Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything is overpriced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Synthol wrote: »
    Where the hell are you getting that shipping costs? Did you even bother checking? If you buy over £20 of prime eligible items then the delivery is free. I hate when people pretend to know things when they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. And if you bother to check, 90% of the common items have prime available, it is very unlikely you will find an item that is not prime unless you are looking for something rare.

426101.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

A boom, who does a boom really benefit anyway ?
    20% Pay rise and a 150% cost of living rise ... yeah fuk that !!

Best time is to have a job during a crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

eeguy wrote: »
    426101.PNG

Are you serious? You literally found one item that doesn't ship to Ireland. I can guarantee you that I can find the same item that does. It doesn't have to be necessarily Amazon, any UK online store will have it cheaper than Ireland.

Are you serious? You literally found one item that doesn't ship to Ireland. I can guarantee you that I can find the same item that does.

That one item?! The Amazon Echo Dot. An item that's made by Amazon, that's sold by Amazon, that shipped by Amazon and has featured on the Amazon homepage for the last few months.

I have a months free Prime and I can't get free delivery of Prime items to Ireland. Everything costs about £4 shipping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Are you serious? You literally found one item that doesn't ship to Ireland. I can guarantee you that I can find the same item that does. It doesn't have to be necessarily Amazon, any UK online store will have it cheaper than Ireland.

Amazon refuse to ship a lot of batteries etc to Ireland so your over estimating with your 90% figure. I buy a lot off Amazon and I have had prime so I know this from experience.

• Advertisement

That one item?! The Amazon Echo Dot. An item that's made by Amazon, that's sold by Amazon, that shipped by Amazon and has featured on the Amazon homepage for the last few months.

I have a months free Prime and I can't get free delivery of Prime items to Ireland. Everything costs about £4 shipping.

You have found 1 item when there are thousands of other items that actually ship to Ireland for free.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Amazon refuse to ship a lot of batteries etc to Ireland so your over estimating with your 90% figure. I buy a lot off Amazon and I have had prime so I know this from experience.

I am talking about UK retailers in general, if amazon doesn't ship then eBay will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Amazon.ie might have to launch soon enough with Brexit coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm here in ibiza at the moment. In the super clubs it 30 euro a pint. Now that's overpriced..

Eh, who goes to a super club in Ibiza to drink pints?? Bet the water is cheap!

Cheerio so. All the best.

Oh my God you are ****ing hilarious.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    What's your point?

It reads like you have solved the problem.

If businesses want to survive then they should compete with online retailers instead of insanenly overpricing everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am talking about UK retailers in general, if amazon doesn't ship then eBay will

Still a pointless argument in fairness, I could go to European websites and get things cheaper again. It's down to different costs in each country aswell as different tax rates etc.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Still a pointless argument in fairness, I could go to European websites and get things cheaper again. It's down to different costs in each country aswell as different tax rates etc.

Exactly what I mean. If I can find the things I want cheaper from other countries why should I pay for overpriced stuff here?

Exactly what I mean. If I can find the things I want cheaper from other countries why should I pay for overpriced stuff here?

Nobody is forcing you to pay for overpriced items here tho, you can buy from anywhere in the world with no issues if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Online shopping will put an end to the High Street. Locally here, the largest clothes dept store has concentrated their efforts on online trading and have extended their warehouse storage facility with the plan to make their online store their main business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What's this about amazon prime in Ireland?
    Only ever ordered off amazon a dozen or so times and usually used parcelmotel. So... I don't need parcel motel anymore as there is free Ireland delivery?

What's this about amazon prime in Ireland?
    Only ever ordered off amazon a dozen or so times and usually used parcelmotel. So... I don't need parcel motel anymore as there is free Ireland delivery?

Amazon prime eligible items (not movies like some misinformed people are saying) over £20 have free delivery to Ireland. Most common items are prime eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You'd swear we lived on a small island or something.

You mean a bit like New Zealand, where VAT is 15%, the top tax rate is 33%, the bottom tax rate is 10.5%, there is no filthy DIRT tax, no RTE tax, no levy on every form of insurance and Electricity, where car insurance rates aren't a hefty fraction of the cost of 1oz of gold and where the government has a $3.7 B surplus, instead of ten times that in deficit?

That sort of small island?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

And there was me about to subscribe to Amazon prime when I heard they were covering Ireland with the deliveries.

And there was me about to subscribe to Amazon prime when I heard they were covering Ireland with the deliveries.

You don't need to subscribe, just buy prime items over £20 and it will be shipped for free, don't listen to the misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Del2005 wrote: »
    Mc-BigE wrote: »
    it would be good if we could see the breakdown figures that a Retail business in Ireland are paying for say a "65-70 euro PS4 game" as an example
    verses the same game in Newry costing 40 pounds (43.38 euro today) or less for the exact same thing.

why is there such a difference, surely the uk and irish retail are getting the same game in the box from the same source (probably in UK)

is the cost of rent, higher insurance, higher min wages etc costing them the extra 26 euro approx per game, surely not

Economies of scale. Amazon can go to a manufacturer and demand a low price for their products. An Irish retailer has to go to a wholesaler who doesn't get the discounts that Amazon can get.  So just like when the big retailers can sell products for less than your local shop can purchase, Amazon can buy for less than the wholesaler can.

Then ad in our higher cost of doing business and that's why a global giant can sell cheaper than an Irish store.
    And? What is the conclusion from this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

alberto67 wrote: »
    Why should I buy something here when I can literally get exactly the same item for 50% less on amazon uk. It just pisses me off that everything has to be overpriced here. I am really happy that Amazon introduced prime to Ireland making delivery free so I don't have to pay stupid prices in Ireland.

Emigrate and live near Amazon HQ. Free delivery then.
    The same could be suggested to all lower earners/most vulnerable, who apply for free/affordable housing:
    Emigrate and live in Africa, where the housing is almost free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

You don't need to subscribe, just buy prime items over £20 and it will be shipped for free, don't listen to the misinformed.

That's just the standard super saver delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Sarn wrote: »

Prime in Ireland d would be fantastic. I for one evening would gladly pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

cnocbui wrote: »
    You'd swear we lived on a small island or something.

You mean a bit like New Zealand, where VAT is 15%, the top tax rate is 33%, the bottom tax rate is 10.5%, there is no filthy DIRT tax, no RTE tax, no levy on every form of insurance and Electricity, where car insurance rates aren't a hefty fraction of the cost of 1oz of gold and where the government has a $3.7 B surplus, instead of ten times that in deficit?

That sort of small island?
    Erm... Ireland 84k sq km.... New Zealand 268k sq km....

Sarn wrote: »

It's full tracked and free, what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

It's full tracked and free, what's your point?

Just clarifying that it's not prime and has been around for years. Still a good option when picking up a few items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm here in ibiza at the moment. In the super clubs it 30 euro a pint. Now that's overpriced..

You are ****ting me? I know they would be dear but I was thinking 10 euro a pint. 30 euro seems unbelievable.

If businesses want to survive then they should compete with online retailers instead of insanenly overpricing everything.

They're not overpriced though? They're priced at a point where the retailer can cover their overheads, pay their staff and make a profit.

Online retailers price the same way, only their overheads and staff costs are less, so the final price is less. Granted, some B&Ms are gougers (Gamestop for example) but most are only keeping their heads above water.

Also, I'm trying to buy this item: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GM0UFI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    Its £30, delivered by Amazon, Im a Prime member and shipping is £7.

If you can show me how to get free shipping I'd be much obliged.

• Advertisement

They're not overpriced though? They're priced at a point where the retailer can cover their overheads, pay their staff and make a profit.

Online retailers price the same way, only their overheads and staff costs are less, so the final price is less. Granted, some B&Ms are gougers (Gamestop for example) but most are only keeping their heads above water.

Also, I'm trying to buy this item: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GM0UFI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
    Its £30, delivered by Amazon, Im a Prime member and shipping is £7.

If you can show me how to get free shipping I'd be much obliged.

It's not prime eligible, look somewhere else. Amazon is not the only online seller.

Advertisement