Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does The Irish Media Hate Conor Mcgregor?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

LastLagoon wrote:
    <snip>

Jesus.. we have now reached rock bottom people when we are using the above comparisons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

LastLagoon wrote: »
    <snip>

Jesus. It's simply unbelievable how low people can bend in their comparisons to put someone successful down.

It takes someone very special and very anonymous and very craven to use the tragic, base, vile actions of one of the worlds worst and manipulative rapists as a hammer to bang someone.

Take a bow Lastlagoon.

Edit *Necrominus got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If you look like a skank, talk like a skank, act like a skank, then the likelihood is that you are what?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If you look like a skank, talk like a skank, act like a skank, then the likelihood is that you are what?

A very, very rich skank. As in, worth more than everyone that has posted on this thread COMBINED probably even before he triples his skanky net worth tomorrow night/Sunday morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Necrominus wrote: »
    A very, very rich skank.

Bang on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Jesus.. we have now reached rock bottom people when we are using the above comparisons

I wasn't comparing anybody I was making the point that getting your photo taken with kids in a hospital doesn't make you a saint. Then went on to say I hope mcgregor wins so I was hardly trolling? I do hope he wins but he is not the same guy who got me watching MMA I'm sure he could give a **** but the defensiveness of lads online who would prob pay to be his water boy is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

A very, very rich skank. As in, worth more than everyone that has posted on this thread COMBINED probably even before he triples his skanky net worth tomorrow night/Sunday morning ;)

The constant measuring of the man in monetary value by fans and himself doesn't do much for his appeal. It doesn't say much for his 'sporting' achievements either. Even a win or loss against Mayweather is no more than a big payout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Ireland's Chris Eubank, what's not to hate about that?

The constant measuring of the man in monetary value by fans and himself doesn't do much for his appeal. It doesn't say much for his 'sporting' achievements either. Even a win or loss against Mayweather is no more than a big payout.

If you take the quote in the manner it was meant, then you'll understand the reason I posted it.

Why the quotations around sporting btw?

2 weight CageWarriors Champion.

First Irish Champion in the UFC.

First man to defeat Jose Aldo in 10 years.

First man (and only up until recently) to defeat Jose Aldo in the UFC.

One of the fastest knockouts in UFC history.

THE fastest knockout in a world title fight in UFC history

2 weight world champion in the UFC.

Has won at 3 different weight categories. (Featherweight, Lightweight and Welterweight).

Like him, hate him, I don't care. But don't belittle what the man has done. It just makes you look foolish coming into the MMA forum for that purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sc86 wrote: »
    irish people hate to see others succeed
    love to begrudge
    its one of our worst traits as a nation

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry if that comes across as begrudging you.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Article is coming pretty much where I'm coming from.

Same. I really liked him at the start. Still have a signed promo poster from the Holloway fight. Can't stand his "persona" now.

Same. I really liked him at the start. Still have a signed promo poster from the Holloway fight. Can't stand his "persona" now.

Yep started coming off the rails after the Aldo fight for me you can see it get worse on his instagram page.hobo 189 mcgregor is the best McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

sc86 wrote: »
    irish people hate to see others succeed
    love to begrudge
    its one of our worst traits as a nation

on the contrary most people love to see success, we mostly don't like people acting like gob****es

If you take the quote in the manner it was meant, then you'll understand the reason I posted it.

Why the quotations around sporting btw?

2 weight CageWarriors Champion.

First Irish Champion in the UFC.

First man to defeat Jose Aldo in 10 years.

First man (and only up until recently) to defeat Jose Aldo in the UFC.

One of the fastest knockouts in UFC history.

THE fastest knockout in a world title fight in UFC history

2 weight world champion in the UFC.

Has won at 3 different weight categories. (Featherweight, Lightweight and Welterweight).

Like him, hate him, I don't care. But don't belittle what the man has done. It just makes you look foolish coming into the MMA forum for that purpose.

UFC History? A 23 year old business enterprise and gravy train for those involved. And this bout tonight is just an extension of that. It is refreshing that you don't list PPV stats or dole to this in less than 5 years guff. Hopefully you can add another feather to his cap tonight too against a man almost twice the age of UFC who retired two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

UFC History? A 23 year old business enterprise and gravy train for those involved. And this bout tonight is just an extension of that. It is refreshing that you don't list PPV stats or dole to this in less than 5 years guff. Hopefully you can add another feather to his cap tonight too against a man almost twice the age of UFC who retired two years ago.

I can taste the lemons. Beautiful to watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

but it is an issue.

doing so well in a sport that most have never watched one single fight in, before McGregor, and has been a very niche sport for so long doesn't register with a lot of people.

Grand so. Can I ask why you had to come into an MMA forum to post this though? Grand posting it in an AH thread or whatever but this sort of spiel on a dedicated MMA forum is deliberately provocative.

You passive aggressively dismissing McGregor's achievements is akin to me rolling into the soccer forum and saying Ronaldo is ****e.

He's reached the pinnacle of his sport and some might say surpassed it in just over 5 years. Regardless of the discipline, that is some achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

dense wrote: »
    Ireland's Chris Eubank, what's not to hate about that?

Are you comparing Eubank to McGregor? They are completely different in terms of persona.
    harr wrote: »
    The Connor McGregor we see on the TV and at press conferences is a brand, a brand he has made a huge success using...
    People really should realise a lot of it is acting pure and simple..

Ah but his public persona doesn't meet their approval. The fact that he is a nice lad in private doesn't matter. I met him a few years ago through a mutual friend and he was a nice lad, good company. The Irish media prefer the nice wholesome public persona. Doesn't matter if that same individual is an utter p**** in private. One GAA "legend" in particular springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Name a professional sport (or a league within a professional sport) that is not a business enterprise? I see you like athletics, do you think they put on Diamond League events for the good of their health? IAAF revenues are around $60 million a year, a pittance compared to the UFC's revenue of $600 (profit $150m), which is in turn a pittance compared to the billions in revenue brought in by La Liga, Premier League, Major League Baseball, NFL, NBA.

All professional sports seek to make money. All athletes seek to make money.

If you hold a grudge towards Conor or the UFC for making money in their sport, you must therefore hold a grudge against all professional athletes who profit from sport.

Either way, pretty weird way to try tear something down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

All media prefer the nice wholesome image everywhere.

Pac Man is loved while Floyd is hated.

Why would or can they talk about his private persona if they never get to see it, they, and most people, only get to see his public one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Berserker wrote: »
    Are you comparing Eubank to McGregor? They are completely different in terms of persona.

Ah but his public persona doesn't meet their approval. The fact that he is a nice lad in private doesn't matter. I met him a few years ago through a mutual friend and he was a nice lad, good company. The Irish media prefer the nice wholesome public persona. Doesn't matter if that same individual is an utter p**** in private. One GAA "legend" in particular springs to mind.

Correct it doesn't matter precisely because his personal life is nobody's business and the public don't have to experience it, it's the public persona that all famous people are judged on and we have to experience McGregors obnoxiousness all the time. that's why some people don't like him.

Which GAA legend are you referring to?

Grand so. Can I ask why you had to come into an MMA forum to post this though? Grand posting it in an AH thread or whatever but this sort of spiel on a dedicated MMA forum is deliberately provocative.

You passive aggressively dismissing McGregor's achievements is akin to me rolling into the soccer forum and saying Ronaldo is ****e.

He's reached the pinnacle of his sport and some might say surpassed it in just over 5 years. Regardless of the discipline, that is some achievement.

Grand so too and fair enough but the title of the thread is about McGregor and the Irish Media and not specifically about MMA. The title drew me in and on that basis I commented in response to a ridiculous post.

If you scroll back a bit in this thread you will see plenty of posts denigrating the achievements of other sports people to somehow elevate McGregor's achievements. Competitors who have to qualify to progress in competitions not talk there way into them or be in a comfy situation where they can pick and choose who they compete against. If they win, they win and if they lose, they lose. Not just take part because if you lose anyhow you're in for a massive payout. That has nothing to do with Martial Arts and I'm sure doesn't sum up MMA.

That's how I see UFC and that's how I see McGregor portrayed and self portrayed and many people don't seem to get it or bring perspective to the table. You don't even see it as obvious in other Pro sports like Golf, Soccer or F1 whereby someones wealth is pushed ahead of their actual achievements. Admittedly you do see it to an extent in Pro boxing. But that's what the concept of PPV brings and without PPV there would probably be no UFC and no silly Mayweather v McGregor fights.

That's how I see UFC and that's how I see McGregor portrayed and self portrayed and many people don't seem to get it or bring perspective to the table. You don't even see it as obvious in other Pro sports like Golf, Soccer or F1 whereby someones wealth is pushed ahead of their actual achievements. Admittedly you do see it to an extent in Pro boxing. But that's what the concept of PPV brings and without PPV there would probably be no UFC and no silly Mayweather v McGregor fights.

My initial response in this issue was in retort to someone who tossed out the 'looks like a skanger' etc line and ran away. It was a tongue in cheek response to an idiotic post.
    I then went into highlighting his achievements and never once mentioned money.

As far as the money issue not being mentioned in other sports, that's fundamentally not the case. There's an article in the paper every day about this footballer or that footballer being bought for ridiculous types of money.
    Player's contracts are out of this world these days.
    It's splashed all over the news everytime Rory McIlroy or a top pro golfer signs a new endorsement deal.

Money goes with professional sports at the top level hand in hand. It's why Sky pay astronomical fees for Premier League rights.
    It's something every single popular professional level sport is linked too but for some reason it's a problem for some when people like McGregor and Mayweather boast about their net worth and what they will make from fights.

You may not believe the UFC should be considered to be top level, but for McGregor et al who practice the sport of MMA it is the absolute pinnacle. And McGregor has reached the top of the ladder at the top of his sport in less than 5 years.
    He should be lauded for these achievements not sneered at because of a persona that brought him there.

You don't have to like him, but this is simply undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

He makes middle ages to older people quite uncomfortable. He's not a diddly-eye Irishman that has this persona of false modesty and playing themselves down. He is a product of Celtic Tiger Ireland. A man that never lived in the begorrah times of feeling insecure and inferior to others.

It's a change of the guard and the old timers are frightened of it.

Utter bollocks delusional green jersey thinking if you think that's what instils confidence in a human. Phillip Lynott didn't need a celtic fking tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

dasdog wrote: »
    Utter bollocks delusional green jersey thinking if you think that's what instils confidence in a human. Phillip Lynott didn't need a celtic fking tiger.

he is a product of the celtic tiger in that he only cares about individual wealth and considers crass consumerism to be the pinnacle of success.

He's a great fighter in fairness to him but I've no idea why so many fanboys worship him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

The treatment of Annalise Murphy and the O' Donovans last summer shows where we are as a media and as a nation.

We celebrate losers. We always have and always will.

They all received pretty substantial funding from Sport Ireland to compete in obscure niche sports in the Olympics. They went out there, they competed and they lost. So, they come home to massive parties in Dublin and Cork, to Late Late Show appearances, to magazine covers and everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling inside. It's a love-in from the media and the public.

To quote Conor from 2014:

"But you said congratulations I'm now No. 9, if you think I celebrate being No. 9 you're highly mistaken my friend".

Just over 2 years later he was the featherweight world champion, 3 years later the lightweight world champion. No funding along the way, no leg-ups or assistance from the government just sheer determination.

People don't even bother to scratch the surface of his character and see the tremendous loyalty, kindness, humility, sacrifice and dedication in the man, all they want to see are the fight promotion antics which serve a very practical purpose in a sport where more people watching translates to more income to bring in for his family.

Conor's a winner. The O' Donovans are losers. Annalise Murphy is a loser. Come back to me in 2020 when they win gold at the Olympics and I'll be the first to congratulate them.

In the meantime, the media can continue to celebrate losers and people can continue to dislike Conor, while he's busy winning and inspiring a whole generation of younger people to work hard to chase their own impossible dreams.

Paul O' Donovan has a World Champions Gold medal, along with a European Gold, so................get your facts right!

Sailing and rowing are not exactly, you know, the cheapest sports to get into , and neither the O'Donovans or Murphy are "Professionals" like McGregor, Rory etc

Boxing is close enough to being a niche sport now a days as well, nothing compared to what it use to be when the terrestrial channels , even RTE , gave extensive coverage to both pro and amateur fighting

Steve Collins was a double word champion, and he too , got up the noses of people because of his ahem "arrogance" before a fight. (nothing of the sort , and always sound after the fight) Prince Nazem was the brashest of them all but a gentleman once the fight ended (out of the ring, things went a bit crazy for him) Most British liked Naz, but others took issue with him for a number of reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

I agree with all of this great post..

It's a tough one that I can't quite put my finger on. I want to say it's begrudgery but I don't think that word is fitting. The GAA comes to mind and the people who follow that religiously are of the same etos..,, who shake their head at Mc gregor.

There was a ceremony for Irish sports person of the year I think Mc gregor was up against Austin Gleeson from waterford hurling team and I think the o Donovan brothers were nominated as Well... imagine giving it to any of them instead of McGregor.. not one should of been nominated with him he should of just been handed it..
    There wasn't much of an applause when the news was read out either and McGregor knew it was best not to attend I feel and sent a video of appreciation instead which was very smart of him...

Listen to any GAA player talking to the media no matter what county and just hear them throw out the same shiite over and over...'''' Sure I suppose we new it was going to be a hard day against a tough team ''''. And and and ahhhh sure look it, we will go back to the drawing board and come back next year''''' ehh ehh

They are half afraid to say anything like robots they are.. at least McGregor brings a bit of personality and individuality to the table.

McGregor does not have anyone to answer to bar Dana White, and Dana , loves what comes out of McGregor's mouth

Footballers have to answer to their coach and team mates, and it is best to keep the mouth shut, which, no doubt, they are told to do. Some even got kicked off the team by their coach, when then runs off two years later with his pretentious book spilling the beans

• Advertisement

a GAA/rugby/soccer player's main objective when doing an interview is to say NOTHING

you can't compare them

they're not trying to sell a game and not sell themselves

Advertisement