Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Gender Neutral" VMA's backfire

Options
  • 28-08-2017 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭

So after a massive complaint over years of putting men and women in different categories. This year featured them merged and the women duly won LESS than the men causing more grumbling from those who wanted "neutrality".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

That'll learn the wimens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

pjohnson wrote: »
    So after a massive complaint over years of putting men and women in different categories. This year featured them merged and the women duly won LESS than the men causing more grumbling from those who wanted "neutrality".

Any linky links to the grumbles? Can't see anything online about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Anyone else think "VMA" was an old DEC operating system??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm just surprised that MTV have anything to do with music nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes. When you have to Google the opening post it becomes too much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

diomed wrote: »

Funny how women not pushing to be in the best actor category in Oscars despite insisting on been called actors instead of actress.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yeah but, did the best person win in each category?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Funny how women not pushing to be in the best actor category in Oscars despite insisting on been called actors instead of actress.

Funnily enough we hear of little clamour for more women coal miners & steel smelters either.
    What is called 'feminism' today is rather selective.

Anyway, bring on gender neutral everything.... especially sport..... let the equality of merit reign.
    I'm sure they will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

They're more into massive racist and sexist generalisations these days. It's a growth industry:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

diomed wrote: »
    Any post where you have to Google what the hell it's about is a sure sign that it's a load of fuss about nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Funnily enough we hear of little clamour for more women coal miners & steel smelters either.
    Actually, there is little clamour for any coal miners & steel smelters. There are no coal mines and no smelters in Ireland and the general trend across Europe is towards closure. That said, the last miner I met was a female 19 year old truck driver for a mine in Wisconsin (I'm not sure, but it might not have been a coal mine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Does a day go by these days that someone isn't offended, causing uproar and generally being a little bitch?

The thing is though, that these threads aren't started by people who are apparently offended at whatever it is, they are started by people who are lamenting that taking of offence - which, if it even exists, isn't in AH.

So I wish the people starting these threads would take their fight to wherever that offence is actually happening, rather than starting threads here, where it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

They didn't to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm so angry but I can't find an appropriate link to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A strangle self-inflicted wound.

Many actresses don't like the term actress, prefering actor, but you can be damn sure they wouldn't agree with taking away the category of 'Best Actress / Supporting Actress' from the big awards ceremonies.

However, it is always amusing when the PC generation out-PC themselves and are left scratching their heads with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Many actresses don't like the term actress, prefering actor, but you can be damn sure they wouldn't agree with taking away the category of 'Best Actress / Supporting Actress' from the big awards ceremonies.
    The thing is, roles for women are not at the same level in Hollywood as roles for men, so as the system isn't equal, there are good arguments against a gender neutral awards structure.

twill wrote: »
    The thing is, roles for women are not at the same level in Hollywood as roles for men, so as the system isn't equal, there are good arguments against a gender neutral awards structure.

Yes indeed. Apparently many women start finding good roles hard to come by by the time they're forty-odd or so, which is grossly unnecessary and unfair on them. I heard the breathtaking Marina Sirtis (she's 62) on the radio the other day talking about this very thing, but she was saying it could be a lot worse in her case because she's able to play Israeli/Arab because of her colouring.

Ha.

You're old.

Ha.

You're old.

Ha! The fact that you knew that meant I'm old means you're old too. So ner! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

They didn't to begin with

I don't want to be a smartarse here, but I'm taking it as you were either very young or not around in the mid 80's through to the mid 90's?

MTV used to play a load of music back in the day. They eventually just found there is a lot more money in terrible TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

They're more into massive racist and sexist generalisations these days. It's a growth industry:

This is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Actors act. Why do we need different terms for male and female ones?
    An actor is an actor.

Like motorist, jockey, nurse, doctor, golfer etc etc.

The term actress is stupid and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

osarusan wrote: »
    The thing is though, that these threads aren't started by people who are apparently offended at whatever it is, they are started by people who are lamenting that taking of offence - which, if it even exists, isn't in AH.

So I wish the people starting these threads would take their fight to wherever that offence is actually happening, rather than starting threads here, where it isn't.

What? I'm not taking any fight anywhere. Just posted about idiots being idiots with their faux-equality nonsense. What on earth OP are you reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

How the hell is getting rid of male and female categories considered progressive? All it means is fewer awards overall, and a guarantee of one gender winning more awards than the other. The whole point of having separate categories is to acknowledge the very real and basic fact in mainstream pop music that men and women tend to cultivate and cater to very different audience profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Actors act. Why do we need different terms for male and female ones?
    An actor is an actor.

Like motorist, jockey, nurse, doctor, golfer etc etc.

The term actress is stupid and unnecessary.

Roles are written for men or for women
    Until there is gender neutrality in roles, you cannot have gender neutrality in the awards for people playing those roles or, arguably, the people playing those roles.

And with that in mind, may I present Al Pacino as Queen Elizabeth I in Scent of a Monarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Banjo wrote: »
    Unless there is gender neutrality in roles which nobody wants so will never happen, you cannot have gender neutrality in the awards for people playing those roles or, arguably, the people playing those roles.

And with that in mind, may I present Al Pacino as Queen Elizabeth I in Scent of a Monarch.

FYP :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Banjo wrote: »
    Until there is gender neutrality in roles, you cannot have gender neutrality in the awards for people playing those roles or, arguably, the people playing those roles.

I'd argue the same for music in a lot of ways though. Because of the different cultural expectations of male and female gender roles, a lot of songs would sound weird or downright cringey if the genders of the performers and the subjects were flipped. In fact, and this is something I personally find to be a very unfair double standard, I'm pretty sure if a man had written Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" about a woman, he'd have been attacked as a creepy, bitter "pseudo nice guy" type.

So in other words, as long as societal gender roles exist, there'll be every bit as much a divide among musicians in terms of subject matter, target audience etc, as there is in acting roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I don't think complete gender neutrality is the answer to any of our problems tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Ha.

You're old.
    Ha! The fact that you knew that meant I'm old means you're old too. So ner! :P

I think you mean VMS. I am also old. :)

Advertisement