Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2017-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Left work at 2.30 here in Cork city and have been following lighting all the way home. Back in west Cork now and the wind is howling. Lighting still to the north west , macroom millstreet I reckon from my spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

riggerman wrote: »
    Left work at 2.30 here in Cork city and have been following lighting all the way home. Back in west Cork now and the wind is howling. Lighting still to the north west , macroom millstreet I reckon from my spot.

The esb will be delighted!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

riggerman wrote: »

Yup, getting loud thunder here just outside Macroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Thunder and lightening here in west tipp just after 3 am, loudest thunder I've heard in a long time, and the lightening was lightening up the room. Took out power in some local areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Loads of lightning strikes all over Munster, looking at the map. None in Cork city though.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php

• Advertisement

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Some thunder and lightening in the mid west part of Ireland in the past hour. There are postings about on the Storm Eleanor thread.

Lots over Munster

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php

Winds picking up and more lightning in Cork city

Few flashes, seemed way off to the south, no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

loudest thunder I've heard in a long time

That's what alerted me. Happy out watching Transformers on my tablet, headphones in, volume to max when I heard what I thought was an explosion. Took out the buds and my heart nearly stopped with the volume of the thunder. And there it goes again..we luckily have a dog who doesn't react to thunder, also snoring her head off beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thunder and lightening here in west tipp just after 3 am, loudest thunder I've heard in a long time, and the lightening was lightening up the room. Took out power in some local areas.

Just had that same bout about 20min ago. Not sure about lightning but thunder strong, still blowing strong too. West Waterford Tipp border area.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Some roaring thunder and lightning in Sligo town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Period of loud and long lasting thunder and lightning after 3.20 am last night. Deafening peals of rolling thunder interspersed with cracks of very bright lightening. First wave followed by heavy bands of hail and strengening wind.

130 m asl North Cork / Limerick / Tipperary border.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Just outside Sligo Town,that has to be the worst lightning i have seen in a long time.
    The thunder was about 3 to 4 seconds after so it had to be very close.
    Lights went came back after a couple of seconds but i can hear a few house alarms going off.
    Stay safe folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Couple of rumbles here in last 10 mins. Blitzordnung showing a few strikes at sea south of Kinsale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

So entering into a right mix of weather over the coming week with plenty of convective potential it would seem from laterMonday and more so on Tues. Could be some big hail showers with severe gusts at times I would imagine. Most of the sferics over water perhaps with some thunderstorms straying inland. Will the strong winds bring activity further inland ?

yQj19kj.png

FiyiKGs.png

9EJi3T0.png

2F3n4sa.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The AROME can be quite good at picking up convective gusts as below for later tomorrow.

tempresult_qkj7.gif

tempresult_sza9.gif

5apnTAw.png?1

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Tue 16 Jan 2018 06:00 to Wed 17 Jan 2018 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 15 Jan 2018 20:10
    Forecaster: DAFIS

A level 1 was issued for parts of Ireland, UK, France, Benelux and Germany mainly for severe convective wind gusts.

A level 1 was issued for Croatia mainly for severe wind gusts and tornadoes.

DISCUSSION

A large low-pressure system with its core over Iceland in combination with the Azores High create a vigorous wind field in NW-W and Central Europe. A negatively tilted trough over the North Sea brings polar maritime air masses over continental Europe, with a strong jet configuration at the W-SW side of the trough, with a noteworthy jet streak of 80 m/s wind speed at 500 hPa (as forecast for Tuesday evening SW from Ireland). In the eastern parts of the continent, a cut-off low over Ukraine is gradually pushed north by the approaching trough from the west and the high-pressure system in Russia. Rather steep lapse rates in the Aegean Sea result in some hundreds of CAPE, where non-severe thunderstorms are expected.

This jet configuration in NW Europe brings 25-30 m/s of non-convective winds at 850 hPa according to GFS over France, Benelux and Germany where limited convective phenomena are expected but they will able to produce severe or damaging convective wind gusts at the surface. Apart from the wind gusts, which will continue to be the main threat also on Wednesday, locally large amounts of graupel are expected in the aforementioned countries. In the early morning of Wednesday, storms in N Adriatic Sea may become severe as the leading edge of the approaching trough brings high values of PVA, along with cold mid-levels which create steep lapse rates with 300 J/kg CAPE or more. Overlapping strong DLS and LLS may enhance convection near the coasts of Croatia, where a level 1 has been issued for severe wind gusts and tornadoes. Excessive precipitation will also be a threat in mountainous areas but later in the morning of Wednesday.

Should be sparks tomorrow especially in the NW / W and over the Irish sea. Will be interesting to see how far inland they get .

nmm_uk1-6-21-4_wek9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Thunder, lightning and now heavy hail here in Shannon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tony H

Some nice flashes and rumbles across Cork harbour at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder and lightning near Carraroe Co Galway

• Advertisement

A lot of lightning activity today, a few recent strikes in Kerry.

r4gZRv8.png

wcl2z9n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Spotted a big flash coming from the Kerry direction.

Flash of lightning here near Tralee. Huge convective blustery showers of hail and some very big pieces of hail just now.

kBm53sV.jpg?1

The young fella assisting :)

t72yhdE.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely big flash followed quickly by a rumble of thunder.

And just before I post another one with an even bigger rumble.

Large hail now after he ground is already covered by a wet snow/graupel mix. No proper snow but interesting all the same.

And third flash :)

Colder uppers over warm SST's giving the instability to the passage of troughs tomorrow producing convective cloud with hail and possibly some thunderstorms along the NW and W and a few straying inland maybe.

tempresult_lzt5.gif

vU1u6Gt.gif

K2A6sWH.png

hmcjXWA.png

tempresult_itq9.gif

tempresult_pqu0.gif

Not many sferics showing up. A lot of hail and wintry showers in Kerry and blustery at times but good spells of sunshine also.

Netweather

DbYnPMy.png

5ilGXte.png?1

Storm Forecast
    Valid: Tue 23 Jan 2018 06:00 to Wed 24 Jan 2018 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 22 Jan 2018 22:42
    Forecaster: DAFIS

No threat levels have been issued for convective phenomena.

DISCUSSION

The long-wave trough over East Europe is slightly intensifying the next few hours by means of PVA, placed more to the south on Tuesday, towards Balkans as a short-wave trough on its left periphery runs from Central Europe towards Greece in less than a 24-hr period. In the West, a ridge has built-up, bringing warm and moist air masses up to Scandinavia. A polar air mass is expected to migrate from N Atlantic towards the Ireland, UK and Scandinavian coasts, bringing damaging winds, heavy non-convective rainfall and then a sudden temperature drop which is of our interest, since it creates some steep lapse rates aloft. Some CAPE is forecast to be formed over the aforementioned areas, resulting in swallow convection (no more than 4-5 km cloud depths) but able to create ligthnings. The jet streak ahead of the cold front will exclude this convection to be fed by DLS, so we do not expect organized convection in the cold sector of the low-pressure system between Iceland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway Bay fm newsroom – Residents in Roundstone will be without a church over the coming days after a lightning strike caused damage to Our Lady Star of the Sea Church.
    The strike happened in the early hours of this morning during high winds and heavy rainfall from Storm Georgina.
    Our Lady Star of the Sea Church in Roundstone is perched on the edge of the Atlantic in West Connemara.
    At around 6 this morning, during the tail end of Storm Georgina, the bell tower of the church suffered a direct lightning strike.
    The impact damaged the building’s electrical wiring and cracked the exterior of the bell tower.
    Parish Priest Father Kyzysztof Sikora says experts are being brought in to assess the damage – but the building will be closed until further notice.
    He’s hopeful the church will re-open by Sunday – and in the meantime, mass will be said in the local community hall.
    The adverse weather this morning also resulted in a number of collisions and crashes on routes across Galway.
    The M17 motorway from Tuam to the Rathmorrisey junction was closed in both directions for a time to allow emergency services clear the scenes of several collisions.
    No-one was seriously injured in any of the incidents.
    The storm also resulted in power outages in Roundstone, Recess, Moycullen and Furbo for a few hours, but ESB crews have since fixed the faults and restored the power supply.

Some pretty loud thunder in Galway City at 6.30am today as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lightning very close by, nice long rumble followed by driving hailstones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement