Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miraculous Sam for Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mayo - is that where mayonnaise comes from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'd say that photo will potentially fall foul of the blasphemy laws here.

It'll be an interesting proposition if anyone does complain to the Gardai. Paddy Power would get loads publicity out of it and I think despite the impression that was given on the radio today, most ordinary people would just view it as having a bit of a laugh at ourselves. And there's no harm in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

**** PaddyPower. A company that hides behind a cheeky leprechaun persona but in reality, puts people into debt and milks the working class.

Let's win this Mayo and let's put to end our wait for an AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't go out of my way to watch it myself (including changing the channel), but that said it's entertaining enough anytime I have seen a game.. certainly more so than a dull 0-0 draw in the premier league

It's more the culture of the GAA and influence on society I don't like

This culture and influence of the GAA somehow being a negative on Irish society is often spouted out, but doesn't stand up to any sort of critique.

An organisation that promotes exercise, team sport, and community is one that has to be admired. There are excellent sporting facilities in almost every town and village in the country, and it brings together everyone from young kids kicking their first ball, to auld lads who derive a sense of self-worth from their involvement.

It's a hugely successful organisation; they've managed to grow both of the main sports, distribute 10's of millions of gate receipts back into communities, and are widely regarded as one the most professional and well ran organisations in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

To be fair, Paddy Powers loutish sense of humor is offensive enough by itself.

I take that back...
    Mayo - is that where mayonnaise comes from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This culture and influence of the GAA somehow being a negative on Irish society is often spouted out, but doesn't stand up to any sort of critique.

An organisation that promotes exercise, team sport, and community is one that has to be admired. There are excellent sporting facilities in almost every town and village in the country, and it brings together everyone from young kids kicking their first ball, to auld lads who derive a sense of self-worth from their involvement.

It's a hugely successful organisation; they've managed to grow both of the main sports, distribute 10's of millions of gate receipts back into communities, and are widely regarded as one the most professional and well ran organisations in the country.

Well put. The GAA is a fantastic organisation. Of course it's not perfect but what is especially given its size. the amount of money generated and pumped into rural Ireland is a lesson for all sporting organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Conor McGregor has just announced that he wants to fight the Mayo team.

He declined a match with the Dublin team because they were too dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do you know what's really funny? When people say Mayo for
    Sam. And then when someone else says Dublin for Sam, Mayo for Sandwiches. I love that.

Mayo for Sambos:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Just checked and there isn't one.

Lol, great response. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I may be a Dub but I hope Mayo get the Sam. They've been waiting long enough in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bananabread12

Dublin will eat them without salt.

It'll be over in the first 5 minutes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

danganabu wrote: »
    I would worry for the Mayo players if they do win - that's 30 prime candidates for alcoholism if ever there was, when their done with ridin every young wan in the county of course.

Mayo men can behave. They leave misbehaviour to others

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What critique does someones personal dislike of the culture of the GAA have to stand up to?

Personally I don't like the culture myself, while the sport is great and its a good thing that it's played so widely and can imagine the country would be in a much worse place without it, I find it dull, often quite backwards and old style and stinks too much of the "ah sure its grand" dismissive attitude we have alot of in Ireland. That's my personal opinion on it, and I respect that many have a massive love for the GAA and really enjoy everything around it.

I don't, and I don't think there's any "critique" that is strong enough to dismiss my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I find it dull, often quite backwards and old style and stinks too much of the "ah sure its grand" dismissive attitude we have alot of in Ireland. That's my personal opinion on it, and I respect that many have a massive love for the GAA and really enjoy everything around it.

I wouldn't describe the GAA as backward , definitely 40 years ago, but not in 2017.
    They definitely don't have the dismissive attitude you describe. If they did then Croke Park would never have been revamped or would clubs around the country have improved their facilities continuously.
    In fact, I would see the GAA as a sporting organisation that is far from perfect but one that is fairly progressive.

It is a common enough theme for people who say that they hate the GAA and what is stands for and they won't watch or take part in their sports because of that.
    I'm a huge fan of soccer. However, you'll never hear someone say that FIFA, or indeed the FAI, turns them off soccer as a whole. They are two sporting organisations that stink of a much worse stench than an "ah sure its grand" dismissive attitude.

Mayo represents that insular, "let's do it for the parish" culture and tribal narrow-mindedness that has plagued not only the GAA organisation as a whole but the entirety of this country and it's people for generations while Dublin is the image of the modern, multicultural and internationally inclusively outward looking cosmopolitan Ireland that has dragged the game, albeit kicking and screaming, into the twenty first century.

Both sides represent something polar opposite to one another. This is not just a game to decide who takes a title home, it's a battle for the very future of the GAA and I for one do not wish to see the country sport being relegated to the kind of vision, or lack thereof, of an uncultured, unsophisticated riff-raff like Mayo and it's ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

For fcuks sake ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Mayo represents that insular, "let's do it for the parish" culture and tribal narrow-mindedness that has plagued not only the GAA organisation as a whole but the entirety of this country and it's people for generations while Dublin is the image of the modern, multicultural and internationally inclusively outward looking cosmopolitan Ireland that has dragged the game, albeit kicking and screaming, into the twenty first century.

Both sides represent something polar opposite to one another. This is not just a game to decide who takes a title home, it's a battle for the very future of the GAA and I for one do not wish to see the country sport being relegated to the kind of vision, or lack thereof, of an uncultured, unsophisticated riff-raff like Mayo and it's ilk.

Is it just Mayo or are all non-Dubliners of the same lower base lineage? This post is like the antithesis to the Irish Times article about insufferable Dubliners.

Fair play to Philly McMahon et al for representing the "internationally inclusively outward looking cosmopolitan Ireland" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fair play to Philly McMahon et al for representing the "internationally inclusively outward looking cosmopolitan Ireland" :D

Young Philip is a credit to this nation and a worthy role model for youngsters.

His sterling efforts at putting manners on kerrymen should also not go unacknowledged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The same city that needs Gards to protect binmen.

Is it just Mayo or are all non-Dubliners of the same lower base lineage?

Depends on attitudes and culture. There are plenty of people from rural Ireland with a modern outlook and who participate in the 21st century but the inward-looking "do it for the parish" bog standard tribalism has no place in our modern society. Countless country people will be wearing Dublin jerseys and supporting everything Dublin represents in three weeks time.
    This post is like the antithesis to the Irish Times article about insufferable Dubliners.

You mean this article whose author was actually a Dub himself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Yeah Joe Duffy was full of oul women calling Paddy Power blasphemous. It was distressing.

Why is it always women defending the church when they are clearly 2nd class citizens within it???

Is Joe Duffy actually the king of unintentional parody? An 'oul dried up holly-joe was on the same show complaining that Marty Morrisey had spoken at a mass in Knock and the horror that his top botton was undone and to make it worse he isn't even a priest:eek:. When asked by Joe if it would be acceptable for a nun to speak at mass the caller was unsure and would have to ask a priest to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Depends on attitudes and culture. There are plenty of people from rural Ireland with a modern outlook and who participate in the 21st century but the inward-looking "do it for the parish" bog standard tribalism has no place in our modern society. Countless country people will be wearing Dublin jerseys and supporting everything Dublin represents in three weeks time.

Well, hopefully the ten-or-so players on the Mayo squad who are based in Dublin can teach the rest of the panel the concept of modernity before they're up again for the final, lest they embarrass themselves with their tribal muck savage attitudes :pac:

Or should those players declare for Dublin, given how culturally evolved they are in comparison to their team mates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

You're bananas ... in three weeks time it will 31 counties hoping for one result only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Conor McGregor has just announced that he wants to fight the Mayo team.

He declined a match with the Dublin team because they were too dirty.

In the words of that Simpsons character, WORST JOKE EVER for a variety of reasons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I may be a Dub but I hope Mayo get the Sam. They've been waiting long enough in my opinion.

Nah you're no Dub with that attitude.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is Joe Duffy actually the king of unintentional parody? An 'oul dried up holly-joe was on the same show complaining that Marty Morrisey had spoken at a mass in Knock and the horror that his top botton was undone and to make it worse he isn't even a priest:eek:. When asked by Joe if it would be acceptable for a nun to speak at mass the caller was unsure and would have to ask a priest to check.

Yeah I heard that "argument". These devout Catholics should listen to themselves - they sound completely cuckoo. It must take some amount of gullibility to validate to themselves the brainwashed nonsense they blurt out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

BarryD2 wrote: »
    You're bananas ... in three weeks time it will 31 counties hoping for one result only :)

That Dublin join the UK as part of Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I'd say that photo will potentially fall foul of the blasphemy laws here. Paddy power could be in serious doo doo over it. F them, thieving cnuts

Nobody will ever be prosecuted under the blasphemy law.

BarryD2 wrote: »

Jealousy is a terrible thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

aaaaaaaaaaand "Unfollow"

Advertisement