Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything is overpriced

Options
  • 24-08-2017 4:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭

Why should I buy something here when I can literally get exactly the same item for 50% less on amazon uk. It just pisses me off that everything has to be overpriced here. I am really happy that Amazon introduced prime to Ireland making delivery free so I don't have to pay stupid prices in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

location, taxes, small market/low volumes, minimum wage, inefficient infrastructures

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well, it won't be like that for too much longer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Synthol wrote: »
    Amazon introduced prime to Ireland making delivery free so I don't have to pay stupid prices in Ireland.

Excuse my ignorance but can you tell me how this works? A link will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

When you're rich it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Excuse my ignorance but can you tell me how this works? A link will do.

It doesn't. Loads of "prime" stuff doesn't deliver to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You're ignoring the exchange rate and the fact that sterling is at it's lowest point against the euro in eight years. And if you're living in Ireland and paying for Prime, you're scamming yourself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Why should I buy something here when I can literally get exactly the same item for 50% less on amazon uk. It just pisses me off that everything has to be overpriced here. I am really happy that Amazon introduced prime to Ireland making delivery free so I don't have to pay stupid prices in Ireland.

Retail prices are stupid in Ireland because of the stupid cost of running a retail business in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

You'd swear we lived on a small island or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There is no amazon.ie so the OP is comparing apples vs attack helicopters really.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Emigrate and live near Amazon HQ. Free delivery then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Why don't you just go and live in the UK seeing as how you dont want to support the Irish businesses here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

What's your point?

It reads like you have solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Its a kip i hate the place

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Westwood wrote: »
    Its a kip i hate the place

Cheerio so. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Heisenbug

Why don't you just go and live in the UK seeing as how you dont want to support the Irish businesses here :confused:

Oh stop being stupid. yeah, he's going to move to another country so he can get free delivery on the odd purchase from Amazon.

Support Irish businesses? F*ck them. I'll support my bank account, thanks.

I personally don't care where I get what I want, why should I as long as I'm benefitting financially?

A lot of Irish businesses are looking after themselves, as will I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

it would be good if we could see the breakdown figures that a Retail business in Ireland are paying for say a "65-70 euro PS4 game" as an example
    verses the same game in Newry costing 40 pounds (43.38 euro today) or less for the exact same thing.

why is there such a difference, surely the uk and irish retail are getting the same game in the box from the same source (probably in UK)

is the cost of rent, higher insurance, higher min wages etc costing them the extra 26 euro approx per game, surely not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Heisenbug wrote: »
    I personally don't care where I get what I want, why should I as long as I'm benefitting financially?

Morals and ethics. Having a few extra cent in your bank account is not the be all and end all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

jive wrote: »
    Morals and ethics. Having a few extra cent in your bank account is not the be all and end all :)

morals and ethics...don't make me laugh...the price gouging is getting back into full swing again(landlords,pubs restaurants etc)...and than when the next crash comes, as it will ,many of these chancers will be demanding that the paying public feel their pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

srsly78 wrote: »

Post Office to the rescue

Never mind amazon, everything is between 20 to 50 percent cheaper in Norn Iron. Sterling isn't far off parity now. The shops up there accept euro.

Northy Insurance Brokers are the only ones who you can get a decent motor ins quote off, with cartel activities rife down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

southstar wrote: »
    morals and ethics...don't make me laugh...the price gouging is getting back into full swing again(landlords,pubs restaurants etc)...and than when the next crash comes, as it will ,many of these chancers will be demanding that the paying public feel their pain

Let's just have children and slave labourers do the work so to save some of our well deserved euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

jive wrote: »
    Let's just have children and slave labourers do the work so to save some of our well deserved euros

I have no problem paying for stuff that is made in Ireland, I prefer to buy Irish food but if product made in Asian sweat shop is cheaper on Amazon I feel absolutely no guilt buying it there. Web is changing our shopping habits and insisting to shop local just to keep businesses alive is equal to insisting on using fax instead of email so they won't go out of use. Online shopping is easier, less hassle and usually cheaper, it's no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    it would be good if we could see the breakdown figures that a Retail business in Ireland are paying for say a "65-70 euro PS4 game" as an example
    verses the same game in Newry costing 40 pounds (43.38 euro today) or less for the exact same thing.

why is there such a difference, surely the uk and irish retail are getting the same game in the box from the same source (probably in UK)

is the cost of rent, higher insurance, higher min wages etc costing them the extra 26 euro approx per game, surely not

Economies of scale. Amazon can go to a manufacturer and demand a low price for their products. An Irish retailer has to go to a wholesaler who doesn't get the discounts that Amazon can get. So just like when the big retailers can sell products for less than your local shop can purchase, Amazon can buy for less than the wholesaler can.

Then ad in our higher cost of doing business and that's why a global giant can sell cheaper than an Irish store.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Heisenbug wrote: »
    Oh stop being stupid. yeah, he's going to move to another country so he can get free delivery on the odd purchase from Amazon.

Support Irish businesses? F*ck them. I'll support my bank account, thanks.

A lot of Irish businesses are looking after themselves, as will I.

Wow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I will buy & have bought locally if it's reasonably close in price. But it's also about product availability & choice. Irish retailers buy from the same Irish wholesalers so you tend to find the same products in every shop.

There used to be a classic example where you could find 6 music ships here all selling the same make of guitar - it was pretty much all you could buy. A lot of retailers live in the past & aren't prepared to change lines etc. Very few have websites & if they do, they often won't quote prices.

You can spend hours going from shop to shop & have no idea if they might have what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Did amazon prime really launch in Ireland? as in the same prime as the UK with free shipping... Or is it Prime Video people are thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

god's toy wrote: »
    Did amazon prime really launch in Ireland? as in the same prime as the UK with free shipping... Or is it Prime Video people are thinking of?

Prime video and music is available now.
    Shipping still costs.

OP you're comparing apples and oranges.
    Amazon is a worldwide warehouse company that has HUGE buying power.
    Most of their warehouses are automated to the nines, their staff are quite low paid and their running costs are as low as possible.
    Amazon actually pays the US postal service to run on a Sunday and just deliver Amazon items.

Brick and mortar shops are dying a slow death. There's hardly any family/independent retailers left, only chain stores and even they're having a tough time. Big box shops are the only ones doing half well at the moment. Sure why brave the hassle of shopping centres when you can buy online. Support local retailers all you want, but B&M shops are an incredibly inefficient way of retail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

srsly78 wrote: »

Please don't spread misinformation, 90% of stuff you need on amazon is free for delivery if you buy in total over £20. Almost all the items have Amazon prime free delivery, if you have bothered to check you would know instead of spreading misinformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

There's a brief window of opportunity to take advantage of weak Sterling.
    The majority of consumer goods in the UK are bought in Euro or US$ and even goods made in the UK are subject to buying inputs in other currencies, notably those two.

So, as soon as supply chains price in the new lower value £ vs $/€ there will be steep inflation in the UK as the real prices are actually in € and they just got a good few % poorer.

It just takes a while for contracts and pricing to reflect the new reality and I suspect when you see steep inflation in the UK hitting, that's when the wheels will fall off the Tories too.

1 EUR = 0.9224 GBP

(To give you that in 'old money' for the sake of showing how weak Sterling is.)

(IR£ = 1.269738078 Euro at the fixed conversion rate we switched into Euro at)

(If the old Punt were still in use, it would buy you GBP1.17)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

eeguy wrote: »
    Prime video and music is available now.
    Shipping still costs.

OP you're comparing apples and oranges.
    Amazon is a worldwide warehouse company that has HUGE buying power.
    Most of their warehouses are automated to the nines, their staff are quite low paid and their running costs are as low as possible.
    Amazon actually pays the US postal service to run on a Sunday and just deliver Amazon items.

Brick and mortar shops are dying a slow death. There's hardly any family/independent retailers left, only chain stores and even they're having a tough time. Big box shops are the only ones doing half well at the moment. Sure why brave the hassle of shopping centres when you can buy online. Support local retailers all you want, but B&M shops are an incredibly inefficient way of retail.

Where the hell are you getting that shipping costs? Did you even bother checking? If you buy over £20 of prime eligible items then the delivery is free. I hate when people pretend to know things when they have no idea what the hell they are talking about. And if you bother to check, 90% of the common items have prime available, it is very unlikely you will find an item that is not prime unless you are looking for something rare.

Advertisement