Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Franchises that were ruined

Options
  • 23-08-2017 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Couple of posts in a previous topic got me thinking. What gaming Franchises have be ruined, or what gaming sequels have darkened the name of the genre. With the news that Mass Effect Andromeda has effectively been abandoned for single players, has that ruined the franchise or poisoned it?

Other examples where I think sequels have badly messed up are:

Dawn of War 3
    Empire Earth 3
    The Force Unleaded 2
    Duke Nukem Forever

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Silent Hill. 1-3 were fine works of survival horror. I'd love for them to resurrect the series and do it right but won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sonic. For the longest time the series churned out absolute tripe. Mania is one hell of a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gaming series that were not ruined at some point would be a better thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Looks like the Metal Gear name is gonna be dragged through broken glass and dog shít

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

callaway92 wrote: »
    Looks like the Metal Gear name is gonna be dragged through broken glass and dog shít

Yeah, 4 and 5...jaysis...

As Dreamer said, it's nearly easy to think of long running series that weren't crap at 1 point.

Personally MGS, Sonic, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider etc etc

But the thing is....many of them have come good again, Battlefield 1 was great, the new Deus Ex games were very good , as was the new Tomb Raider games.
    Call of Duty going back to WW2 looks like it might be a step back in the right direction...so there's always hope.

Someone else mentioned Sonic, he hadn't had a decent game in 15 years nearly...but still pumped out a game every year...even if it was awful...but has finally come good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Devil May Cry 2 very nearly killed the franchise on its second outing, but Devil May Cry 3 managed to save it. 4 is a bit in the middle, but was still good enough to keep the ball rolling.

DmC punctured the ball, spray-painted a pair of boobies on it and put its cigarette out on it because that's what the cool kids all do, then threw the ball in the river while giving a black nail-polished finger to "the man". It was awful. Completely awful. Gameplay, story, characters, tone, enemies, weapons... it failed on almost every level. I'd be more surprised if they released a sequel to it rather than if they went back to the originals and just went with Devil May Cry 5 and pretend DmC never existed. It's not worth saving.

But, it's likely the franchise is now just dead altogether. It survived DMC2. It couldn't survive DmC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

COD

From my favourite to something I don't even contemplate. Even now with WWII getting good reviews I have next to no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Sim City 2013. That was a major fcukup. Limiting the city sizes to a max 1/4 of what previous titles allowed. The debacle over the requirement to be always online for SP, with EA continuously saying that it was not possible to remove the requirement, which was quickly proven to be false.

It was another EA push to release something that wasn't ready, deliberately limited compared to previous titles. It's a shame really as the Sim City franchise was always a guaranteed buy for me (yes, including this farce of a release).

I don't expect to see another Sim City for quite a long while, and by all accounts, Cities: Skyline have taken the City Building crown.

Sim City 2013. That was a major fcukup. Limiting the city sizes to a max 1/4 of what previous titles allowed. The debacle over the requirement to be always online for SP, with EA continuously saying that it was not possible to remove the requirement, which was quickly proven to be false.

It was another EA push to release something that wasn't ready, deliberately limited compared to previous titles. It's a shame really as the Sim City franchise was always a guaranteed buy for me (yes, including this farce of a release).

I don't expect to see another Sim City for quite a long while, and by all accounts, Cities: Skyline have taken the City Building crown.

Jesus yeah, that was some shit show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The Sims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

C

Other examples where I think sequels have badly messed up are:

Dawn of War 3
    Empire Earth 3
    The Force Unleaded 2
    Duke Nukem Forever

Indeed, the switch from Diesel ruined the franchise.

Someone mentioned DmC, I'll have to respectfully disagree on that one. I'd played the original Devil May Cry back on ps2, and while DmC isn't the same type of game, judged on its own, a very entertaining way to spend 12 or so hours. The combat and combo system is deep enough that it rewards practice, but button mashers will still be able to fallback on a few set moves to get them through the game. The story is completely over the top nonsense, but it definitely has its own self aware sense of style. The nightclub mission was a particular highlight.

In games that ruined a franchise, if Asassins Creed 3 and Unity pretty much squandered what goodwill that series had generated.

COD Ghosts, was a disappointment on every level coming off the back of the exceptional Black Ops 2, and they're still trying to right the ship by going back to the WW2 setting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight. Took a pretty good formula with C&C3, and completely changed it. Required always online even for single player, no base building, and a terrible (even by C&C's standard) plot.

Fifa :o it went down hill from '96

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dead Space went downhill from 1 to 2, could be accepted as a change of pace. I personally liked 2, but Jesus Dead Space 3 was some crock of ****e, let's turn a creepy sci-fi horror set in confined dark places, to fighting people in the snow. Meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kiith wrote: »
    Command & Conquer: Tiberian Twilight. Took a pretty good formula with C&C3, and completely changed it. Required always online even for single player, no base building, and a terrible (even by C&C's standard) plot.

Came here to post this; C&C3 was solid, ditto Red Alert 3 (even if it ramped up the zaniness to Eleventystupid) but Tiberian Twilight and that awful Tiberian Alliances webgame... thing, really ploughed the franchise into the ground. The failed Generals 2 that had a brief multiplayer beta looked OK, but I never liked that universe myself. If ever there was a need for a 'back to basics' style reboot, it's the RTS genre & C&C particularly.

Here's one for the group though; it's not a franchise ruined by a terrible sequel, but in the sense that the franchise is currently sitting in legal purgatory: No One Lives Forever. Two fantastic games back in the early 2000s, then disappeared into limbo. Here's an article outlining how 3 potential rights holders are in a locked state of letting nobody own the franchise properly:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/05/no-one-will-sell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Forgot about No One Lives Forever, a great fun game. I must dig out my copy if it.

How about the Halo series? They still going strong or have 4 and 5 drained it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Rome II Total War has ruined Total War for me. I'm not even interested in Warhammer.

Crash Bandicoot jumped the shark when it moved to PS2, same with Spyro.

I think in ten years time we might see ESO as the moment Elder Scrolls died.

MGS V was a brilliant game but I think it was the end of Metal Gear, Kojima or not. Kojima was smart to leave, MGS V wasn't a proper Metal Gear game and he had run out things to say. Which is a shame, should have left it at 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Forgot about No One Lives Forever, a great fun game. I must dig out my copy if it.

I haven't played 5 but 4 did it for me. The relationship between Cortana and Chief was the heart of the series. When she died there was nothing really left. It was just another generic first person shooter, one which felt very tired in Halo 4. The multiplayer was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm going to say Football Manager. I had religiously played those games for a decade, pretty much only game I'd have at times, right from the Championship Manager era.

But last 1 I bought was 2014, because by then it had become an annual release with little innovation and just new team squads and a little bit of new paint. The game play had become over weighted by detail, without any sense of reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lucas Raycevick did a great series of revisits to Halo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Dawn of War 3
    Empire Earth 3
    The Force Unleaded 2
    Duke Nukem Forever

Dawn of War 2 killed in for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Four was still an enjoyable addition to the series.
    They lost it with 5 though, the campaign is only fun to play with friends and the multiplayer is very meh and forgettable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sim City
    Command And conquer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was hardcore addicted to Halo up to Reach but I think they kinda messed it up from 4 onwards, that said I don't think they're 'ruined', they've just changed so much that I don't love them anymore - no different to the direction COD went, but literally millions upon millions of people still play it so I wouldn't say ruined either.

Game franchises I think were genuinely totally ruined by terrible entries:

Command and Conquer post RA3
    Dawn of War 3
    Perfect Dark Zero

Force Unleashed 2 might have been disappointing but I still thought it was a pretty cool, fun game. Feel the same about stuff like Halo 5, Duke Nukem Forever, etc. Disappointing but not franchise killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Burnout Paradise. Loved the series before that but it just wasn't the series to turn into an open world game.
    PES 2008 from PES 6 took about 6 or 7 years to recover from too. At least I think it recovered :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fifa

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

The older need for speeds were great fun, simple formula. Newer ones just didnt work, for me at least.

Used to love rally games like wrc, v rally and colin mcrae stuff. The new ones are poor with not much cars to choose from

Gran turismo. Used to love the grind, the licences, the prize cars for winning competitions, the choice of tracks. The new ones, though good, took all that away from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I thought age of empires 3 was balls.

Still play two every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

Assassin's Creed not mentioned yet.

Personally it went downhill after II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

cml387 wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed not mentioned yet.

Personally it went downhill after II.

I mostly agree but Black Flag was just so great overall that it almost saved the franchise for me again.

Advertisement