Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so may Irish people begin sentences with ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I hate it when people say "Listen".....and then Fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

bobbyss wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest with you it is only now that I know what clickbait means. I did that because I thought that the thread title wouldn't fit in. That's how little I know. I will try and change that if I am able. Apologies for that as it annoys me too!

'To be perfectly honest with you...'

Straight away I know that they are going to lie through their teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Actually.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,779 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Post colonial distress disorder. They all have low self esteem due to it, so don't have confidence in their own knowledge opinions.

Love the way 'post-colonialism' is an explanation for everything, as if the British administration packed up 2 or 3 years ago. It's only been almost a century...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Love the way 'post-colonialism' is an explanation for everything, as if the British administration packed up 2 or 3 years ago. It's only been almost a century...

Its more an issue in some other countries- where its trotted out pretty much on a daily basis in the media- such as Australia and New Zealand (not to mention the staggering animosity between the pair- which is a whole other story).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Its more an issue in some other countries- where its trotted out pretty much on a daily basis in the media- such as Australia and New Zealand (not to mention the staggering animosity between the pair- which is a whole other story).

I suppose you are both right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

brianomc wrote: »
    Look....at the end of the day........it is what it is........you know that way

But having said that, it is what it is, going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

IT is very common to hear Australians start a sentence with "look"...I would think it's more commonplace there than here to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

"But in fairness"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Maggie thatcher used both a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah sure lookit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

You hear it on the TV a lot from people doing interviews on the spot on live TV. Mainly GAA sports people as it happens. But they just want to do the actual sport they are involved in and probably don't enjoy or want to do these interviews afterwards. Maybe they feel uncomfortable by being forced to do this sort of braindead media-noise $hite, just to fill a few more minutes until the next ad break. They know they are being put on the spot doing something that isn't their trade or expertise, they are sporting athlete's not media spokespersons. To say 'many Irish people' begin sentences like this is absolute wollix. Nobody I know in real life starts to speak to me in the genuine, natural real world like that. If some RTE lackey walked up to me in the street for a vox pop, I'd also start off my sentence with "Listen" or "Look it" followed by "F**k the F**k off"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Low Tech Shoes

Do you hear me looking at you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

bobbyss wrote: »
    Tried to change it but on my phone in edit it only let's me change the post not the title. Maybe on a computer it may allow me. Fkcu. I am more annoyed at that than people beginning sentences with Look and Listen.

Hit 'Go advanced' and you can change the title there, I think, if you're on the legacy site.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is your sarcasm detector broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Do you hear me looking at you?

you'll have to speak up, im wearing a towel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Had a job once that required taking notes of what people were saying in lectures. I tended to write as they spoke (in case by shortening as I wrote, I missed out on something important or failed to make a connection explicit), pretty automatically and one thing I found when it came to cleaning it up is the amount of well-spoken people who start EVERY DAMN SENTENCE WITH "So," which I've automatically typed and now need to root out and change any grammar that relied on it being there.

Advertisement