Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does The Irish Media Hate Conor Mcgregor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

harr wrote: »
    My young lad was in crumlin Hosptial a while back when Conor made a vist...no cameras no huge Entourage, he was one of the most down to earth guys you could meet. Had time for everyone signed autographs and loads of pictures taken, he played with the kids and spoke to them not at them like some people do..
    It was huge morale boost for a lot of the children and a memory they will always have..
    The Connor McGregor we see on the TV and at press conferences is a brand, a brand he has made a huge success using...
    People really should realise a lot of it is acting pure and simple.. I always watched his fights and never had a problem with him...but the Connor McGregor who made my very sick son laugh and forget about his troubles for a few minutes that day is who I believe is the real Connor McGregor .

That is refreshing to hear, and great for you and your young lad. I'm sure he's a miles different person to the persona he puts forward, and it is great to hear that he gives back.

That said, it is the public persona that he will be judged on by the majority, as he majority will see what they see on TV or in the papers and not look beyond that, they just won't be interested enough. I'm sure Conor accepts this as part of the persona he puts out, it just seems as though certain fans (like the OP) want the majority to look beyond what Conor clearly wants people to see. That's not going to happen, ever, unless of course he changes his public persona.

PS hope your lad's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Blud wrote: »
    And 'Comment From the Closet of the Year' goes to...

Damn, if only I'd known there was someone of your immense psychological insight, a veritable Sherlock Holmes of sexuality on the thread before I posted that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

road_high wrote: »
    Tell us all why it's "embarrassing" so? It's the truth. And you know it.

You just called everyone who follows him a mindless idiot. And judging by your comments so far you don't know much about him. He's somebody who is proud of where he comes from and clearly appreciates his fans and always makes time for them, whereas people like you seem to think he's some sort of thug with fans who don't have a leaving cert between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

A large part of the issue is probably the company he keeps as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I always find it amazing that when a famous person is actually nice (as seen in a post form earlier in this thread) it's held up as some sort of testament of how great they are as if the average man in the street wouldn't be capable of being nice to people either.

See comment below from another thread on boards.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103462646&postcount=362

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Dantian

Gravelly wrote: »
    If this isn't the best post I've read on boards then I don't know what is. That it was posted on a boxing/MMA thread just makes it even more delicious. It's not often that I cry when reading a forum post.

Glad my brain fart caused such amusement! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

stephenl15 wrote: »
    You just called everyone who follows him a mindless idiot. And judging by your comments so far you don't know much about him. He's somebody who is proud of where he comes from and clearly appreciates his fans and always makes time for them, whereas people like you seem to think he's some sort of thug with fans who don't have a leaving cert between them.

Of course he 'clearly appreciates his fans' . I heard one of his fans saying on radio that he has taken out a loan (he's not working) to go to Vegas and watch the fight in a bar. Unbelieveable! These mugs are taking out a loan they can't afford to feather the nest of a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Of course he 'clearly appreciates his fans' . I heard one of his fans saying on radio that he has taken out a loan (he's not working) to go to Vegas and watch the fight in a bar. Unbelieveable! These mugs are taking out a loan they can't afford to feather the nest of a racist.

People take out loans for all sorts of reasons.

How much do you think was borrowed for the jolly to the Euros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Every time I've heard him speak he's been unbeleivably obnoxious.

You need to hear him speak more. If nothing else, watch this.

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I dunno maybe the fact he a self made multi millionaire and well on his way to being the most successful Irish sportsperson ever?

He is where he is today because he's a marketing genius. Some people are never happy, if he was still on the dole living in the box room in mammies house people would be moaning and yet here's a guy who's gone and done what he's done inspiring literally hundreds of kids to get off the couch away from the X Box and get down the gym and be active.

I think because he's rough around the edges and doesn't speak in a put on American D4 accent it upsets the Montrose media circle jerk. And that makes me very happy indeed :)

Is MMA a sport? I thought it is not recognised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is MMA a sport? I thought it is not recognised?

It's not recognised in Ireland, as there is no governing body.

There is SafeMMA, which most fights go through now, to ensure risk is minimised, but it's entirely voluntary.

My take on the situation is that one of two things needs to happen. Either the sport is banned, which is not my preferred option, or that the sport is governed, regulated and accountable like every other combat sport.
    “Recognition would bring advantages for the sport in the shape of grants that might be used to take over what SafeMMA has been doing. That’s what I would like to see happen in the long run – relying on a volunteer project like this is not sustainable.
    “But beyond the advantages, there are also responsibilities. Safety, monitoring fighters, rule changes, etc. At the moment, the sport doesn’t have either – not the benefits and not the responsibilities. And to me, that’s dangerous.
    “There is no governance. There is no regulation. These are all self-imposed standards. And for longevity, I would suggest that there is a requirement for this to become part of a regulatory framework. It needs to be more than goodwill. Goodwill runs out. Now I think it’s time for systems to be put in place so that this can continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

These mugs are taking out a loan they can't afford to feather the nest of a racist.

A racist like this guy?

or this guy?

get a grip on yourself snowflake.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If he's watching the fight in a bar he's hardly 'feathering the nest' is he? Money will go to airline company and probably a Vegas hotel. And more than likely an exorbitant amount spent on alcohol.

I'm ignoring the racist jibe as you clearly haven't a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I'm in two minds about McGregor, and can see valid points being made on both sides.

One thing that gets to me: I wish people would stop using the excuse that his behaviour's OK because it makes him money. Just because something makes money, doesn't mean it's some kind of virtue, and it certainly doesn't mean that people have to give him a pass for what he says.

If the media and people in general don't warm to a guy who to idolizes murderous thugs like El Chapo and Pablo Escobar, for example, then I think that's fair enough. How much money it makes him is irrelevant to this discussion.

On the other hand, I do get the feeling that some in the Irish media just have a kind of instinctive aversion to MMA, and that bias leads them to make all kinds of negative assumptions of what it is and what its fans are like.

They probably resent the fact that they even have to write about MMA in the first place, so when a guy like McGregor says the things he says, it reinforces their beliefs and gives them a perfect outlet to vent their pre-held negative opinions.

Also, I think if he were this successful in boxing rather than MMA, the media would definitely warm to him more. Boxing has managed to craft a respectable image for itself, MMA has not, and the way it’s marketed sometimes doesn’t help. If some Irish sports journalists could just look past the marketing, drop their biases and take MMA simply it for what it is, I think they might have very different attitudes.

Personally, I'm amazed with the ability McGregor has to rise above pressure and display such confidence in extreme situations. He’s a good role model in that way, but I definitely wouldn’t say the same about his money-worshipping, materialistic persona. I really dislike it, and dislike even more the effect it has on some of his fans.

That said, his mental attitude when it comes to achieving goals is something else and worthy of respect, and I think the Irish media don't give him enough credit for it.

Necrominus wrote: »
    If he's watching the fight in a bar he's hardly 'feathering the nest' is he? Money will go to airline company and probably a Vegas hotel. And more than likely an exorbitant amount spent on alcohol.

I'm ignoring the racist jibe as you clearly haven't a clue

'Dance for me boy'

'Dance for me boy'

Hardly saying "You black bastard"

Standman wrote: »
    He’s a good role model in that way, but I definitely wouldn’t say the same about his money-worshipping, materialistic persona. I really dislike it, and dislike even more the effect it has on some of his fans.

By any chance did you watch the video I posted above?

I'll transcribe some of it here:

Conor:

"I am enjoying the fruits of my hard work. Nobody works harder than me inside the Octagon and outside the Octagon. I am a workhorse. So I am going to enjoy the benefits of this life. I am going to get the big mansion in Las Vegas, I am going to get the soft top cars, I am going to bring my whole team out and spoil them and give them this life. Some people will take positivity from that, they will take inspiration and it will inspire them to go push for that. Others will shell up, and critique it and be negative towards it but one thing is for sure those who take inspiration from it will one day rise up and have this life".

I mean, if you're not very familiar with Conor you might miss his constant messages that are behind the wealth and materialism.

Conor talking about his son:

"To show him back my whole career, this crazy journey I’ve been on. And to show him all the hard work and sacrifice that I’ve put into this. He will come up surrounded by many luxuries, but he will always know that it’s hard work that achieves this. In order to achieve great things in this life you must work hard, and that’s the message I will give my son."

I think when all is said and done, that's a good message for young people. At the end of the day, we ALL do this, no? I mean, if you work hard and get a promotion in work and you can afford a nicer car or nicer holiday, most people tend to get the nicer things because that's what they worked for.

MysticMonk wrote: »

It's actually way worse if you knew your history.

MysticMonk wrote: »

It's way worse actually if you knew your history.

McGregor never kept slaves and Merryweather never picked cotton.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why are you getting offended on behalf of history? It's also a quote from a movie. And he's used it in terms of Diaz previously. Unless Nate Diaz underwent a negro-plasty a la South Park recently then it's not in anyway racist unless you choose to see it in that fashion.

I don't have an issue with people disliking McGregor, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. But this faux outrage about comments that are inherently not what people make them out to be is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

By any chance did you watch the video I posted above?

I'll transcribe some of it here:

Conor:

"I am enjoying the fruits of my hard work. Nobody works harder than me inside the Octagon and outside the Octagon. I am a workhorse. So I am going to enjoy the benefits of this life. I am going to get the big mansion in Las Vegas, I am going to get the soft top cars, I am going to bring my whole team out and spoil them and give them this life. Some people will take positivity from that, they will take inspiration and it will inspire them to go push for that. Others will shell up, and critique it and be negative towards it but one thing is for sure those who take inspiration from it will one day rise up and have this life".

I mean, if you're not very familiar with Conor you might miss his constant messages that are behind the wealth and materialism.

Conor talking about his son:

"To show him back my whole career, this crazy journey I’ve been on. And to show him all the hard work and sacrifice that I’ve put into this. He will come up surrounded by many luxuries, but he will always know that it’s hard work that achieves this. In order to achieve great things in this life you must work hard, and that’s the message I will give my son."

I think when all is said and done, that's a good message for young people. At the end of the day, we ALL do this, no? I mean, if you work hard and get a promotion in work and you can afford a nicer car or nicer holiday, most people tend to get the nicer things because that's what they worked for.

Yeah, I've watched the interview and it's a good one. He comes across as very likeable and down to earth.

He doesn't sound like that when he's on stage at press conferences, or referencing what over-priced designer label he happens to be wearing, or joking about how many people died making his watch, or comparing himself to El Chapo, etc. If that's his way of celebrating his success, fair play to him, but the rest of us don't have to pretend it's respectable behaviour - especially when he carries the Irish flag.

Again, I do think there's a lot to admire about him, I just don't like some of the things he says the way he behaves sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

irish people hate to see others succeed
    love to begrudge
    its one of our worst traits as a nation

Standman wrote: »
    Yeah, I've watched the interview and it's a good one. He comes across as very likeable and down to earth.

He doesn't sound like that when he's on stage at press conferences, or referencing what over-priced designer label he happens to be wearing, or joking about how many people died making his watch, or comparing himself to El Chapo, etc. If that's his way of celebrating his success, fair play to him, but the rest of us don't have to pretend it's respectable behaviour - especially when he carries the Irish flag.

Again, I do think there's a lot to admire about him, I just don't like some of the things he says the way he behaves sometimes.

From my personal experience (limited) he was pretty much salt of the earth.

What you see on a stage is the real him just ratcheted up and amplified to the maximum to try sell a fight. I wasn't too impressed when he was off in Liverpool partying with associates of the Kinahans and I criticized him for that stuff, but fundamentally he's a decent human being. I've had a similar situation in the past where a guy from my school who became a dealer offered to buy me a pint while I was queueing at the bar and I was more afraid of saying no than saying yes. Maybe that was an element to it.

Anyway, he's not a saint and has apologized numerous times for any offence caused by stuff he says. There's no malice behind his words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Gravelly wrote: »
    Sounds more like a move that would be used in The George.

Me, those Brazilian tricks... good times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Necrominus wrote: »
    Why are you getting offended on behalf of history? It's also a quote from a movie. And he's used it in terms of Diaz previously. Unless Nate Diaz underwent a negro-plasty a la South Park recently then it's not in anyway racist unless you choose to see it in that fashion.

I don't have an issue with people disliking McGregor, that's their opinion and they're entitled to it. But this faux outrage about comments that are inherently not what people make them out to be is pathetic.

What movie is it from? It's been bugging me, i know i've heard it but i can't place it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

sc86 wrote: »
    irish people hate to see others succeed
    love to begrudge
    its one of our worst traits as a nation

You can dislike someone without it being begrudgery, a large number of people on boards don't seem to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

kilns wrote: »
    You dont need to be an arsehole to sell fights, just look at Joshua and Klitzkou, they sell out fights easy without being like that.
    But without this persona Conor has created he would just be another run of the mill fighter on UFC roster.  He is not a really exciting fighter, he no ground game compared to others and not even the best pound for pound in his sport.
    So its like he needs this aresehold persona cause scratch under the surface, he doesnt have much else

Such crap, they are nowhere near his level of superstardom.

He is ridiculously exciting to watch. He has a bjj brown belt and has a very good ground game.

Klitschko is one of the most boring boxers ever.

You don't have any idea what you're on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

<snip>

Mod Edit: Grow up and have a bit of sense

• Advertisement

What movie is it from? It's been bugging me, i know i've heard it but i can't place it.

It's not a direct quote but it's used in Rocky 3 by Clubber Lang to Apollo Creed.

Advertisement