Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Gender Neutral" VMA's backfire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

jimgoose wrote: »
    Anyone else think "VMA" was an old DEC operating system??

That would have been VMS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Women always want stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't want to be a smartarse here, but I'm taking it as you were either very young or not around in the mid 80's through to the mid 90's?

MTV used to play a load of music back in the day. They eventually just found there is a lot more money in terrible TV shows.

Also see the History channel and TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That would have been VMS ;)

Or VME, if you're an ICL head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭fyfe79

They're more into massive racist and sexist generalisations these days. It's a growth industry:

Absolute gash on so many levels. I should possibly be offended that MTV decide to generalise half the white population (isn't that something that they don't believe in doing?), but that would make me a monumental 'snowflake' hipster moron. So, I'll just carry on ignoring whatever ironic message the rich white men in charge of MTV are peddling to idiots who buy that garbage and believe they're "making a difference". Mass consumption madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yes indeed. Apparently many women start finding good roles hard to come by by the time they're forty-odd or so, which is grossly unnecessary and unfair on them. I heard the breathtaking Marina Sirtis (she's 62) on the radio the other day talking about this very thing, but she was saying it could be a lot worse in her case because she's able to play Israeli/Arab because of her colouring.

These women need to look after themselves.

There are loads of very wealthy women in Hollywood so if they feel like women are not being given an equal chance then maybe they should consider setting up a production company that would give more female actors and directors a chance.

It's like all the whining Will Smith did a couple of years ago about black actors not being recognized by the Oscars or getting the same chance in films and all I could think was will you're worth $250 million why not use that money to make a difference instead of expecting someone else to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

From reading Twitter the whole thing was a leftist pity party. Katy Perry and her Handmaid's Tale garb, and then playing F*ck Trump over the PA system. Not to mention wheeling out Robert E. Lee's descendant to speak about white supremacy.

An entire event symbolising the mess that America has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭fyfe79

keano_afc wrote: »
    From reading Twitter the whole thing was a leftist pity party. Katy Perry and her Handmaid's Tale garb, and then playing F*ck Trump over the PA system. Not to mention wheeling out Robert E. Lee's descendant to speak about white supremacy.

An entire event symbolising the mess that America has become.

One thing is for sure - poor, lowly educated white people absolutely love being told what to do and especially love being told it by rich men and minorities. How exactly any of this leftist ideology is expected to have the exact opposite effect of what it will have/is doing, I don't know.

It's almost as if the elite benefit from setting everybody else against each other, but that's just conspiracy nonsense of course ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

fyfe79 wrote: »
    One thing is for sure - poor, lowly educated white people absolutely love being told what to do and especially love being told it by rich men and minorities. How exactly any of this leftist ideology is expected to have the exact opposite effect of what it will have/is doing, I don't know.

It's almost as if the elite benefit from setting everybody else against each other, but that's just conspiracy nonsense of course ;)

Civil War 2.0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Actors act. Why do we need different terms for male and female ones?
    An actor is an actor.

Like motorist, jockey, nurse, doctor, golfer etc etc.

The term actress is stupid and unnecessary.

Just like Miss and Mister, or he/him and she/her.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Just like Miss and Mister, or he/him and she/her.

:rolleyes:

Those aren't professions. :confused:

I've always thought of 'actor' as a word that could be applied to both men and women. If you had a group of men and women who act, you'd call them a group of actors. This is nothing new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Those aren't professions. :confused:

I've always thought of 'actor' as a word that could be applied to both men and women. If you had a group of men and women who act, you'd call them a group of actors. This is nothing new.

No, but they a nouns. Profession has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Profession has everything to do with what's being discussed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How the f**k do they tell the men from the women in pop nowadays anyway? They all look like aliens from the planet botox

Bambi wrote: »
    How the f**k do they tell the men from the women in pop nowadays anyway? They all look like aliens from the planet botox

Careful now! You might be assuming someone's gender with a statement like that :pac:

Venom wrote: »
    Careful now! You might be assuming someone's gender with a statement like that :pac:

Is calling them all c**ts assuming gender?

Nope.

C*nt's, as*holes, ar*ewip's and dipsh*t's is not only the correct but the only way to refer to those types :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

426399.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I lament the fact that we're removing description generally from our nouns.
    It's unfortunate that the concept of "ess" at the end of a profession to signify female is gone.
    It just ends up in the language being less rich and more banal.

Ah well.

Venom wrote: »
    Profession has everything to do with what's being discussed in this thread.

Profession doesnt matter a jot when you are talking about the use of language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sure you're about 25 years late there Bambi, people were saying the same nonsense about Marilyn Manson and many others yonks ago.

Hell, Boy George in the 80's.

I think you're just getting old like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The poster you quoted was clearly talking about the names of professions. Your post was to do with personal pronouns. Two different things. In very few are there different words for men and women doing the same job. And there are less and less as time goes on ie. headteacher or principal instead of headmaster/mistress, flight attendant instead of air hostess/stewardess. It's how it should be. I'm still weirded out by my mother calling female doctors 'lady doctors'. Why the need for the 'lady' bit?

And, as said, I'm in my 30s and have always considered 'actor' to be a unisex word.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sure you're about 25 years late there Bambi, people were saying the same nonsense about Marilyn Manson and many others yonks ago.

Hell, Boy George in the 80's.

I think you're just getting old like the rest of us.

I'm old enough to remember bowie and boy george, different thing entirely

Miley Cyrus and that ****wit whose name eludes me look like the same airbrushed humaniod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Miley Cyrus and that ****wit whose name eludes me look like the same airbrushed humaniod

Kanye West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kanye West?

0dd354e0ef3c8c2c98adc246e3e661f8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

She changed her look a few years back and ended up resembling a prepubescent boy.

Deeply disturbing.

You know what? We should remove gender nouns from other languages. How dare you assume that chair is female. Or that clock is male.

Hohum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

These women need to look after themselves.

There are loads of very wealthy women in Hollywood so if they feel like women are not being given an equal chance then maybe they should consider setting up a production company that would give more female actors and directors a chance.

It's like all the whining Will Smith did a couple of years ago about black actors not being recognized by the Oscars or getting the same chance in films and all I could think was will you're worth $250 million why not use that money to make a difference instead of expecting someone else to do it for you.

I think reese witherspoon already has done so and fair play to her. They are trying to move in that direction for sure.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/reese-witherspoon-her-production-company-833137

And alicia vikander and others, which I didn't know:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/06/alicia-vikander-production-company-vikarious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

426399.jpg

You address me by my preferred pronoun, you little bollocks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think reese witherspoon already has done so and fair play to her. They are trying to move in that direction for sure.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/reese-witherspoon-her-production-company-833137

And alicia vikander and others, which I didn't know:
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/06/alicia-vikander-production-company-vikarious

That's a much better thing to be doing than complaining about things and if every subsection of society that feels aggrieved had a more positive attitude and helped themselves then maybe things would be better.

Advertisement