Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you judge somone by what they drive

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Lots of car companies now offer free servicing/warranties(For a good few years) when purchasing new cars. I've no issue with people buying new cars every year but I do judge people a little when they buy a car with zero spec, steel wheels, poor trims, basic dull coulour choice, cheapest engines(Which sometimes cost them more to run) just so they can have a new number plate.
    Imo, if a number plate is a cherry to some people, then knock yourself out. It's only if the 172 is being used to show that the owner is somehow 'better' than an 06 owner, that i'd consider them to be a turd.
    Cars, numberplates and status symbols were never appealing to me but some people like having them. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

If they don't arrive in a commercial vehicle like this one, they ain't welcome to do any nixers or odd jobs for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I know a senior atourney in Toronto who drives an 04 Toyota Corolla. He prefers to spend his money on other things.. plus there is no point in owning a car in Toronto if you live down town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm contemplating buying myself a 159 and the looks I'm getting at work when they ask me what I'm planning on getting.
    Asking me to show them the link of the one I'm interested in and then criticizing it non stop.
    I can just see that if I do get it I'll be forever mocked for it... could I give a ****e? Nope :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I hate our registration plate system. Gives some people an air of smugness to have a brand bew car in the driveway every year. Makes others feel inadequate. Sad but true that people take the year of the car as an indicator of wealth which leads to more unsustainable borrowing and it should be done away with.
    Which is precisely why it was brought in. It drives car sales up, which the dealers are happy with, as are the lending institutions and car manufacturers aren't exactly agin the idea. "going up the numbers" plugs into our need to keep up with the consumerist society we've built. The more recent personal finance plans where the manufacturers act as lenders drives this even more. Tell people they're safer, greener(hahaha, oh wait they're serious) and give them that dopamine hit from fitting in and going up in the world(for this year anyway) and you have the happy buyer. And monumental waste and depletion of natural resources of course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If we're talking about tradesmen, then it matters not to me what they drive or how old it is, but the general state of the vehicle both inside and out will give lots of clues about how careful they might end up being with my property when they're working in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I hate our registration plate system. Gives some people an air of smugness to have a brand bew car in the driveway every year. Makes others feel inadequate. Sad but true that people take the year of the car as an indicator of wealth which leads to more unsustainable borrowing and it should be done away with.

In other wealthy first world countries people drive 20 year well maintained cars and no such smugness exists.
    Silly of anyone to feel inadequate about a car's year (my car is nearly seven years old so I'm not coming from a particular bias).

And of course there is such smugness in other countries. More of the "Something that could happen anywhere only happens in Ireland" stuff.

Plenty of well maintained 1997 cars here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

My car is not a hairdressers one!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Alun wrote: »
    If we're talking about tradesmen, then it matters not to me what they drive or how old it is, but the general state of the vehicle both inside and out will give lots of clues about how careful they might end up being with my property when they're working in my house.

I remember a bank manager from the north saying that when he received an application for a bank loan, he would drive by the person's house that evening and have a quick look. Tidy house = tidy mind = tidy business.

The state of the house gave him a measure of the person's character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

A new-ish clean van looks best imo. No UK reg though...when they pull in the yard, we rush to hunt them out.

Because they might be travellers I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Couldn't give a crap what they drive as long as they get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tradesmen's vehicles can be on building sites or other places where damage can be done easily. They're often broken into by thieves trying to steal tools. It's not fair to judge them on that. I suppose I'd want a tradesman who does a tidy job, minds his tools and manages his site well. That would be reflected in their van, even if it was an old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A new-ish clean van looks best imo. No UK reg though...when they pull in the yard, we rush to hunt them out.

8617ad5e5dc392648e911f084b5c118f0485e7f8d698dc96af57e206bb58f91c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Spider Web wrote: »
    Silly of anyone to feel inadequate about a car's year (my car is nearly seven years old so I'm not coming from a particular bias).

And of course there is such smugness in other countries. More of the "Something that could happen anywhere only happens in Ireland" stuff.

Plenty of well maintained 1997 cars here too.

I agree its silly but it exists and is much more prevalent with our number plate system. As another poster aluded to we have sadly built a consumerist society where ones wealth is measured on the assets they appear to own.

Also on the well maintained 1997 cars, many insurance companies are beginning to refuse to insure cars over 10 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also on the well maintained 1997 cars, many insurance companies are beginning to refuse to insure cars over 10 years.
    If only there was some way to get people to have older cars tested annually ...

Advertisement