Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do so may Irish people begin sentences with ...

Options
  • 31-08-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

'Look ... ' and 'Listen ...'

I find this very patronising. As if the person being spoken to is not listening or paying attention.

Chief culprits? Mainly sports people as it happens. Roy Keane. Aiden O''Brien. And every second GAA player that you hear .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Click bait threads are a whole lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why do so many boardsies start threads with clickbait titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Look....at the end of the day........it is what it is........you know that way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Click bait threads are a whole lot worse.

To be perfectly honest with you it is only now that I know what clickbait means. I did that because I thought that the thread title wouldn't fit in. That's how little I know. I will try and change that if I am able. Apologies for that as it annoys me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bobbyss wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest with you it is only now that I know what clickbait means. I did that because I thought that the thread title wouldn't fit in. That's how little I know. I will try and change that if I am able. Apologies for that as it annoys me too!

Listen, it will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Why do so many start sentences with "so.............."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭blackbox

"Listen" - from Irish "Eistigí"

Colloquial.

Tried to change it but on my phone in edit it only let's me change the post not the title. Maybe on a computer it may allow me. Fkcu. I am more annoyed at that than people beginning sentences with Look and Listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If "look" and "listen" bother OP there must be alot more. The only solution I can think of is to get it all translated to another language

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Look-it, it'll be grand, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

The first sportspeople I heard starting sentences with 'Look', when being interviewed, were Australian cricketers. That was at least ten years ago, so how that particular locution travelled from Tasmania to Thurles is anyone's guess.
    Ozmosis perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

According to The retired mountjoy governor lonergan most inmates say 'are you listening' all the time

feargale wrote:
    If "look" and "listen" bother OP there must be alot more. The only solution I can think of is to get it all translated to another language

It's not the actual words but the mentality behind it, ie I am a voice of authority so really focus on what I am saying because it's really more important than what you have to say. Am disappointed Aiden O' Brien used 'Listen' a lot as he really is someone I admire.

It's strange but I don't hear British people use this so readily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

d'ya know that kinda way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Tried to change it but on my phone in edit it only let's me change the post not the title. Maybe on a computer it may allow me. Fkcu. I am more annoyed at that than people beginning sentences with Look and Listen.

Look, we are where we are now. However, going forward you can remedy the thread title problem by thinking outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Look, we are where we are now. However, going forward you can remedy the thread title problem by thinking outside the box.

No.Take a quantum leap through a window of opportunity. This thread could initiate a sea change.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Stop. Look. Listen.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

All right stop, Collaborate and listen 
    Ice is back with my brand new invention…

Well going forward I must improve my posting skills set. Perhaps some blue cloud thinking is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

I lived abroad for a number of years. Main thing I've noticed since coming back is Irish people (particularly in a business context) starting sentences with "I suppose" wouldn't fill you with confidence would it?! You wouldn't trust a doctor who said "I suppose" you have cancer....

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

People starting sentences with "Whatchu call it..." does my head in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I distest people saying "Going forward"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'd only someone had of started a sentence with "Look, Listen," maybe poor Jimmy wouldn't have been hit by that bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

franglan wrote: »
    I lived abroad for a number of years. Main thing I've noticed since coming back is Irish people (particularly in a business context) starting sentences with "I suppose" wouldn't fill you with confidence would it?! You wouldn't trust a doctor who said "I suppose" you have cancer....

Post colonial distress disorder. They all have low self esteem due to it, so don't have confidence in their own knowledge opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I find this very patronising. As if the person being spoken to is not listening or paying attention.

So sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

It doesn't mean someone is commanding you to listen. It is a non word that is used to set the tone of what follows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

blackbox wrote: »
    "Listen" - from Irish "Eistigí"

Colloquial.

Depends on the age group and where they're from- the American 'Yo!' is becomming remarkably popular too.........

The only use I've ever seen of 'Éistigí' was from a teacher- seems to be a perenial favourite with them.........

Another popular one is 'Hoy!- you!' and its variants.........

Or- indeed- there is the good old- give them a thump to get their attention and then tell them what you want to tell them (and hope, if they thump you back, it doesn't hurt too much...........) Mind you- this variant is probably what starts a lot of fights after some alcohol has been consumed.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Chief culprits? Mainly sports people as it happens. Roy Keane. Aiden O''Brien. And every second GAA player that you hear .

Why do a lot of people think these (and others) are only Irish traits? And I despise the "Only in Ireland..." brigade. The stuff they describe probably happens the world over, or at least in the western world.

We're not the only ones to do it, though (which backs up my argument). I was watching a programme or film recently where something in particular had happened, and one of the characters said "Only in Oxford!". How's that for specific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

It can be patronising I think, its all about the tone in how it's said. Sometimes it's casually thrown in of course. But if that 'look' or 'listen' at the start of the sentence is said in a way that is bordering on belittling, there's no point finishing it. I'd be already trying to think of different ways of killing you.

Advertisement