Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 7 Episode 7 "The Dragon and the Wolf"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

That episode was grand. Ticked all the boxes, and got rid of all the idiocy (the pointless expedition to capture a zombie and ridiculous Arya vs Sansa conflict). Littlefinger gave up his retirement for permanent daisy pushing position, and Night's King goes from marching one mile a season to reducing the fu*king 700 ft high Wall in under a minute. Theon finally had a conversation with Jon, and Professor Xavier finally told someone that Jon is Aegon.

I mean, at last, right? It was a touch predictable (why the hell would Cersei ever agree to help fight the Night's King) but it all made sense. Also there was no teleporting (it was mentioned that it would "take weeks" to ride to Winterfell, Jon didn't turn up in Winterfell, etc. ). Huzzah!

My only quibble is that the previous two episodes really shouldn't have happened, but we needed to give the Night's King a superweapon, so there ya go.

Also I noticed that the Unsullied being besieged in Casterly Rock by Euron meant absolutely nothing (but that's fine, I don't think anyone took that seriously anyway).

Death of Littlefinger was actually quite spot on - there was nothing that he could really do there (though had I been he I'd have mentioned Battle of the Bastards, not that it would have changed much). Much of the direction was by the numbers though, nothing truly remarkable, but this was only really noticeable in the Jon is the King reveal, which felt like it was going through the motions (perhaps if it hadn't been spoiled in episode 5 it would have been more impactfull).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great episode.
    Everything is moving very quickly now , can't wait for next season things are set up perfectly, seeing the supposedly impregnable wall crumbling so easily was frightening scene and it was brilliantly done.

Looks like that by trying to help by bringing her dragons north Dany has actually managed to give the army of the dead the missing piece they needed in order to conquer the world, just shows you that a good deed never goes unpunished.

Couldn't believe the switcheroo they pulled with Little Finger, I genuinely didn't see it coming.Great to see that prick getting whats been coming to him for a while.

I didn't think Cersei could become any more hateful but she has the whole loves her family thing that continually gets mentioned is 99% bull**** and it only serves to make her more hateful.She's just so filled with hate now it doesn't matter who or what gets in her way she's going to do whatever suits herself.

Samwell as usual was great fun and the confirmation finally of who Jon Snow sets up all sorts of possibilities if it revealed publicly and also sets up an extremely awkward moment between him and Dany.

A great season overall and I can't wait for the final season.Anyone have any idea when the final season will be on TV and how many episodes will be in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

****ing knew Cersei was a backstabber.

But yeah. They're all ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I didn't think Cersei could become any more hateful but she has the whole loves her family thing that continually gets mentioned is 99% bull**** and it only serves to make her more hateful.She's just so filled with hate now it doesn't matter who or what gets in her way she's going to do whatever suits herself.
    Found it interesting how they mirrored her opportunity to easily kill Tyrion and then Jamie with The Mountain, but both times chose not to (it was also well done in that it added tension as to whether she would have the Mountain kill Jamie or not as he was second up).

Also agree on Sam - haven't been a big fan of his story, but the actor I thought has done a great job making him a believable and likable character (and he's great on those cast Q&A session thingies) which for the most part has made his journey quite bearable despite being maybe the weakest storyline of any major character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Boom! ahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Really wasn't sure whether the Mountain was going to kill Jaime or not when he grabbed his sword. Thankful they didn't.

Do you think Tormund and Beric were on the portion of the wall that crumbled or did they make it to the part that didn't fall? Seemed ambiguous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Theon finally regrew some balls by using his ehh, groin - you know what i mean!

And, poor Sam, does he still not know about his Da and Brother?

And so much for my dream of seeing this happen

main-qimg-ffa8c406646ede0156e7249960c0f33e.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

Daledge wrote: »
    Really wasn't sure whether the Mountain was going to kill Jaime or not when he grabbed his sword. Thankful they didn't.

Do you think Tormund and Beric were on the portion of the wall that crumbled or did they make it to the part that didn't fall? Seemed ambiguous to me.

After Davos resurfaced post blackwater a few years back I assume they're alive until we see them die. Stannis upset that belief however but I think it's a sound assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

How did the wall not crush some of the wights? Night king has some demolition skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

JamboMac wrote: »
    He may know about the half brother sister or whatever they are.

Not a chance it's that. It would have come up long ago. He refers to Jon as neds bastard all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

JamboMac wrote: »
    He may know about the half brother sister or whatever they are.

Aunt and nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

If Jon isn't neds bastard, then can he still be king of the north? Does Sansa become de facto queen of the north?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,515 ✭✭✭✭klose

An episode that tied up a few storylines and laid down the marker for all of next episode in spectacular fashion, the episode flew for me.
    I feel slightly stupid when I believed cerseis lie about joining forces only to pull the what is now obvious rug from under us, all she cares about is herself and has the worst tunnel vision of all time. I actually thought she was going to have the mountain kill Jamie it was such a tense scene and am happy Jamie has abanded her now. Is he fleeing kings landing to winterfell? Will he still have power over kings landings army? What about bron! So many questions.
    In quite happy too Littlefinger is finished with, he was a great character and aidan gillen nailed it but the constant double crossing and lies got tiresome after 7 seasons so glad he met his rightful end. He was
    I assume thormund and beric aren't dead either, no way can they kill two such awesome characters off screen?
    So finally the wall is dead and the dead march south in an epic scene, can't wait for the showcase battles next season they will be amazing if this season is anything to go by.
    All very interesting to see how the golden company solders and eurons forces attack everyone else, it seems they will be facing enemies from both sides.

And Tyrion looking half meniscingly down the hall as Jon and danny were bonking, I wonder what's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭corkie

... Anyone have any idea when the final season will be on TV and how many episodes will be in it?

I have read that it could take up to 18 months before we see Season 8 (will depend on the amount of post processing cgi involved!)

There is only SIX episodes but 2 of them will be 2 hours long!

Game of Thrones Season 8 Release Date and Everything Else We Know So Far

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Someone please explain the whole Rheager/Lynna/Ned and Jon thing to me ???

Why did Ned take ownership of Jon after he was born ?? Why could he not tell the truth

Did Rheager die in a battle ??? Was he much older than his sister???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

PTH2009 wrote: »

Why did Ned take ownership of Jon after he was born ?? Why could he not tell the truth

Robert would have killed Jon as he was the true heir to the Iron Throne.

Rhaegar was killed by Robert in the Battle of the Trident as revenge for "kidnapping" Lyanna. He was about 25 years older than Daenerys, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Rhaegar had his marriage annulled so he could marry Lyanna which makes Jon his legitimate son and next in line for the throne.
    When Robert's rebellion happened Rhaegar was killed and Lyanna knew that if Robert found out about Jon and his parentage that he would kill him so Ned pretended he was his [email=b@stard]b@stard[/email] son to protect him.
    Danaerys (sp?) is much younger and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't born until after the rebellion. Her and her brother were the only Targaryan's left after their mother died.

Rhaegar was a good deal older I believe yeah. After Robert Barratheon and co took Kings Landing and defeated the Targaryens all the children were killed in order to clear any claim they had to the throne via blood links - which is why Dany and Viserys were moved away and hidden in Essos through their childhoods and Dany's long march back to Westeros. Jon would have also been killed regardless of whether had he been born from rape or love, and regardless of anything Lyanna or Ned did or said... so Ned pretended Jon was his bastard son from a prostitute to keep it secret, and never told a soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Rhaegar had his marriage annulled so he could marry Lyanna which makes Jon his legitimate son and next in line for the throne.
    When Robert's rebellion happened Rhaegar was killed and Lyanna knew that if Robert found out about Jon and his parentage that he would kill him so Ned pretended he was his [email=b@stard]b@stard[/email] son to protect him.
    Danaerys (sp?) is much younger and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't born until after the rebellion. Her and her brother were the only Targaryan's left after their mother died.

Jamie and Cersi must be old enough too if Jamie killed the mad king (or Jamie must of been very young when he done it ??)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If Brienne and Tormund don't get to make those giant babies I'll scream. What an episode. Looking forward to the next season.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Billy86 wrote: »
    Rhaegar was a good deal older I believe yeah. After Robert Barratheon and co took Kings Landing and defeated the Targaryens all the children were killed in order to clear any claim they had to the throne via blood links - which is why Dany and Viserys were moved away and hidden in Essos through their childhoods and Dany's long march back to Westeros. Jon would have also been killed regardless of whether had he been born from rape or love, and regardless of anything Lyanna or Ned did or said... so Ned pretended Jon was his bastard son from a prostitute to keep it secret, and never told a soul.

Presumably Howland Reed knows the story.

Jamie and Cersi must be old enough too if Jamie killed the mad king (or Jamie must of been very young when he done it ??)

The mad king was killed ~22 years ago from where we currently are in the story. Jamie killed the mad king when he was ~16.

awec wrote: »

He was there at the Tower of Joy so he must know?

awec wrote: »
    Well this is true, but he seems a bit of a conveniently forgotten/almost non-existent character on the show so kind of easy to just forget about to an extent. As is if forced on an answer they could just claim he got an arrow in the neck on the way back from the Tower of Joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Lads,
    Gendry's gone missing again...

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well this is true, but he seems a bit of a conveniently forgotten/almost non-existent character on the show so kind of easy to just forget about to an extent. As is if forced on an answer they could just claim he got an arrow in the neck on the way back from the Tower of Joy.

He isn't in the books either. He has just as much plot and air time in the show as he has in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

KKkitty wrote: »
    He was there at the Tower of Joy so he must know?

He knows Ned came out of the tower with a baby. We don't know if he knew it was Lyanna's though.

Lads,
    Gendry's gone missing again...

He's just resting after his run :D

Daith wrote: »
    He knows Ned came out of the tower with a baby. We don't know if he knew it was Lyanna's though.

I'm sure he had a feeling the baby wasn't really Ned's though.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »

He would surely know it was Lyanna's and he'd surely know it was Rhaegars.

Screaming woman locked in a tower and Ned emerging with a baby, it's too obvious. And Lyanna Stark has been "kidnapped" and guarded by the Targaryen's, nobody else is going to be able to touch her.

He'd have known R+L=J.

Advertisement