Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How prepared are you for an emergency situation?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

MIL has a stock pile of canned goods since as far back as the partner can remember. think it just in some people to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Anyone saving the Iodine tablets needn't bother they have gone out of date. http://www.thejournal.ie/iodine-tablets-wont-be-sent-out-again-2157770-Jun2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

2 bottles of Jameson and 10 x 12 pack of Aldi Galahad lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I have about 469 pens lurking about in secret corners of my bag in case of a writing emergency. Anything else and I'm fcuked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone saving the Iodine tablets needn't bother they have gone out of date. http://www.thejournal.ie/iodine-tablets-wont-be-sent-out-again-2157770-Jun2015/

news just in

Germans in Aachen get free iodine amid Belgium nuclear fears
    The western German city of Aachen has started issuing free iodine tablets to some 500,000 residents and people living nearby because an ageing Belgian nuclear plant is seen as a risk.

People can register on the city website to receive coupons exchangeable at pharmacies stocking the pills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The best before / use by dates on medicines tend to be a quality control things rather than a safety thing. The date is the date beyond which the pharmaceutical company no longer guarantees that it will deliver the stated dosage - as time goes by, the pill will gradually degrade (partially dependent on how it is stored).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

caniask86 wrote: »
    Epi pen
    inhaler
    Oxegen finger monitor

The fact that you've got these means that you either personally need 'em, or have some training which would let you use them on others.

In this country, my bag has very little: phone, pen, paper, lipstick. Not overly useful.

When I've lived in earthquake prone countries, my house has contained three days of drinking water in plastic bottles (changed every six months) and a grab bag (cleverly kept as a summer camping kit!). And my desk at work had bottled water (no to much, 'cos not so much space), and spare warm clothing and sensible shoes.

A few good jolts gets the old what's-the-plan-stan thinking into gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Unopened boxes of iodine tablets around the house.

Best before date....use by date?

I have a spare tampon, a multi-tool, a Werthers Original, and a can-do attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Candie wrote: »
    I have a spare tampon, a multi-tool, a Werthers Original, and a can-do attitude.
    ....with a pen and some duct tape you're ready for anything from a dam breach to an alien invasion....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Neames wrote: »
    Best before date....use by date?
    If one of the reactors over in Wales starts venting I won't be too worried about the date, or the "external use only" warning on the Tincture of Iodine bottle, in fact seaweed from anywhere but the Irish Sea would start looking tasty.

Advertisement