Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to be old?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

People nowadays can probably expect to live for 80 years or so but you are only really in prime physical condition for 15-20 of those years. It's a raw deal.
    15-20? 25 is your prime and you only go downhill slowly after that. Plenty people as fit in their 50's as they were in their 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Plenty people as fit in their 50's as they were in their 20's.

How high that bar is is very subjective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll tell you what it's like to be old....... when I get there.

I'm 73 but honestly can't say I have yet to consider myself old or to have any of the classic symptoms of old age yet.

As you get older you change perspectives, possibility become more forthright in giving your honest opinion, and suffer fools less gladly than in your younger years. If the body and mind hold together getting older is just a more relaxed and enjoyable stage of life than the manic middle age when keeping bread on the table and rearing a family where the only important issues in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Sam Kade wrote: »
    15-20? 25 is your prime and you only go downhill slowly after that. Plenty people as fit in their 50's as they were in their 20's.

Nah. I'm talking peak physical condition. Strength, speed, endurance etc.
    You won't see too many north of 35 competing at the highest level in soccer, athletics, rugby etc.

You can apply it across the board too. I'd love to still be playing football for my local club but a few years shy of 40, I'd have rings run around me by lads in their 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Age is just a number. You're old only if you want to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I used to moan a lot about getting older and losing my youth and all the benefits it brings. Someone very wise then told me something I will never forget:

Never regret getting old- its a privilege denied to many...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm 41 and my best friend is a 66 year old woman. She's a year younger than my father was when he died. I don't think of her as old but my father always seemed ancient.

I was sixteen years younger than I am now when he died but even now when I think about him his attitude to life just seems old. He was always complaining about something. If a kid rang the bell and ran off you'd hear about it for hours. He was always telling me to turn down my music. One time I was playing some love song from the fifties and he came upstairs to shout at me "turn that down" and "that's terrible shit" as if I was playing Napalm Death or something.

I think the definition of old is always broadening. Except on the internet where you have 23 year olds pining for the good old days when they used to buy blu-rays and owned an iPhone 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

"What's it like to be old?"

It's a bit crap, really :(

Things stop working properly; hangovers last much longer; your body starts paying you back for all the years of abuse; memory can be a bit iffy; tiredness catches you out unexpectedly; most things seem just a bit too much effort; modern music is horrible noise.

Actually I'm just having a bad day today. Early 50s and still think I'm a teenager most of the time, and tend to live life like it. I'm sure I can continue for another few years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Not one to cause alarm, however the OP has not been seen or heard from since starting this thread at 2am! So sad..seems he'll never experience being old..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Every morning I look in the mirror I'm getting younger and younger looking.
    I feel like Benjamin Buttons!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Being old is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

jluv wrote: »
    Not one to cause alarm, however the OP has not been seen or heard from since starting this thread at 2am! So sad..seems he'll never experience being old..
    I'm OK, I'm just mis-spending the last of my youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

I think the definition of old is always broadening. Except on the internet where you have 23 year olds pining for the good old days when they used to buy blu-rays and owned an iPhone 5.
    That's the thing - despite people living much longer, and looking and feeling better because of an improved quality of life, you still have those people from aged 20 on who think because they're not teenagers any more they're old.

I assume the opening poster means he's turning 40 or 50 but because he hasn't said, I'd bet there are people under 30 giving him advice here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I'm OK, I'm just mis-spending the last of my youth.

Lol..ok but just remember while you may have to grow old,it's not mandatory to grow up..I'm living by that!!

So you still haven't answered..what age is going to make you old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Spider Web

alberto67 wrote: »
    Age is just a number. You're old only if you want to be.
    Even though I'm far from one of those people who thinks old age hits once your mid 30s arrive, and even though I know there are people who "think themselves" old, I don't agree with you either. People do of course become old - due to the ravages of time, not just because of what their state of mind is.

Of course people can delay physical issues with healthy living, but old age wear and tear is unavoidable.

I do think however that elderly and frail seems to be hitting later in life today - e.g. I know people in their early to mid 70s whom, I would have though, SHOULD be really old looking/acting and frail by now, but they're really not at all. That said, some of their friends have died, and they are more prone to joint troubles and other health issues. But jeez, they look great! And they seem to have plenty of energy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

many of the wans nearing 60 look more tempting than their daughters, w.t.f.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Every morning I look in the mirror I'm getting younger and younger looking.
    I feel like Benjamin Buttons!

Where did you come from? The grave? Will you be going back into the womb when you leave this earth?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

The fella turns 70 so goes into the doctor for a check up , after being pronounced fit and well , he asks the doctor " any advice for me now that I'm in my 70's
    Yes says the doc, 3 bits of advice.
    1. Never pass a urinal
    2 . If you get a Horn use it.
    3. And Never trust a fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Being old is a state of mind. I don't feel any older than I did at 19, I'm always being told I look way younger.
    Then I go to the gym and I know I'm not 19..

Advertisement