Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel tells Russia we will attack Iran.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

This is such a non story.

I am intrigued how people seem to want a "daily fear" these days.

How is this a non story, the middle east is a mess right now. With three active wars ongoing in three Arab countries

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You wrong as usual.

Sorry ,Im not wrong but hey .

A pr firm was hired to make a Terrorist organisation look bad ,

How would that actually happen.
    Wasn't one of the cliams was they sold terrorists actual videos to news stations ,

Conspiracy theories against terrorists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

While Israel, even on its own, could defeat Iran in a conventional war they would pay a high price in the process. Iran has hundreds of thousand irregulars/militias members, who are battle hardened to call on, as well another 2-3 hundred thousand conventional troops, and likely thousands of citizens willing to be martyrs too. Israel's missile defense systems won't stop thousands of their own citizens being killed in a war. This is without factoring in the devastating wider consequences. With this in mind I highly doubt Bibi is daft enough to start a war with Iran. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary, Iran's leaders don't relish the prospect of war with Israel either. They don't have a history of starting wars with other countries too.

Israel have nukes and a self-belief about being the "chosen people". With years of experiencing UN scoldings, I doubt they would care about the repercussions of using them in a war if it came to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Israel have nukes and a self-belief about being the "chosen people". With years of experiencing UN scoldings, I doubt they would care about the repercussions of using them in a war if it came to it.

There fearless too,
    If they wanted to they could take a sizeable amount of Syria if they wanted and nobody would stop them,
    Going after Iran wouldn't be all that much of s stretch been honest ,
    America won't stop them , russia certainly won't stop them (at best they would go crying to the UN ) which would mean nothing to Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If Israel attack Iran and control it there would be suicide bombers going into Israel from Iran. Israel has the Palestinians blocked into small areas with no access to go in or out so they can control them they would not be able to do the same a big country like Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A few years ago Iran started trading their oil for commodities because of sanctions, which meant that they dropped the US dollar for trading oil. Gadaffi did the same in 2011, and Saddam also threatened to drop the dollar in favour of the Euro in 2001.

Countries with autocratic regimes that were having significant issues with the US didn't particularly like having to use the dollar, so proposed alternative methods

Except in Iran's case, these were largely symbolic/populist measures with not much practicality

Gatling wrote: »
    There fearless too,
    If they wanted to they could take a sizeable amount of Syria if they wanted and nobody would stop them,
    Going after Iran wouldn't be all that much of s stretch been honest ,
    America won't stop them , russia certainly won't stop them (at best they would go crying to the UN ) which would mean nothing to Israel

Very true, the Israelis have a constant siege mentality.

They have no hesitations in e.g. flying into Syria and taking out mobile missile trucks if they think they are even the vaguest threat to Israel. Part of that doctrine is also this heavy, aggressive language

For the Iranians, it's a delicate balancing act, they have their interests in and around Syria, but they don't want to provoke the Israelis too much

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Very true, the Israelis have a constant siege mentality.

They have no hesitations in e.g. flying into Syria and taking out mobile missile trucks if they think they are even the vaguest threat to Israel. Part of that doctrine is also this heavy, aggressive language

For the Iranians, it's a delicate balancing act, they have their interests in and around Syria, but they don't want to provoke the Israelis too much

well they have been invaded twice during their short history so a siege mentality is to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

If Israel attack Iran and control it there would be suicide bombers going into Israel from Iran.

How would they get in to Israel, would the Israelis not try to stop them entering?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

How is this a non story, the middle east is a mess right now. With three active wars ongoing in three Arab countries

I outlined why it's a non-story here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104477782&postcount=18

It's a complete stroke by Netanyahoo.

Zero chance of Israel attacking Iranian forces. Zero.

I outlined why it's a non-story here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104477782&postcount=18

It's a complete stroke by Netanyahoo.

Zero chance of Israel attacking Iranian forces. Zero.

They could strike Iranian forces in Syria, but yes an all-out conflict is very unlikely

The rhetoric is fairly standard and hasn't changed in decades

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well they have been invaded twice during their short history so a siege mentality is to be expected.

it's not really no . it was invaded after it commited acts of aggression first.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's not really no . it was invaded after it commited acts of aggression first.

so at least you admit it was invaded, then?

i wouldn't say invaded, rather other countries trying to push back it's expansion into their territory. it was given territory in 1948 to set up it's sectarian statelet, it wasn't enough for it though.

i wouldn't say invaded, rather other countries trying to push back it's expansion into their territory. it was given territory in 1948 to set up it's sectarian statelet, it wasn't enough for it though.

i'm sure you would have been much happier if one of the invasions had succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

i'm sure you would have been much happier if one of the invasions had succeeded.

Most people would love an Israeli state to flourish including myself but not at the expense of another peoples land. The policy of the Israeli government is the biggest threat to its security not its neighbours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

What is wrong with the Jewish people having a state?

it would be much easier if it had yes, i won't lie. it just cannot behave itself and it's causing major security issues in the middle east via it's funding of terrorism and the rest, something saudi arabia are guilty of also.
    we would all like israel to work but the reality is while it has the isis like mentality it does, while it breaks every single international and UN law, while it continues with it's expansionist policies, while it slaughters innocent civilians and takes part in cleansing, then it's going to have a lot of detractors and enemies.

absolutely nothing. however, as it doesn't behave like a jewish state, but rather along the lines of saudi arabia, then it deserves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Iran are fighting ISIS, sure there own regime isn't great, but there far better than ISIS, and aren't engaged in attacks the world over like ISIS are doing. If the West had sense it would side with Iran against ISIS for purely pragmatic reasons. They are by far the lesser of 2 evils.

• Advertisement

it would be much easier if it had yes, i won't lie. it just cannot behave itself and it's causing major security issues in the middle east via it's funding of terrorism and the rest, something saudi arabia are guilty of also.
    we would all like israel to work but the reality is while it has the isis like mentality it does, while it breaks every single international and UN law, while it continues with it's expansionist policies, while it slaughters innocent civilians and takes part in cleansing, then it's going to have a lot of detractors and enemies.

absolutely nothing. however, as it doesn't behave like a jewish state, but rather along the lines of saudi arabia, then it deserves nothing.

I'm sure they are deeply troubled by your views.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

They have elections, how is it like Saudi Arabia? Women can actually breath in Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If Russia is on the side of Iran you have to question how Israel would do I na war without US backing? Would be interesting to see what would win out, America's historical allegiance to Israel or Trump's allegiance to his boss?

Getting hot right now. Will Israel go nuts?

Israel has stepped up its game regarding the conflict in neighboring Syria, threatening to launch pinpoint airstrikes on the palace of Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad if Tehran is to intervene further in the conflict, the Al-Jadida newspaper reported earlier today.

In addition, Israel said it was willing to cancel the de-escalation deal that covers Quneitra and Daraa province, brokered by the United States and Russia during the Astana talks earlier this year.

Netanyahu: Iran building missile sites in Syria
    Israeli PM makes claims Tehran is setting up sites to produce missiles with the aim of deploying them against Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has accused Iran of building sites in Syria and Lebanon to manufacture precision-guided missiles, with the goal of deploying them against Israel.

His allegations on Monday came at the start of a meeting with Antonio Guterres, the United Nations secretary general, who is on his first official visit to the region since taking office at the beginning of the year.

"Iran is busy turning Syria into a base of military entrenchment, and it wants to use Syria and Lebanon as warfronts against its declared goal to eradicate Israel," Netanyahu said in Tel Aviv, without offering any specifics to support his allegations.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/netanyahu-iran-building-missile-sites-syria-170828132204171.html

US intelligence officials are under pressure from the White House to produce a justification to declare Iran in violation of a 2015 nuclear agreement, in an echo of the politicisation of intelligence that led up to the Iraq invasion, according to former officials and analysts.

The collapse of the 2015 deal between Tehran, the US and five other countries – by which Iran has significantly curbed its nuclear programme in return for sanctions relief – would trigger a new crisis over nuclear proliferation at a time when the US is in a tense standoff with North Korea.

Intelligence analysts, chastened by the experience of the 2003 Iraq war, launched by the Bush administration on the basis of phoney evidence of weapons of mass destruction, are said to be resisting the pressure to come up with evidence of Iranian violations.

“Anecdotally, I have heard this from members of the intelligence community – that they feel like they have come under pressure,” said Ned Price, a former CIA analyst who also served as a national security council spokesman and special assistant to Barack Obama. “They told me there was a sense of revulsion. There was a sense of déjà vu. There was a sense of ‘we’ve seen this movie before’.”

However, Donald Trump has said he expects to declare Iran non-compliant by mid-October, the next time he is required by Congress to sign a three-monthly certification of the nuclear deal (known as the Joint Comprehensive Programme of Action, or JCPOA). And the administration is pursuing another avenue that could trigger the collapse of the deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/28/iran-nuclear-deal-violations-white-house-search-intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They won't be using nukes, because there will be no war for the reasons I've outlined already.
    But let's say there was a war, Israel wouldn't use nukes either, they might threaten use them to secure American involvement. Although to even do that they would have to be losing badly. To be clear they would beat Iran in a conventional war, but as an Israeli guy i once knew told me: Israeli citizens, particularly in northern Israel, would hurt from a war with Iran, so no Israeli Leader would go to war with Iran lightly. This is all just Bibi making loud noises because of what's happening to him at home.

wes wrote: »
    Iran are fighting ISIS, sure there own regime isn't great, but there far better than ISIS, and aren't engaged in attacks the world over like ISIS are doing. If the West had sense it would side with Iran against ISIS for purely pragmatic reasons. They are by far the lesser of 2 evils.

As much as I support Rouhani, Iran is no angel. They are using the fight against ISIS to further their own interests in the region. Much like Israel are acting in their own interests.

Sometimes people are so blinded by their personal hate of country X or Y they are incapable of seeing the bigger picture objectively

Advertisement