Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How prepared are you for an emergency situation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I've got my towel and some peanuts. Reckon I'm ready for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I have a single clean sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

caniask86 wrote: »
    I was reading an old thread last night about what's in your bag and it made me think. I'm a worrier and a bit of an over prepared person in general. So the
    contents of my bag are a bit weird. What do you have in your bag, car or house that would help in an emergency situation?

My bag and car have as follows,

Epi pen
    inhaler
    Oxegen finger monitor
    Wrist blood pressure monitor
    Anti histimins
    Painkillers
    Xanax
    Zantac
    Battery charger
    Spare clothes
    Water
    Suncream
    Phone
    Bandaids
    Spare wheel
    Window smasher if under water
    Oil
    Jump leads
    Antifreeze
    Another epi pen in car

What's in your bag, car or house for an emergency situation?

I forgot to add the list for me house

Antibiotics
    Painkillers
    Burn cream
    Idoine spray
    Eye wash
    Antibiotic cream
    Bandages
    Heat rub
    Cool patches
    Eye rinse
    Fire alarms
    Carbon dioxide alarm
    Fire extinguisher
    Fire blanket
    Emergency numbers
    Medical book

Are you Mr. Bean or Mrs. Bean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

It's possible I may be too over prepared and a weirdo. Need more food for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thinly veiled "I'm American and voted for Trump thread"

• Advertisement

Thinly veiled "I'm American and voted for Trump thread"

Couldn't be more wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Pens, lipgloss, a Victoria secrets bodyspray, bottle of perfume, spare pair of socks, hairbrush and hair bands, panadol, a disposable glove, few lipsticks and eyedrops

I am not surprised at any of that but I am intrigued with the disposable glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Presumably so she doesn't get her hand dirty when she's wiping her arse with the spare pair of socks.

I can't sleep so I might as well try and recall what's in the handbag and car that might come in handy in an emergency situation.

Handbag.

Car keys
    Phone
    Inhaler.
    Nail scissors.

Car.

Baby vice grips
    Selection of flat and phillips screwdrivers
    New roll of black duct tape (Aldi finest)
    Inhaler
    Selection of shopping bags
    Selection of coats shoes swimming gear and a pair of wellies.
    Road map and Car manual.
    Durrow Abbey holy water.
    Knock holy water and a bottle from Fatima my neighbour gave me a few years ago.
    CD's
    Painkillers.
    Roll of kitchen paper.

I wondet should I add a bottle of flat 7up just to be sure to be sure :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I run a struggling business, self employed, drive on the N7 daily, I have twin girls aged 2, and my mother in law lives with us part time.
    C'mon North Korea!!!!!!! Do it!!! I'm ready!

• Advertisement

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    I can't sleep so I might as well try and recall what's in the handbag and car that might come in handy in an emergency situation.

Handbag.

Car keys
    Phone
    Inhaler.
    Nail scissors.

Car.

Baby vice grips
    Selection of flat and phillips screwdrivers
    New roll of black duct tape (Aldi finest)
    Inhaler
    Selection of shopping bags
    Selection of coats shoes swimming gear and a pair of wellies.
    Road map and Car manual.
    Durrow Abbey holy water.
    Knock holy water and a bottle from Fatima my neighbour gave me a few years ago.
    CD's
    Painkillers.
    Roll of kitchen paper.

I wondet should I add a bottle of flat 7up just to be sure to be sure :-)

My kind of person lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

My kind of person lol

You'd be clearly able to identify your son's clothes for a quick exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My bag and car have as follows
    Don't forget:
    * Gas mask - for dealing with chemical spillages, excess smoke, etc. (see below).
    * A blanket - useful for picnics or if the vehicle breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you need to keep warm.
    * A large cardboard box - this can be used to carry things or you can flatten it so you can lay it on the ground when changing a tyre or inspecting under the vehicle. In desperation, it can be used as kindling to set the car on fire to keep you warm.
    * A large, heavy-duty plastic bag - this can be used to preempt or deal with leaky containers, especially of paint. Can double as a rainproof jacket. Also useful for concealing bodies.
    * A shovel - need I go on.
    Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Baby vice grips
    What part of a baby do you adjust with vice grips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

No car.

At home I have... a box of plasters and a near empty pack of panadol.

Victor wrote: »

What part of a baby do you adjust with vice grips?

My dainty little hands can only use a mini or baby vice grips as they're known around here, when opening a baby Powers when out hiking ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

if I'm out and about and have to touch something manky. Like hold onto a rail on the red line or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read an article about the london floods back in the 50's. It was caused by a huge storm surge in the north sea and it's responsible for the Thames barrier being built. A guy in the article was saying that it could technically happen again and everyone should have a "grab bag" for emergencies. This isea is to have enough basics to last until the waters recede or until you get evacuated. Just some basic clothes and food. Nothing fancy, just enough to fit into a small backpack.

I don't have one. I do have a bum bag at home filled with medical supplies. It's from backpacking and it made sure I never needed to go to a dodgy third world pharmacy (I never wore it, It was always in my rucksack but it was a handy container). I also have loads of thermal and waterproof gear. Once again it's from backpacking and hiking. I think I could probably assemble a decent grab bag in about 10 minutes.

I don't drive though, so I might need to steal a bicycle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I remember looking up the Heinrich maneuver on youtube and watching it several times... both the one for adults, and the one for kids... I thought I was prepared, I was anything but.

When a family member started choking, I panicked and totally forgot everything you are supposed to do.. I just ended up whacking them on the back like an idiot. It only lasted 30 seconds and the person was ok, but it showed me that you only think you are prepared, until it really hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Car: First aid kit and one of those multitools with 20 blades and a screwdiver and saw and all that, which is probably useless.

Home: Fire extinguisher, first aid kid, various stuff in medicine cabinet.

No food or water stored though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I think you may be over worrying OP.

• Advertisement

I remember looking up the Heinrich maneuver on youtube and watching it several times... both the one for adults, and the one for kids... I thought I was prepared, I was anything but.

To be fair I can't see how this is going to help someone choking.

973061730-heinrich-himmler-uniforme-de-las-ss-soldado-de-la-ss-schutzstaffel.jpg

In my handbag I have a few bills, lipstick, hairbrush, sunglasses, sweets and painkillers, 2 packets of cigarettes, 2 lighters.

In my car I have a couple of sheets (have to go back to shop), roll of Christmas wrapping paper, more sunglasses, pair of shoes, screenwash.

I'm ready!

The sweets will keep my blood sugar up and fight off the thirst.

The sheets can be made into togas.

I have a change of shoes.

I can set fire to the wrapping paper to signal for help or get a heat.

Okay, I'd only last a day or so but if the emergency or disaster is any longer than that we're probably all fcuked anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Grayson wrote: »
    To be fair I can't see how this is going to help someone choking.

973061730-heinrich-himmler-uniforme-de-las-ss-soldado-de-la-ss-schutzstaffel.jpg

oops... I meant Heimlich.... not Heinrich :pac:

pilly wrote: »
    In my handbag I have a few bills, lipstick, hairbrush, sunglasses, sweets and painkillers, 2 packets of cigarettes, 2 lighters.

In my car I have a couple of sheets (have to go back to shop), roll of Christmas wrapping paper, more sunglasses, pair of shoes, screenwash.

I'm ready!

The sweets will keep my blood sugar up and fight off the thirst.

The sheets can be made into togas.

I have a change of shoes.

I can set fire to the wrapping paper to signal for help or get a heat.

Okay, I'd only last a day or so but if the emergency or disaster is any longer than that we're probably all fcuked anyway. :)

After 24 hours you'd need a weapon so you can kill people for their cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The only emergency situation I'm prepared for is a zombie epidemic. I have a hurley under my bed should the need arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If it can be fixed with a plaster, I'm prepared for it.

Well, if it can be fixed by a single 2" plaster, I'm prepared.

Grayson wrote: »
    After 24 hours you'd need a weapon so you can kill people for their cigarettes.

I'm sure there's a jack in the car as well. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have a cousin in the army and told me that every single barracks has a plan to make themselves stand alone in the event of catastrophic emergency.
    No ones supposed to know cause it includes killing civilians if necessary,

'Scuse me , door be.................

• Advertisement

Is the government bunker in Athlone still
    'Operational' so to speak.

I think if there's ever any disaster or invasion on this island, it's gonna be every man for himself.

The only thing that bothers me really is a major accident at Sellafield.

Advertisement