Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to be old?

Options
  • 24-08-2017 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be old in two weeks, this place is full of old fogeys, what's it like being you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

So few alive who have seen the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It gets harder and harder, except where it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Being old is a real pain; in the back, hips, knees, teeth and bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

You get to give less of a fcuk, and tell it how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Age is a state of mind. If you feel old, feel something younger :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The future is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No idea. Ask me again in twenty years and I'll tell you the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'll be old in two weeks, this place is full of old fogeys, what's it like being you?

Why two weeks? Right now you're the oldest you have ever been:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I wish you a happy 70th birthday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Arghus wrote: »
    It gets harder and harder, except where it counts.

Speak for yourself, kiddo! You need more red meat in yer diet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

It only bothers me in sport, I can really feel it the next day after a game of Tennis or 5 a side football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

It only bothers me in sport, I can really feel it the next day after a game of Tennis or 5 a side football.

I'm the same after a lash of pints :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm the same after a lash of pints :o

True, I miss being able to handle (or not having) hangovers .... Jesus 5/6 pints would kill me nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

How old is old? You have me worried now.

Friend of mine keeps saying when the subject comes up 'its better than the alternative'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its awesome been me, the older you get the bolder you get :P

My back goes out more than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Tis grand..

Never regret it, it's a privilege a lot don't get to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

How old is "old"?
    I remember when being in your sixties was considered a grand old age but now, with the difference in lifestyles and people being more active etc, 60 isn't really considered "old".
    80 is the new 60 and 60 is the new 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My mum, who's in her 70's, says that you never get old in your head. In her head she's still in her 30's, just she has an old body with aches and pains.

I would disagree slightly, I think I've known people who were in their 60's in their head even when they were 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

What is old, 30, 40, 50, 60 70 or are you going to be 80 in 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Old is when your body can't keep up with your mind, I've seen plenty people in their late 30's-40's that are crippled and people in their 70's as lively as 20 year olds. Those 70 year olds would be few and far between though. The amount of people that go downhill between the ages of 60 and 70 is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

you are old when...buying some large item i.e a car and it occurs to you that it might be the last one you every buy. That how someone I know realised there were actuley old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

If you lived the sex, drugs, drink and rock and roll lifesyle, you probably have some grand memories of the old days feel free to reminisce.....in the privacy of your own home....No regrets, right !

Now if you lead a quiet life, now's the time to let it rip. Sit in your front garden and drink your favourite tipple, repeat 'ah this is the life' in a loud whisper to passers by and those hardworking neighbours.

Making the devil's horns gesture and shouting 'Rock and rolllll' a la Ozzy is also a suitable pastime when you are old.

Pretending your memory is not what it used to will take time to perfect....hang in there, you can do it.

If you can't wolf whistle, now's the time to learn and if you can't swim or drive, now would be a good time to start.

Leave the sky diving and bungi jumping to retired members of the defense forces and former boy scouts and girl guides. When you've won your first Demolition Derby you will be ready to do the Bungi jump.

Get all ideas of running marathons out of your head, the odd jog down to the bookies or mass should be enough excerise for any ould codger and for j'sus sake stay well away from those mail-order bride catalogues....temptation is an urge best left for the younger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

erica74 wrote: »
    How old is "old"?
    I remember when being in your sixties was considered a grand old age but now, with the difference in lifestyles and people being more active etc, 60 isn't really considered "old".

I love you Erica.

mariaalice wrote: »
    you are old when...buying some large item i.e a car and it occurs to you that it might be the last one you every buy. That how someone I know realised there were actuley old.

How often did they change the car every two years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭LushiousLips

You're only as old as the woman you feel OP ;);)

All jokes aside, my parents are getting old and very slowly its like I am becoming the parent. The wheel is sadly turning :(

Im not old, Im vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

erica74 wrote: »
    How old is "old"?

And by that reckoning 40 is the new 20, making me a mere teenager. I'm liking you Erica!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

People nowadays can probably expect to live for 80 years or so but you are only really in prime physical condition for 15-20 of those years. It's a raw deal.

• Advertisement

Flossie Dickey 110th birthday, now that is old, she likes lots of naps and whiskey.

She didn't make 111.

Advertisement