Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you judge somone by what they drive

Options
  • 28-08-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

there is a debate in one of the construction groups on Facebook that it talking about work vans and whether it is better to rock up to a customers house to price a job in a clapped out van or a new van or somewhere in between

basically they are a few opinions.
    old clapped out van ,some customer think that if you cant have a decent van then your not worth employing
    middle of the road van.
    new van. customer can think that you will charge too much

what would you prefer 27 votes

new ish van
    0% 0 votes
    clapped out old van
    40% 11 votes
    middle of the road van
    3% 1 vote
    dont care
    55% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'd have reservations if a plumber arrived up in an ice cream van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I feel discriminated against because I drive a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Your Face wrote: »

Agree,nothing worse than a curly sh1t blocking up the jacks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Fully came in expecting a rant about BMW drivers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

entropi wrote: »

probably should have a flash car option too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A van is a van to me. I wouldn't have a monkeys if its new or old and could you be arsed looking at the reg to see the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

my current car is so embarrassing i won't name it,

i'm happy driving the ring out of it on back roads but it's pretty ffing embarrassing ,

genuinely one of the worst cars i've ever seen on irish roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

A new-ish clean van looks best imo. No UK reg though...when they pull in the yard, we rush to hunt them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

WHAT they drive - no
    HOW they drive - yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

entropi wrote: »
    It seems to be increasingly Audi drivers nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your Face wrote: »
    I couldn't help thinking of a Mario Brothers cross over

They're Justified, and they're Ancient and they drive ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Don't care much, but now that you mention it, if a tradesman or builder turns up with one of these gleaming American pick up trucks, I'll think that a) they're loaded, not good news for me as a customer, b) they're young and don't spend their money very wisely, which doesn't bode well for my low budget target.(ie. They'll try and convince me to opt for the most fancy options when I'm looking for something cheap and cheerful)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The best builders live in shîtholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Jesus christ the boom is back!
    If my builder doesn't arrive in a gold and diamond encrusted hummer I tell him to f*ck off he's a waste of space, and fire bottles of Dom Perignon 52 rare at him untill he f*cks off away from my 50 foot tall golden eagles on the pillars of my mansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

You lost me at Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Do you judge somebody by what they drive?

No.

That'd be like something you'd expect from those fjcking Audi Drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

The only time I become concerned at the sight of a van near my property is when I realise its occupants are members of our very own ethnic minority community.

Generally, there is an occruance of theft, intimidation, attempted fraud or illegal dumping in the vacinity shortly after.

As for tradesmen. It wouldn't bother me what they were driving. Most come recommended so you know what you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

there is a debate in one of the construction groups on Facebook that it talking about work vans and whether it is better to rock up to a customers house to price a job in a clapped out van or a new van or somewhere in between

basically they are a few opinions.
    old clapped out van ,some customer think that if you cant have a decent van then your not worth employing
    middle of the road van.
    new van. customer can think that you will charge too much

They'd better never need a mechanic because they drive some of the biggests heaps on the road, not a generalisation as I know plenty of mechanics along with several plumbers who have had leaking taps in their home for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Nope. The most gifted stonemason I know drives a clapped out '93 Carina. His drives are short and his tools are relatively light, so I'm sure he sees little reason to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Del2005 wrote: »
    They'd better never need a mechanic because they drive some of the biggests heaps on the road, not a generalisation as I know plenty of mechanics along with several plumbers who have had leaking taps in their home for years!

that's the joys of being a tradesman . your a bit sick of it when you get home and don't want to get your tools out again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If someone drives a new van I think they must charge accordingly. If its a middle aged van but well looked after I think there's someone who is skillful, and careful, and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Interesting question. I'd probably say:

An aul clapped out piece of crap and I'd probably be wary I suppose. I'd potentially think to myself he mustn't be making a lot of money and why is that? Is he a chancer/not very good etc etc.

Anything else though I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at and if said tradesman came with recommendations from friends then I wouldn't care what kind of vehicle he rocked up in. Back home in Kerry the local fellas could arrive on a tractor for all I'd care because you'd know who they were and their reputation for the work they do would be well known already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I hate our registration plate system. Gives some people an air of smugness to have a brand bew car in the driveway every year. Makes others feel inadequate. Sad but true that people take the year of the car as an indicator of wealth which leads to more unsustainable borrowing and it should be done away with.

In other wealthy first world countries people drive 20 year well maintained cars and no such smugness exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not really to be honest. Not every vehicle/colour would be to my taste. I don't care about the year or a few scratches once it's in good mechanical working order.
    One thing I would slightly judge on is when people buy a new car every year with zero spec just so they can say they've a new car!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Year wouldn't matter to me , once it was kept somewhat clean and tidy.

Also when you see a tonne of invoices, empty coffee cups and general piles of ****e all over the dash and stuck in all the door pockets then you know you need to keep a close eye on this guy for costs and invoices cause he certainly ain't staying on top of it in any decent fashion. Big red flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

One thing I would slightly judge on is when people buy a new car every year with zero spec just so they can say they've a new car!

There is a degree of sense to doing this though. Resale value is high; no servicing or repair work required and you can get a new car every year for a couple of grand. Change your car every year for, say €3k or buy one every 5 years for €15k. I know one who does this. She does it for status but is also very shrewd with money. It works in her situation but maybe not for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,299 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There is a degree of sense to doing this though. Resale value is high; no servicing or repair work required and you can get a new car every year for a couple of grand. Change your car every year for, say €3k or buy one every 5 years for €15k. I know one who does this. She does it for status but is also very shrewd with money. It works in her situation but maybe not for others.

Lots of car companies now offer free servicing/warranties(For a good few years) when purchasing new cars. I've no issue with people buying new cars every year but I do judge people a little when they buy a car with zero spec, steel wheels, poor trims, basic dull coulour choice, cheapest engines(Which sometimes cost them more to run) just so they can have a new number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its better to be driving a new van for tax purposes if you can afford to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Has to be a 1983 GMC Vandura driven by a large, grumpy-looking mohawked black man. Accept no substitutes.

Advertisement