-walker type runners seem cumbersome on his feet. Is there anything else/better?

Just socks here. 8 months old and creeping. Has no problem getting into everything. No need for shoes yet.

Anything resembling shoes last max a minute on his feet so I just stick with socks at the moment. He's rolling and rolling but not crawling or pulling himself up. We met his second cousin at the weekend, one day older, she's pulling herself up, getting about in a lot of different ways. He has his phn check on Tuesday, not clapping hands (or waving) yet, I think it's one of the questions they ask? Not worried about him at all, I know every baby is different.
    We are doing baby led weaning so skipped the purees though I have tried him with some yoghurt. We try to cook dinners that he can eat a piece of, and he's always enthusiastic but a lot does still end up on the floor. I don't mind, but hope he's not too much trouble for childminder, she says the other baby she has is doing blw too. God, I'm really not looking forward to having to prepare and send food with him. He has a half day with her Thursday, see how it goes.

Socks are a struggle, our man removes his at any opportunity....I foresee his little booties being chewed to bits in a day or two!!!!There is no hand clapping or anything here either Kastasia, it will come as you say (plus girls seem to be a little bit ahead, as a very general rule). We are going ok on the food here, although he gags a lot on bits of rice cake etc, so I don't give him too much of that.We are mostly purees, although he gets chunks of steamed carrots and parsnip, or pasta etc. at tea, and I do feed him chunks of salmon etc .off my own fork.He also likes a tablespoon of rice on his tray to scoop up with his fingers and send everywhere!!And raspberries- I have started breaking them into bitesize chunks and letting him pick them up.Tiny bits of grape too, although I really have to hand them to him because they are too small and slippy for his fingers to manage.He isn't mad on the chicken purees but we'll see how that goes-but he loves bolognese and pasta.I end up kind of doing a combo of baby led weaning and purees once they are past the initial stages of weaning.

Feeding babies and kids is a mess no matter what.I am heading back soon too Kastasia, ugh.

Thanks Shesty, I'd never seen Shoobees before. They're lovely & exactly what I'd like. All sold out online though but will keep an eye out for them again.

• Advertisement

There are similar type ones around sausagedog, you tend to find them in boutique type shops or sometimes tkmaxx.
    I know Jojamanbebe stock booties like them, you will see then onlime and I am sure there are other ones-just can't think of them off top of my head!!

Yeah, I've ordered a pair from one of the stockists on their website, Mods & Minis...I think. Tnx a mil

Kastasia, how did your trial with your minder go?I sent our little man over today with his sister to ours...wasn't entirely successful, but fingers crossed it will all work out here.

It was fine, but it was only 4 hours and I think he slept for half of it. He didn't take much milk and had just a muffin or so, but again, he'd had a big feed before...but he looked happy, was playing with the other baby. Is yours a childminder you've used before?
    I think the big test will be Monday week when I'll leave him for a day. The main thing I'm worried about is the eating /drinking, but I think he'll adapt. Though I'm going to find it so much more difficult preparing food in advance.
    Also, does anybody use a play pen? We don't have one, but think it might be handy in the kitchen, especially when either of us is at home alone with him and needs to prepare food. (ok, thinking more of my husband, as he'll be watching him roughly 5-7 and it would be great if he could cook before I get home 😂😂)

Yes it's our usual minder.He was there most of the "day"....so most of what he will be there when I go back.He can be a bit clingy so he wasn't terrible but he didn't settle well to sleep for her.But it's early days yet.I don't use a playpen tbh, just sit him on the floor beside me.You get used to cooking under pressure, you pre-cook a few days worth of meals when possible, or leave a slow cooker on all day.That's just how it works here.Give him some plastic dishes and a wooden spoon or a couple of toys and cook something quick, is my method!!

Just dropped him off for first full day. Back to work Thursday 😭😭.

Best of luck Kastasia!It's coming at me quick too, another couple of weeks.Looks like we need a new minder, too. :-(
    It's a tough time, go easy on yourself.

We lasted until 3. Got a text at 1 saying he was fretting and missing me, but then soon after that he was OK and then that he was having a nap so I went to pick him up once he woke up. I know he'll just have to get used to this new phase and it seems like he's happy enough, just every now and then remembers me and notices in bit there, but just hard to think about.

It is hard, better not to think about it. In some ways it's easier once you're back at work because you don't have time to think about it. I always feel really weird when I'm at home and the kids are in the minders, I really miss them (while equally enjoying the time alone in my own house....) . It's very bittersweet.

• Advertisement

Good luck today Kastasia! Little man will be delighted to see you later and tomorrow is Friday :) Don't expect too much of yourself the first while.

Advertisement